This is sad

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Was browsing the net and found these pictures. Someone turned a c band dish into a reflector for an OTA tv antenna. What a waste of a c band dish :(

Attachments

• Image003-2.jpg
    Image003-2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 295
  • Image036.jpg
    Image036.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 334
Hmm...........wonder what the gain is with that..........you'd have a heck of a time getting it high enough to make any use of the extra gain though. Some people will try anything!

well at least the dish didnt up in a landfill or the scrap pile.
as long as it could be retrofitted back to a c band dish that would be ok. Now if that could get me Milwaukee Locals ota it would be well worth it. I wonder if I put mine behind my Winegard HD8200P how well it would work.

Here is another one:
http://www.rocketroberts.com/cm4251/images/alderman_uhf.jpg

Apparently parabolic UHF antennas work quite well.

Channel Master 4251 Tribute Page

The 7 foot parabolic UHF antenna is about the best you can get for gain. It works on the same theory as our satellite dishes do. Except of reflecting to the LNB it reflects to the driven elements (2 Bowtie's used on that thing)

Back in the 70's they were use on bars with tall towers to get the football and hockey games that were blacked out locally. The other option they used was stacked Yagi's but the parabolic dish was still better.

My house came with one of the Channel Master parabolics and it is a GREAT antenna! I've seen that tribute page before and some of the stuff people do is crazy. Making an array with 4 or 6 of 'em........and folks think a BUD is ugly!

I worked with them quite a bit because in our rural areas all that was available was C-Band or UHF. The parabolic antennas were less money than a BUD so there were many many of them.

up by our cabin I see a bunch of them on bars & hotels. At the time the only TV stations around there were low powered translator stations you see 2 or 3 of them set up (since the translator stations were in different directions)

next time I'm up there I'll take a couple pics

I was going to mention the legendary channel master 4251. parabolic kicks tail on UHF.
Its actually a nice idea. You still need the uhf yagi's reflector to prevent multipath problems.

the old venerable 4251 has a oven rack looking grid over the driven elements that only let the it see the parabolic grid. a lot of tv dx'ers use the 4251's that still exist.

Well I've come up with another good use for the eight and ten foot reflectors so at least they not heading to the scrap yard. There going to be used as covers for some of my garden plants next year so I don't have to use any chemicals on them.

oh yeah they work for UHF , tell me about it. a home made version of the channel master 2 meter parabolic reflector (I found out it was a channel master after I came to canada) plus a 3 stage low noise also home made (High Ft , low noise transistors bought in miami , fla) pre-amplifier with a run of RG-59 (or a russian made coaxial with very itchy fiber glass depending whether a friend of yours was in the cuban army or not) became very popular for a few years before I left 7 years ago. Univision and Telemundo stations broadcasting from Miami , 180 miles away, became the new "cuban tv" in my neighborhood in Cojimar (Remember The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway novel based on a fisherman's life in my hometown?). With only a minor fading for 2 seconds or less and just a few days through out the year you could follow the sopa operas and spanish news and even the Florida Marlins on the Miami CH 33 UPN affiliate when they started every single day (not the marlins , only when they broadcasted it obviously). Before, the stacked yagis or single high gain yaguis or any other antenna-booster combination would give you reception throughout the year (thankls mostly to the summer like caribbean weather and thus to the tropospheric duct) but never reliably and consistently every day even during the winter months like with the big monster 2 meter parabolic reflector.

Oh! , those were the good days , lol.

I think I found him at Rick's forum. There is somebody there that posts every Ku signal they get as a wild feed. Yesterday was the NBC mux on AMC6 Ku.

Is the spelling and grammar usage really bad... if so then you found him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts