Thunderbolt - Super fast

Also to save battery life when not using the blue tooth turn it off, same with wifi, gps and sync plus turn the lights off also.

Sent from my LG Optimus T using SatelliteGuys

I wanted to test something out this morning by using only 3G and to see how long the battery would last. I took the phone off the charger at 5:45 this morning and I have used it pretty heavy which has included playing Wordfeud with friends, listening to podcasts, checking email 3 times, and surfed a little internet. My battery is down to 58% left with all that in about 5 hours. When I did the same thing on 4G, the phone was dead after about 3 hours. So the 4G really does suck the life out of the battery. I called HTC about the problem and all they told me was to download the app that allows you to get to the menu to switch off the 4G/LTE radio until they come out with a permanent fix.

After 6 1/2 hours of use, it is down to 45%. I am going to have to charge it though because I won't be home for a while since I am not going straight home after work. I really think the main culprit is the 4G service for killing batteries.

I called HTC about the problem and all they told me was to download the app that allows you to get to the menu to switch off the 4G/LTE radio until they come out with a permanent fix.

What was the name of that app? I'd like to install it here and run some tightly controlled testing.

Need to read this too: HTC Thunderbolt: How to Get Better Battery Life [Android]

cybok0 said:
Also to save battery life when not using the blue tooth turn it off, same with wifi, gps and sync plus turn the lights off also.

Sent from my LG Optimus T using SatelliteGuys

Unless you have a badly written app or a terrible rom the gps doesn't operate until called on, so it's no need to disable it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SatelliteGuys

You'll probably find that the LTE radio is a power hog.

The wimax radios are and I wouldn't be surprised that the LTE radio is as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

John- From what I have seen so far, the LTE radio doesn't tax the battery any more than any other radio in the system. Obviously, adding one more radio device adds to the current load on the battery but what I see here is the cause and effect of having an access to the internet that is efficient so that one tends to use it more. e.g. using the LTE to surf the net and in particular to play games and watch more video requires you use the screen more. The screen is the real drain on the battery, not the radio. I can keep the LTE active all day and when I rarely use the phone that turns on the screen, the battery can last easily 7-8 hours. Yesterday was dead, no phone calls and I only checked e-mail twice, and used the phone for about 15 minutes to shoot some still and video and then send those files to my wife's e-mail. The TBolt was pulled off the charger at 8AM and I got the 15% warning at midnight. 16 hours on one battery with the LTE active. So, a good question would be how much longer would the battery hold up had I switched to 3G or EVDO radio only?

Personally, I think the LTE is getting an unfair rap on this battery issue. Like you have an old clunker of a car you hate to drive so it sits in the driveway most of the time. Then you buy a new fancy car that is fun and you drive it all the time now. Guess what? I'd bet your gas cost per week on that new car is quite a bit more than the old clunker! :)

Don Landis said:
John- From what I have seen so far, the LTE radio doesn't tax the battery any more than any other radio in the system. Obviously, adding one more radio device adds to the current load on the battery but what I see here is the cause and effect of having an access to the internet that is efficient so that one tends to use it more. e.g. using the LTE to surf the net and in particular to play games and watch more video requires you use the screen more. The screen is the real drain on the battery, not the radio. I can keep the LTE active all day and when I rarely use the phone that turns on the screen, the battery can last easily 7-8 hours. Yesterday was dead, no phone calls and I only checked e-mail twice, and used the phone for about 15 minutes to shoot some still and video and then send those files to my wife's e-mail. The TBolt was pulled off the charger at 8AM and I got the 15% warning at midnight. 16 hours on one battery with the LTE active. So, a good question would be how much longer would the battery hold up had I switched to 3G or EVDO radio only?

Personally, I think the LTE is getting an unfair rap on this battery issue. Like you have an old clunker of a car you hate to drive so it sits in the driveway most of the time. Then you buy a new fancy car that is fun and you drive it all the time now. Guess what? I'd bet your gas cost per week on that new car is quite a bit more than the old clunker! :)

Yeah but Ramy's test did not sound like he was using the heck out of it, just normal usage. I suspect Apple is paying close attention to these issues as they figure how to get LTE into the next iPhone. 3 hours of battery life would certainly not be magical. LOL

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

My point is that with normal 3G use on a phone, people do not pound the download for hours on end, with either HD sling player which also uses the display, but even with streaming music will be actively running the LTE radio for hours. With LTE, they can so they do. With 3G, the burst speeds for stuff like a web page load is adequately fast but for streaming it can and often does stop to buffer. This becomes annoying so people just don't make a habit of it. With LTE, being so fast and capable, they will USE IT more and this use will be a heavier drain on the battery.

I did find that using the TBolt in a normal way, with the LTE radio in standby my battery lasts about the same as I had with my old htc TP2. But, there will be those days when my use will be heavy and therefore having the spare battery will be necessary, just as it was with the older TP2.

I downloaded the LTE on/off app and did a test Saturday with the phone in 3G all day and discovered that with the LTE radio off, and in 3G ( EVDO ) mode. the battery (1600mAh) was only down to 48% by midnight. Talk time was under 8 minutes all day. So, compared to the day before, yes, the LTE radio does add as suspected, to the battery drain, however, I don't consider it a game ender for LTE. Rather, now that I have the app switch, I can turn on LTE when I need it and conserve more when I don't. In effect, the shutting off of LTE when not needed, I could get nearly 24-30 hours of standby time with moderate e-mail and a few brief phone calls.

BTW- the app I used allowed for some interesting options. I can use LTE ON or put it in EVDO only ( LTE is off), or auto switch between radios depending on what service is available, the latter is what I believe is default factory.

Don,

I don't consider the battery life a game ender. You did show that the lte radio strains the battery gayer.

My evo had battery drain issues, but the battery life has improved dramatically with the use of Cyanogenmod. It has consistently given better battery life than stock rom with and without Wimax running.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

To be a game ender we have to look at two issues- the social use issue as well as the electronics engineering issue.

If you give a user a new toy that works well ( LTE) but if he uses it the battery won't last long enough to work like before for the other parts of the device, it will be an end game. The use of the phone at minimum needs to last for the typical personal day, be charged up at minimum overnight for the next day. That will be satisfactory for most users. Add something to a phone that increases it's use and if the phone can't last the device will not sell. The engineering aspect still shows that the biggest drain on the phone is the display, but some uses such as LTE may cause one to operate the phone with display on more causing a much faster drain on the battery than the radio LTE itself.
People like us can figure out how to make the device work for our needs, but the average public will just expect that adding LTE will not cause the other uses to suffer. If it does, the game ends.

Probably what I ended up installing Circle with a red lightning bolt icon?

Yesterday we drove out of town about 45 miles, south on I 95 past St. Augustine to Anastasia Island. I expected to get pushed back to 3G but to my surprise, I never lost LTE service the whole trip. Demonstrated my TBolt for a relative there showing a download speed of 19mbps. Then I played some high def stuff off of my sling player. He was blown away by the speed. He uses an iphone 4 on AT&T and his speed test showed 350kbps. :D Neither St. Augustine nor Anastasia Island is on the Verizon LTE list.

I was able to play with a Thunderbolt over the weekend. To my surprise the LTE network wasn't very impressive on Download. However, Upload was mind blowing. Download was 5-5.5Mbps which is the same I had with my iPhone 4. However, my Atrix, because of the pending software update is much slower.

I think everyone needs to put this in to prospective on LTE. At this time there is fraction of LTE subscribers compared to WiMax and HSPA+. I still will not call HSPA+ 4G like the rest of the world.

I was able to play with a Thunderbolt over the weekend. To my surprise the LTE network wasn't very impressive on Download. However, Upload was mind blowing. Download was 5-5.5Mbps which is the same I had with my iPhone 4. However, my Atrix, because of the pending software update is much slower.

I think everyone needs to put this in to prospective on LTE. At this time there is fraction of LTE subscribers compared to WiMax and HSPA+. I still will not call HSPA+ 4G like the rest of the world.

I just did a test and my download is 15.84Mbps and upload is 4.23Mbps