Thinking of switching

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
I am finding directvs offer of free Sunday ticket and paying my early termination fee with dish hard to pass up. However I do have a couple of questions.

First off. I have three tvs. My main tv in my basement where I would have the genie. A second tv in our living room which would have a client. And a third small hd tv in the kitchen which would also get a client. Now, say I'm watching a football game in the basement and want to go up to kitchen to eat supper. I leave the tv going in the basement and go up to the kitchen and turn the client on and tune to the same game. Is that going to use two tuners or will the two boxes share a tuner like the hopper and Joey does?

Second. If I'm going to make the switch I want the latest and greatest. How will I know when the hr-44 will be available nationally or at least in my area? I figure I might as well wait until it is. Or do I have to play the game of signing up for service and just keep refusing the install until they come with a hr-44?

There is a test market going currently, but without knowing where you at, we don't know if your in one of them ...

More and more installers are reporting them coming into their warehouse, so they appear to be spreading quickly.

I am in South Dakota. My locals come from Sioux Falls so I assume that is my market.

Anyone have any input on my first question?

I am not sure on tuner usage, one feature I miss from the hopper is knowing what tuners are doing what.

Will this cause you issues, or are you just curious?

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say they share the tuner. I may be way off however.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Is that going to use two tuners or will the two boxes share a tuner like the hopper and Joey does?

In the situation you describe, three TV's and one Hopper, if nothing is recording no Tuner needs to be shared. If one tuner is being used to record, two of three TV's would still have it's own Tuner. So for Direct TV is your real question does the box in the Kitchen and Living Room have tuners? No, not for the normal install but Direct TV does allow you to have another Tuner at another location, Dish presently can do it with another Hopper, but won't allow it with say a 722 or 612 etc. (211K situation aside)

I didn't see that as the question, but I may be mistaken.

I would do a couple of things..
Basement..Genie HR34/HR44.... 5 tuners
Livingroom... HD DVR HR23 OR HR24.... 2 tuners
Kitchen... H25..1 tuner..no record capabilities on unit, but can record to Genie

The H25 is only about 8 inches wide so it is a small footprint.. it does use an external powerbrick, but that is a minor inconvenience IMHO.

Just do a little research, if you have any more questions Msg me...

Attached is a pic of my sons H25..its on top, his blu ray is on bottom

Attachments

• 1370214444091.jpg
    1370214444091.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 107
Pk. Thanks for the pic. I thought about going that way but I would rather have the client box. Smith you had it right the way you read my question. This is not an issue or a deal breaker just figuring out how it would work. Usually there is only one tv in use at a time in my house. Kids only watch tv during the day when I'm working and wife and I always watch together.

I just like the way with the hopper you can use one tuner to power multiple tvs. If the genie behaves that way then you could have the same program going in all three rooms and still be able to record 4 programs.

Ok....You are welcome for the pic..I hope you enjoy which ever way you go..

I've had an H25 in the past. It's a very nice, fast receiver. But I'm not a fan of not being able to pause live tv. I also thought about going the route of Genie in basement, HR24 in living room, and a client box in the kitchen. I like that setup because of two extra tuners in the living room, however, I'm not a fan of the hard drive noise. I would like to eliminate that if possible. I figure since we are getting by with 3 tuners on the Hopper and no issues that the 5 of the Genie should be more than enough.

Anyone have any info on if the HR-44 is available in my market? I really don't want to order and then have to keep canceling the install until they have them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)