Thinking of switching

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spec1alk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I am currently a DishNetwork subscriber. I am thinking of switching. I did some searches on these forums, but the information I found comparing Dish to DTV was 2.5 years old.

I am on a package that is no longer sold (Dish America Silver). I am paying $54.99/mo + $7/mo for DVR. I have a ViP722 receiver. The channels that I have that are important to me (I don't watch SD, so HD is required):
  • Locals
  • ESPN
  • NFL Network
  • Food Network
  • TNT
  • TBS
  • USA
  • Golf Channel
  • Bravo
  • Discovery
  • Science (nice to have)
  • National Geographic (nice to have)

DirecTV is running a special right now that has attractive pricing and includes the NFL Sunday Ticket (which is a very nice value-add for me).

I am looking at my options. I would love to cut the cord and move to a ROKU or something similar. It seems that sports (in particular NFL) is just not where it needs to be for streaming yet.

I went to DirecTV and was chatting with an agent. They said that there would be a monthly fee on top of the promotional pricing, of around $16/mo. These extra fees irritate me to no end. The price of the package should include everything, don't nickel and dime me to death.

I would be interested in staying with Dish if they would upgrade my equipment, but I threatened to leave a few months ago when my receiver died and they wouldn't do anything for me.

I also have Fiber Optic in my neighborhood and they have some attractive packages, however I am worried that the equipment will be junk.

I guess I am looking for recommendations? My biggest concern with DTV right now is price. It seems that even though it may be cheaper now, after a year or 2 years it will easily be more than I am paying now.

the extra 16/month is probably the receiver fees, depending on how many tvs you have, i would assume the 25$ genie charge -10 promo for autopay, not sure about the last buck. and any clients after that are 6/month along with a rsn fee if applicable. the 25 for the genie includes hd and dvr access for the account.

One thing not to overlook is the aaa and or referal discounts, if you are a aaa member, then check out www.aaa.com/directv and sign up through there, you get an extra 10/month off for 20 months, and if you are not then ask a staff member for a referral here, thats 10/month off for 10 months. These are both ontop of the current promotion (excluding the extra 5 if you sign up online [if that is currently running]) so if your choice package is 29.99 for a year (after the 5 online rebate) the choice package would be 24.99 (34.99-10) for either aaa or referral customers.

54.99 + $7 cant be your only items on the bill,
dish and directv both have a fee for hd service
directv has the $3 whole home fee

with a single tv both waive the first receiver fee, only secondary tvs get the fee

the program package the OP has is a HD only package that is no longer sold. So yeah his pricing is right. When I had dish for 6 months I had same package and it was 49.99 (at the time) + 7 DVR fee

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts