This is why we like HDM

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
These pics were posted on AVS by Xylon, shows Shoot em up DVD vs BD in these two. Check how clear the signs are behind Clive Owen. I saw the same thing on RE, when viewing thru the Umbrella camera, the lettering on the display was much clearer.

DVD
DVD.png

BD
HD.png

These are a good example of the strengths of HD media over DVD, even upscaled DVD.

Even the best cell processor cannot scale up and fill in what is missing. Toshiba's cell processing may provide a great upscaling, but it still will not be able to make up bits for those that are missing. Super scaling technology may keep a lot of people satisfied, but there is no way to claim that HD images can be scaled form DVD no matter how much CPU.

And here is the same frame in a x264 720p re-encode using DVD bitrates (under 6Mbps).

Is almost 5 times higher bitrate for this particular frame worth it?
It is most certainly closer to Blu-ray than to DVD.
At a size smaller than DVD. At bitrates many internet connections would be able to handle today.

Diogen.

Attachments

• Shoot_Pic.png
    Shoot_Pic.png
    283.1 KB · Views: 266
It's definitely not as good. However, Xylon has a projector. It will always be more apparent. It won't be as much so with people on 42" screens that sit 10 feet away. When players get down to $100, it won't matter. However, people will laugh at paying $400 for the better picture quality.

The difference is obvious. But to me it's not worth paying a whole lot more money for. A little more money, yes, a lot more money, no. I assume the above screenshots are from a static scene where the difference would best show up. In a moving scene - not analyzed frame by frame - the difference would not be as noticeable.

I definitely like HD movies. And when the prices come way down and the selection goes way up, I'll surely buy some more. Right now, the price and selection of DVDs majorly tilts the scale against HD media. Unfortunate, but true.

It's definitely not as good. However, Xylon has a projector. It will always be more apparent. It won't be as much so with people on 42" screens that sit 10 feet away. When players get down to $100, it won't matter. However, people will laugh at paying $400 for the better picture quality.

Yepp, same thing goes for the 1080p effect.

More I get in to looking for my new tv, and researching my viewing distance and estimated tv size (50"), 1080p looks less important.

Come on man, did you go look at them on AVS?

If you cant see the difference in the sharpness, especially on the writing behind him, we may need to make you an appointment.

Come on man, did you go look at them on AVS?

If you cant see the difference in the sharpness, especially on the writing behind him, we may need to make you an appointment.

No, I only looked at the two you posted here. But then again, I am in the midst of a flu-induced fever, so I may need an appointment, but not for my vision... :D

I am sure there is a huge difference, but I also know that so much depends on the set you are looking at, the distance, and its calibration.

BUT you do know, I don't go to "that" site... :D ;)

Ive run this by a few people who have HDTVs but do not own HD media, have been watching upscaled DVDs.

They all agreed that while this looks nice, it isn't enough improvement to make them want to spend a few hundred dollars on a new player, and whatever it would cost to repurchase the movies they already own. Like me, they own a 150-300 DVDs. These are the type of people BD/HD needs to win over, $300 players and $25-$30 media aren't going to do it, get them down to a $20 MSRP and you may have some new customers. They aren't interested in having to track down a sale, or massaging some deal to get the players and media under some magical price to make the cost look better.

No, I only looked at the two you posted here. But then again, I am in the midst of a flu-induced fever, so I may need an appointment, but not for my vision... :D

I am sure there is a huge difference, but I also know that so much depends on the set you are looking at, the distance, and its calibration.

BUT you do know, I don't go to "that" site... :D ;)

Hehe.

Ive run this by a few people who have HDTVs but do not own HD media, have been watching upscaled DVDs.

They all agreed that while this looks nice, it isn't enough improvement to make them want to spend a few hundred dollars on a new player, and whatever it would cost to repurchase the movies they already own. Like me, they own a 150-300 DVDs. These are the type of people BD/HD needs to win over, $300 players and $25-$30 media aren't going to do it, get them down to a $20 MSRP and you may have some new customers. They aren't interested in having to track down a sale, or massaging some deal to get the players and media under some magical price to make the cost look better.

The one thing I agree on is not buying most older movies. I own around 125 dvd's, most I wont be replacing. This is why the catalogs are not doing well.

I'm just not seeing the difference between the two pictures.

I saw the difference. The SD DVD is blurrier with details not as apparent. I just watched The Searchers on HD DVD. (wonderful, racist movie--great transfer) I'm now watching All that Heaven Allows on SD DVD upscaled. Both are on a 57" DLP. I still see pimples under make-up on SD DVD. No, I don't see pores. However, I've seen pores on SD DVD's before. A lot of it has to do with the size of a screen. I know I don't see film grain on SD DVD's. I see chroma noise, dirt and scratches, but no grain. It's not as sharp. However, I can switch sharpness on with a simple TV control. Moreover, many cheap LCD's add edge definition by default no matter what.

HDM players will need to come down in price A LOT for the average high def owner (42" Vizio LCD) to even care.

I saw the difference. The SD DVD is blurrier with details not as apparent. I just watched The Searchers on HD DVD. (wonderful, racist movie--great transfer) I'm now watching All that Heaven Allows on SD DVD upscaled. Both are on a 57" DLP. I still see pimples under make-up on SD DVD. No, I don't see pores. However, I've seen pores on SD DVD's before. A lot of it has to do with the size of a screen. I know I don't see film grain on SD DVD's. I see chroma noise, dirt and scratches, but no grain. It's not as sharp. However, I can switch sharpness on with a simple TV control. Moreover, many cheap LCD's add edge definition by default no matter what.

HDM players will need to come down in price A LOT for the average high def owner (42" Vizio LCD) to even care.

What model DLP? Are you happy with it?

Im in tv buying mode right now and doing a buncha research.

This is a poor example. Certainly not enough difference to drag the reminaing 98% of the disc market to HDM.

good post.

Im glad you continue to bag on the BD30 while talking out of your ***.

Ask Teachsac if you dont believe me. While not AS sharp as the A2 in upconversion, its close.

BTW, I USED to have an HDDVD player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts