Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I finally found the BUD that I want to harvest!

Stopped the other day and a little old lady came to the door - - - I asked her about the satellite dish and she said it I could get it - - - take it for free. She did say it had not been used for over 10 years and that she knew it was set in "alot of concrete"

Looks to be about an 8 footer - - - (maybe 10 but I think 8)

Several questions:

1. Is this one worth it and does anyone know details on this dish?
2. Long underground cable goes all the way back to her house - - Get that?
3. May cut pipe off at the ground and put up a new pipe at my house (thoughts)
4. What are the gotcha's?

Here are some PIX

Attachments

• CM-BUD.jpg
    CM-BUD.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Back-BUD.jpg
    Back-BUD.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Back-BUD2.jpg
    Back-BUD2.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 201
  • BUD-Motor.jpg
    BUD-Motor.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Center-Label.jpg
    Center-Label.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 189
Sweet! Nice dish.
With a bit of clean up you are going to have a great BUD there. Looks like a 7 or maybe an 8 footer. You'd have to measure to be sure.

There are lots of dos and don'ts. First of all, go a day or two ahead of your intended removal date and spray down all nuts and bolts etc. with a good penetrating oil. It will make life so much easier for you.
As far as the cable, if you can get it do it but if you have to dig up the yard to do it you might want to reconsider. At the very least make very sure the homeowner knows EXACTLY what you intend to do.

I have never had one like that but I'm sure someone here will have some more advice on it.

Nice find!

My random thoughts:

Looks to be a well-made fiberglass dish, it will be pretty heavy.

Might want to string test it before committing to removing it.

It might not be capable of Ku, not a problem if you desire C-only.

If the existing underground is in a conduit I might get it but I wouldn't mess with it otherwise, too much work/cleanup/possibility of damage. I would use new ribbon cable or new coax/actuator wiring on whatever dish you decide to put up.

As big and heavy as that dish it I bet there IS a big chunk of concrete in the ground. I would cut the pole off at the top of the concrete (hopefully that is a little below grade), you can always extend the part that goes in the ground with any size pipe that will work, doesn't even have to be perfectly straight, just get the portion that the dish sits on, plumb.

I don't know what kind of availability you have but I would consider looking for a 10 footer, the extra size is helpful for the S2 signals, and a 10' mesh dish would be a lot easier to install than that fiber beast.

Good luck!

The question will be then . . . .

Can I make my dish look at good as McGuyver's?

That is pretty cool stuff
- - -- McGuyver and ACRadio do you have any words of wisdom for me on the harvesting of this Channel Master?

That is a 8-foot SMC by Channel Master, an bet it has all stainless hardware too, if I was you I would grab it, they are very great performers for signal.
my 10-footer here will out perform any of my other 10-footers on C-band by a little bit, but on Ku it will beat the mess dishes by a great deal.
the only down side is they are very heavy.
an as far as making it look good I just used a pressure washer with bleach on mine an was shocked how clean it got.

mine here is a 10-foot, notice the extra space between at the edge of the dish to where the feed legs bolt.
the 1st picture is how it look before removal, it had a black slim on it, the dish was on the edge of a swamp.
the 2nd picture is the only 1 that I have of the front of the dish.
I call mine a ChannelView

Attachments

• 100_0110.JPG
    100_0110.JPG
    857 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0128.JPG
    100_0128.JPG
    522.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_0137.JPG
    100_0137.JPG
    532.9 KB · Views: 160
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)