This is interesting....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Taken from a news clip regarding dbs provider.

I wonder what "Motorola Black Box" they were talking about. Digicipher II maybe?
I have always wondered who was at fault for all the hacking.
I know this is not a c-band topic (sort of) but since it names Motorola then It will be a point of interest for us C-banders.

SANTA ANA, Calif., May 7 (Reuters) - DISH Network Corp has engaged in the same kind of satellite television piracy that it accused News Corp unit NDS Group of in a lawsuit, a lawyer for NDS argued on Wednesday during closing arguments in the case.

Attorney Darin Snyder told the jury in his closing remarks that DISH (DISH.O: Quote, Profile, Research) employed an infamous hacker and attempted to crack the encryption codes of rivals in the satellite TV business.

DISH has sued NDS (NNDS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) in a corporate espionage case that has the potential for damages of $1.6 billion if a jury finds against the News Corp (NWSa.N: Quote, Profile, Research) unit and awards punitive damages.

Jury deliberations were set to begin in the high-profile case as early as Thursday morning.

"The plaintiffs are doing the same with practically everything they're complaining about with NDS," Snyder said. "They had a multi-million-dollar project where they tried to break into a Motorola (black) box."

IF.....this accusation is really true - What a cheap shot!

Makes you wonder who really does support all the black market technology. I know in most cases it would be out of the expertise and knowledge of most average people.

maybe it stems from way back
i know the first Black box was actually a videocipher modual ( or VC box for short) and i think General Instruments marketed it.

later it was revamped to be called the VCRS ( videocipher renwewable security) hence the card slot.

i suspect this was the same type of technology that made up the first Dish & Direct boxes, i know the renewable security part made it sound uncrackable , once it was found to be hacked then you could just renew the security software.

since then GI was bought by Motorola

but this news article actually to me sounds more like corparate esponage and backwards engineering type stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)