Thunderstorm Preparation

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi all,

I was just wondering what safeguards, if any you take in advance of an approaching Thunderstorm.
Personally, I unplug the powerstrip that powers my stb (edision mio) and my dish mover (ASC 1).
BTW...my dish is grounded also.

John

UPS systems, and ALL grounded to the house ground. I take no other precautions. Also, both my tv antenna system, and FTA systems (C-band and KU dish) have survived several lightning ground pulse strikes within our neighborhood in the last year. Closest one was only around 500' down the block, and I almost jumped to the ceiling when the blast went off, as my patio door faces where it hit the tree and blasted off the top of it.

We lost equipment once from a very close strike and once was enough. I routinely disconnect all coax cables from the receivers and also the antenna leads from distribution amp in the house when storms are near. Also have Aska PT-1 surge suppressors on all coax leads to help for the times I am away or don't react fast enough. :rolleyes

I don't disconnect anything. The only time I lost electronics was when some drunk smacked into a power pole that caused a nasty surge.

Reactions: JFOK
I disconnect antennae and power cables when we are going away for a while especially in the summer. Otherwise I don't do much with FTA for thunderstorms. Cables are all grounded at entry as per code.
Did lose an ASC1 control board once when a power pole nearby got hit. Ti had replacments so no problem! Think it took out the reed sensor on the dish mover too.

I do disconnect the HF antennae though if a storm is coming, long wires, di-poles etc make good lightning energy collectors. No point in losing a transciever.

Reactions: JFOK
Yep, I disconnect everything associated with my satellite and OTA stuff so there's NO ground path inside on anything!! Vboxes, receivers, power strips, coax to everything and even the motor/sensor connections to the dish motors.

Started doing that a couple of years ago and haven't lost anything since. Before that though I spent a fortune replacing stuff that got smoked!!

Just saying.................

Reactions: JFOK and FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts