Thinking of jumping from dish to Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Joe891

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
With all of the deal Directv is offering especially since I already have the at&t unlimited plus plan Directv is looking more and more attractive. With that said what equipment would be best to get? I've had dish for years (had Directv back in the standard def days). Is the on demand selection any better than dish? Is the pq really that much better?

Picture quality is better, how much is a matter of your eyes. You are likely to get a Genie and clients. If you have a 4k tv, then you will get an HR54 Genie which can have other dvrs with it, or an HS17 which only works with clients. Either one will need a C61k client in order to get 4k to the tv.

Reactions: Joe891
Having a larger tv, the PQ is obviously better on Directv.

I recently bundled with my ATT gigabit and went back to Directv, got the HR54 and a C61k so I could get 4K. Excellent deal, I pay $140/month for 24 months to have gigabit internet and Directv xtra all included.

Pq is better on Direct but I wouldn’t jump unless you get 2 years worth of credits instead of just one year. It can get expensive.

Reactions: Mo Fly
I placed my order. No 4k here but I was told since I have at&t unlimited plus I will receive the all included pricing for 2 years and HBO and $25 off for life. I got the genie with 3 minis with the choice package which I'll be paying less than I pay now for the flex pack on dish. The pq has improved over the summer with dish but it wasn't on all of the channels. So far dish is making it really difficult to just cancel and all they tried to offer me was the next package up for $10 less than I pay them now

Also any clue what genie I would get? I've been looking around this side of the forum for the first time alot today and I see the genie goes from hr34 to hr54 and also the hs17

I just switched from AT&T (direct) to Dish... had the ability to compare side by side for a week. The picture quality between the two is negligible... with a plasma TV or my Samsung 4k TV. The biggest picture quality difference was on the guide. Dish text was soft compared to ATT.

Of course now that ATT is switching to the new guide, that could be different.

I wouldn't go. I like Dish much better, not really close for me since getting the Hopper 3 & no longer rabid NFL fan the PQ is so close it's a wash. Directv has been borderline harassing me recently about coming back, offering everything but kitchen sink. They even offered paying off my Dish contract and called 4 times just last week twice within minutes of each other. It's like they won't take NO for an answer.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Also any clue what genie I would get? I've been looking around this side of the forum for the first time alot today and I see the genie goes from hr34 to hr54 and also the hs17
You won't get an HR34, they aren't installing them anymore. If you tell them you have a 4k television you will get the HR54. Most get the HR44 unless the installer only has the HR54. The HS17 doesn't allow the use of dvrs, only clients. It does output two 4k streams.

If you think Dish's PQ is close or the difference is negligible, you either sit too far away from a smaller tv, or need glasses.

Both look the same on a 42" from 10 feet, on a 65" from 9 feet, yeah, it ain't even close. Carry on though, because people never take that into consideration when they compare PQ.

I have a 75" now and it pushes the limits of Directv, I would hate to see Dish.

If you think Dish's PQ is close or the difference is negligible, you either sit too far away from a smaller tv, or need glasses.

Both look the same on a 42" from 10 feet, on a 65" from 9 feet, yeah, it ain't even close. Carry on though, because people never take that into consideration when they compare PQ.

I just dumped Directv after 6 1/2 years so had both services side by side mainly for Sunday Ticket over a full year for comparison, PQ was close enough I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I do have 2 Sony 930D 65" TV's and sit 9' away and don't need glasses 20-20 except for reading.

Let's see. I have 20/15 vision. I have a 65" plasma that I sit 8' away from and a 4k 65" that I can sit 7' from.

When is the last time you had both Dish and AT&T comparing side by side on your tv, at home? Carry on though, because people never take that into consideration when they compare PQ.

You have different opinions? Fine.. but don't attack and insult other people because you THINK you know what everyone else does/doesn't have.

I sit 10 ft from a 110” inch screen. I did compare side by side Dish and Direct. The compression on Dish was awful. I dumped Dish in a week and took the ETF.
I will say that was a few years back. Things may have changed with Dish today.

(mod hat on) Let's talk issues and not other posters please. (mod hat off)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)