Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
From Peter Gammons:

Detroit Tigers will aquire Miquel Cabrara and Dontrell Willis from Marlins fro Camrin Maybin, Andrew Miller, C Rabello and a few minor league guys not mentioned.

Jimbo

From Peter Gammons:

Detroit Tigers will aquire Miquel Cabrara and Dontrell Willis from Marlins fro Camrin Maybin, Andrew Miller, C Rabello and a few minor league guys not mentioned.

Jimbo

I heard this today on Channel 4 sports at 6 today, but I heard its just talk, so all we can do is wait this one out..I would do this deal in a minute, are you kidding me???

That's a nice trade. I thought it was just a rumor but just found this on Espn:

All times ET 6:20 p.m., from Peter Gammons
• The Tigers have won the Miguel Cabrera sweepstakes. The Marlins get six players -- Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, catcher Mike Rabelo and three minor league prospects -- for the slugging third baseman.

From Peter Gammons:

Jimbo

NOT quite yet.....but almost.

EDIT:

NASHVILLE -- The Detroit Tigers and Florida Marlins appear to be closing in Tuesday on a blockbuster trade involving third baseman Miguel Cabrera and left-handed pitcher Dontrelle Willis.

Sources said that one way or the other a trade involving both could be announced Tuesday night. The Tigers are thought to be offering a package of players, including two of their top prospects -- outfielder Cameron Maybin and left-handed pitcher Andrew Miller. Maybin was the Tigers first round draft pick in 2005 (10th overall) and Miller was their first round pick (sixth overall) in 2006.

The Chicago White Sox were also making a late push for the third baseman, any deal involving the White Sox would include third baseman Josh Fields to the Marlins to obtain Cabrera, a close personal friend of White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Fields, 24, was Chicago's first-round pick in 2004 out of Oklahoma State and hit .244 with 23 home runs, the most of any American League rookie.

Other players the White Sox could incorporate into a trade for the centerpiece of the winter meetings include starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez, reliever John Denks, reliever Gavin Floyd and outfielder Brian Anderson.

Talks between the Marlins and Los Angeles Angels for Cabrera have stalled but are not completely dead.

Tigers close in on Willis, Cabrera - 12/04/2007 - MiamiHerald.com

HOLY sh*t - that makes the Tigers the team of 2007 & the Marlins the team of 2010!

Them are fine prospects - Tigers trading the future with Miller & Maybin.

Sounds like a great deal for both teams.

NOT quite yet.....but almost.

EDIT:

NASHVILLE -- The Detroit Tigers and Florida Marlins appear to be closing in Tuesday on a blockbuster trade involving third baseman Miguel Cabrera and left-handed pitcher Dontrelle Willis.

Sources said that one way or the other a trade involving both could be announced Tuesday night. The Tigers are thought to be offering a package of players, including two of their top prospects -- outfielder Cameron Maybin and left-handed pitcher Andrew Miller. Maybin was the Tigers first round draft pick in 2005 (10th overall) and Miller was their first round pick (sixth overall) in 2006.

The Chicago White Sox were also making a late push for the third baseman, any deal involving the White Sox would include third baseman Josh Fields to the Marlins to obtain Cabrera, a close personal friend of White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Fields, 24, was Chicago's first-round pick in 2004 out of Oklahoma State and hit .244 with 23 home runs, the most of any American League rookie.

Other players the White Sox could incorporate into a trade for the centerpiece of the winter meetings include starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez, reliever John Denks, reliever Gavin Floyd and outfielder Brian Anderson.

Talks between the Marlins and Los Angeles Angels for Cabrera have stalled but are not completely dead.

Tigers close in on Willis, Cabrera - 12/04/2007 - MiamiHerald.com

Note in MY post the word will, I didn't say it was a done deal although ESPN is reporting that it will happen tonight.

I like the trade, I'm surprised that Brandon Inge was not part of the deal, but I am glad he's staying.
I would have liked to see Andrew Miller stick around, he's gonna be real good.
Still need a quality LF, I know they picked up Jones, but I think they cold have done better.

Jimbo

Apparently, it's a done deal now.

Jimbo

It is a good trade for both team, as far as talent is concerned but a MAJOR pr hit for the Marlins. There is NO FACE to the organization now....so how do you expect support for a stadium? This city and this organization have butted heads too much on the stadium issue and now they have traded the ONLY faces anyone can associate with the Marlins franchise. It is VERY disappointing going from a city that TRULY supports its baseball TEAMS(Chicago) to one that has SO MANY baseball fans(especially with the latin American influence)and show NO LOVE towards its team.

Sad really....I only hope that this idiot city commissioners, mayors and governor get on the ball and get this deal done.

It is a good trade for both team, as far as talent is concerned but a MAJOR pr hit for the Marlins. There is NO FACE to the organization now....so how do you expect support for a stadium? This city and this organization have butted heads too much on the stadium issue and now they have traded the ONLY faces anyone can associate with the Marlins franchise. It is VERY disappointing going from a city that TRULY supports its baseball TEAMS(Chicago) to one that has SO MANY baseball fans(especially with the latin American influence)and show NO LOVE towards its team.

Sad really....I only hope that this idiot city commissioners, mayors and governor get on the ball and get this deal done.

They have been battling to get that stadium deal done for what 3-5 years now...Each year they get good offers for Willis, they finally decided that the city was NOT going to help and went ahead and traded him and Cabrera.
I watched Cabrera several years back and was very impressed ( I have to admit, I have not watched alot of Marlin's ball) ...
Many feel he's a head case that can play ball, whats your opinion, seeing your in touch with the teams down there.
Should we look at him as a Manny type of guy or what ?

Jimbo

I know the tigers are playing for now....But it would be painfull to see Maybin have ken griffey numbers....but a championship or two would ease the pain:)

They have been battling to get that stadium deal done for what 3-5 years now...Each year they get good offers for Willis, they finally decided that the city was NOT going to help and went ahead and traded him and Cabrera.
I watched Cabrera several years back and was very impressed ( I have to admit, I have not watched alot of Marlin's ball) ...
Many feel he's a head case that can play ball, whats your opinion, seeing your in touch with the teams down there.
Should we look at him as a Manny type of guy or what ?

Jimbo

LMAO...I love it. The guy is an introvert and suddenly he's a head case.:rolleyes: You guys just got THE BEST YOUNG hitter in the National League NOT NAMED Albert Pujols. He was hitting his a$$ off with litterally NO ONE to protect him in the line-up and hitting in a pitchers Death Valley in Dolphins Stadium. I don't know if the stadium the Tigers play is a hitters or pitchers park, but I DOUBT that it is nowhere near as cavernous as this craphole the Marlins play in. And watch how Willis does with Pudge behind the plate. I will say right here, he will be one of the TOP LEFTIES in the American League.....especially with a VERY good, team that has a good mix of young players and veterans. NO DOUBT in my mind, the team to be...on paper in the Central is the Tigers and a slight notched below the Red Sox.

I know the tigers are playing for now....But it would be painfull to see Maybin have ken griffey numbers....but a championship or two would ease the pain:)

Remember...Cabrera is ONLY 24 and Willis is ONLY 25....it's not like you guys got guys in the prime....these guys are 3 or 4 years BEFORE THEIR PRIME. Don't worry, Cabrera WILL put Manny/Griffey type numbers.

LMAO...I love it. The guy is an introvert and suddenly he's a head case.:rolleyes: You guys just got THE BEST YOUNG hitter in the National League NOT NAMED Albert Pujols. He was hitting his a$$ off with litterally NO ONE to protect him in the line-up and hitting in a pitchers Death Valley in Dolphins Stadium. I don't know if the stadium the Tigers play is a hitters or pitchers park, but I DOUBT that it is nowhere near as cavernous as this craphole the Marlins play in. And watch how Willis does with Pudge behind the plate. I will say right here, he will be one of the TOP LEFTIES in the American League.....especially with a VERY good, team that has a good mix of young players and veterans. NO DOUBT in my mind, the team to be...on paper in the Central is the Tigers and a slight notched below the Red Sox.

I said those in the media have made him out to be a head case, not me, thats why I was asking, if it sounded as I meant that, sorry I mis typed what I was trying to say.

Jimbo

Thanks Salsa,
Like I said, I was impressed with him a few years back when I saw him, now I am happier yet !
I did not realize he was in the Albert class, if so, thats awesome !
How is he as a fielder ?
In my book, you don't have to have Gold Gloves to be a great fielder, GG's go to people with name recognition, not nessasarily the fielding portion always goes into them.

I did not realize that Dontrelle has only been in the league for 5 years, it seems like he's been around for about 10.
From an ESPN article I just read, it sounds like Cabrara is losing a lot of weight and going to be in excellent shape by the time spring training is here. Article says he was playing last year at 255, came into the league at around 185, big difference in 5 years.

ESPN - Tigers send top prospects to Marlins for Cabrera, Willis - MLB

Jimbo

Last edited:
I said those in the media have made him out to be a head case, not me, thats why I was asking, if it sounded as I meant that, sorry I mis typed what I was trying to say.

Jimbo

Noooo..didn't say you said this. Just that sports columnists are so full of horse crap that they actually believe they have an impact on the game. They strictly give OPINIONS...seldom news. I like Dontrel ALOT and Cabrera also...and my Pudge has been one of my favorite players of all time....Tigers are looking like the team for me to root for in the American League...:up

Noooo..didn't say you said this. Just that sports columnists are so full of horse crap that they actually believe they have an impact on the game. They strictly give OPINIONS...seldom news. I like Dontrel ALOT and Cabrera also...and my Pudge has been one of my favorite players of all time....Tigers are looking like the team for me to root for in the American League...:up

Well, Let me know if your interested in coming up this way to see a game next year ... It should be a fun year :)

Jimbo

Well, Let me know if your interested in coming up this way to see a game next year ... It should be a fun year :)

Jimbo

I bet! I use to drive through Detroit ALL the time when I would drive east from Chicago to western NY to visit family. I liked Detroit very much....

Thanks for the offer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)