Tigers get Willis and Cabrera

I know the tigers are playing for now....But it would be painfull to see Maybin have ken griffey numbers....but a championship or two would ease the pain:)

It will be bitter sweet if Maybin turns out to be as good as he is on track to be. I hate parting with him. I am all about the future, and the future looked great for the Tigers.

Now it looks good for the next two years, then issues will have to be addressed in the outfield when Mags' contract expires, and catcher... Pudge is simply getting too old.

It will be bitter sweet if Maybin turns out to be as good as he is on track to be. I hate parting with him. I am all about the future, and the future looked great for the Tigers.

Now it looks good for the next two years, then issues will have to be addressed in the outfield when Mags' contract expires, and catcher... Pudge is simply getting too old.

I dont think having to replace mags and pudge constitues having to
revamp. Outfielders come a dime a dozen and give the tigers credit enough to have this worked out by then. After all, the yankees lived like this for 12 years why cant we?

We will be fine let's just enjoy this moment because this is gonna be fun, and cudos to dombrowski for having the stones to offer up a deal like this. I know on paper it looks like we got raped in the farm system, but let's be honest we dont really know what. Maybin will be, or miller for that matter. We do know what we are getting though. I mean were we gonna wait 4 more years for maybin and miller to arrive? Then mags and sheff, and others will surely be gone.

Go tigers!!!!!!!!

LMAO...I love it. The guy is an introvert and suddenly he's a head case.:rolleyes: You guys just got THE BEST YOUNG hitter in the National League NOT NAMED Albert Pujols. He was hitting his a$$ off with litterally NO ONE to protect him in the line-up and hitting in a pitchers Death Valley in Dolphins Stadium. I don't know if the stadium the Tigers play is a hitters or pitchers park, but I DOUBT that it is nowhere near as cavernous as this craphole the Marlins play in. And watch how Willis does with Pudge behind the plate. I will say right here, he will be one of the TOP LEFTIES in the American League.....especially with a VERY good, team that has a good mix of young players and veterans. NO DOUBT in my mind, the team to be...on paper in the Central is the Tigers and a slight notched below the Red Sox.

You had me until the bold print. The Tigers are at least on an equal plane with the Red Sox, if not above. Big price to pay for this trade, but lets look at this a little more closely. Maybin is considered a "cant miss" prospect, he's 20 yrs old. Cabrera is 25, and already a 4 time all star. His numbers match up with A-Rod's at this point of their careers. To boot it solves the power problem at 3B. Cabrera IS the player we would have hoped Maybin would become. Miller is an amazing prospect, but again Willis is only 4 yrs. older and a 22 game winner 2 seasons ago. Again, one could only hope Miller would reach that ability. (He may exceed that). The rest of the players involved are also solid prospects, so that makes it a good trade for both sides. Salsa, Comerica is a pitcher's paradise. You made many solid points, and I agree whole-heartedly with them. Cabrera's numbers are going to be huge with all the protection he'll have around him. When you're looking at a lineup where you are pitching around someone to get to Pudge, we'll need I say more? Willis will benefit greatly from having Leyland, Pudge, and Rogers around to help him, not to mention Comerica's Death Valley in left center, and Granderson to rundown anything else. Not in my wildest dreams did I see this trade coming. Boston HAS to make the trade for Santana now, if they hope to keep up. Boston's manager said yesterday that he's glad the Bosox are NOT in the same division as Detroit.

Another great trade by Jim Dombrowski! This is going to be the longest winter in Detroit history. When does spring training start?

GO TIGERS!!!!

Joe the future is now! Salsa is spot on about everything he said about these two players. Cabrera is the player now, that we would hope Maybin to be. I almost pissed my pants when I saw this trade last night. Freakin' incredible trade!!!

revamp. Outfielders come a dime a dozen and give the tigers credit enough to have this worked out by then. After all, the yankees lived like this for 12 years why cant we?

We will be fine let's just enjoy this moment because this is gonna be fun, and cudos to dombrowski for having the stones to offer up a deal like this. I know on paper it looks like we got raped in the farm system, but let's be honest we dont really know what. Maybin will be, or miller for that matter. We do know what we are getting though. I mean were we gonna wait 4 more years for maybin and miller to arrive? Then mags and sheff, and others will surely be gone.

Go tigers!!!!!!!!

Is there really any question that Dombrowski won't find the answers when they're needed? He has stocked the farm system well, and with the scouting staff he's assembled, he will be sure to keep the cupboard full for seasons to come. Here's the thing with prospects: for every nine you gather you hope 3 become players in your lineup, 3 washout, and the last 3 become trade bait for players like Renteria, Willis, Cabrera, etc... When Sheff and Maggs are gone, Dombrowski will have replacements in place. This mans track record says so. He built the Marlins TWICE, and turned the Tigers around from 119 losses to the World Series in 3 seasons. The man may be the smartest executive in the major leagues.

They have been battling to get that stadium deal done for what 3-5 years now...Each year they get good offers for Willis, they finally decided that the city was NOT going to help and went ahead and traded him and Cabrera.
I watched Cabrera several years back and was very impressed ( I have to admit, I have not watched alot of Marlin's ball) ...
Many feel he's a head case that can play ball, whats your opinion, seeing your in touch with the teams down there.
Should we look at him as a Manny type of guy or what ?

Jimbo

Just thought of this: Who's to say the Tiger's won't end up reacquiring Miller or Maybin in a couple of seasons when they've become stars and the Marlins are having yet another fire sale? Dombrowski has a long history fo trading for players he has procured with the teams he has worked for. Not to mention the possibility of signing either when they become free agents. Jimbo, we will be seeing a few games together this summer, I'll just have to get in line early for the tickets, because this will be a sold out season.

It is a good trade for both team, as far as talent is concerned but a MAJOR pr hit for the Marlins. There is NO FACE to the organization now....so how do you expect support for a stadium? This city and this organization have butted heads too much on the stadium issue and now they have traded the ONLY faces anyone can associate with the Marlins franchise. It is VERY disappointing going from a city that TRULY supports its baseball TEAMS(Chicago) to one that has SO MANY baseball fans(especially with the latin American influence)and show NO LOVE towards its team.

Sad really....I only hope that this idiot city commissioners, mayors and governor get on the ball and get this deal done.

Now with the trade, instead of 350 fans a night, they might get 150 fans a night.:rolleyes:;)

It is a good trade for both team, as far as talent is concerned but a MAJOR pr hit for the Marlins. There is NO FACE to the organization now....so how do you expect support for a stadium? This city and this organization have butted heads too much on the stadium issue and now they have traded the ONLY faces anyone can associate with the Marlins franchise. It is VERY disappointing going from a city that TRULY supports its baseball TEAMS(Chicago) to one that has SO MANY baseball fans(especially with the latin American influence)and show NO LOVE towards its team.

Sad really....I only hope that this idiot city commissioners, mayors and governor get on the ball and get this deal done.

Is that public relations, or Puerto Rican? :D

You had me until the bold print. The Tigers are at least on an equal plane with the Red Sox, if not above. Big price to pay for this trade, but lets look at this a little more closely. Maybin is considered a "cant miss" prospect, he's 20 yrs old. Cabrera is 25, and already a 4 time all star. His numbers match up with A-Rod's at this point of their careers. To boot it solves the power problem at 3B. Cabrera IS the player we would have hoped Maybin would become. Miller is an amazing prospect, but again Willis is only 4 yrs. older and a 22 game winner 2 seasons ago. Again, one could only hope Miller would reach that ability. (He may exceed that). The rest of the players involved are also solid prospects, so that makes it a good trade for both sides. Salsa, Comerica is a pitcher's paradise. You made many solid points, and I agree whole-heartedly with them. Cabrera's numbers are going to be huge with all the protection he'll have around him. When you're looking at a lineup where you are pitching around someone to get to Pudge, we'll need I say more? Willis will benefit greatly from having Leyland, Pudge, and Rogers around to help him, not to mention Comerica's Death Valley in left center, and Granderson to rundown anything else. Not in my wildest dreams did I see this trade coming. Boston HAS to make the trade for Santana now, if they hope to keep up. Boston's manager said yesterday that he's glad the Bosox are NOT in the same division as Detroit.

Another great trade by Jim Dombrowski! This is going to be the longest winter in Detroit history. When does spring training start?

GO TIGERS!!!!

If the Sox gets Johan Santana, then the Sox will be the best again.

HOLY sh*t - that makes the Tigers the team of 2007 & the Marlins the team of 2010!

Them are fine prospects - Tigers trading the future with Miller & Maybin.

Sounds like a great deal for both teams.

Future? The guys they are getting aren't much older then them.

GO TIGERS!!!!

Well, I still think that the Red Sox have better pitching...slightly better. Line-up wise, they are a better line-up 1 thru 9. IF the Sox, which to me are now FORCED to make this trade, aquire Santana, they will prove twice as much and be the BEST team in baseball....by virtue of a rotation of Beckett, Santana, Schilling and Matsuzaka. The would be the best starting 4 in the majors...hands down....and with the best bullpen ALSO....

..see where I am going?

I was guessing that willis would wind up in the NL since he can hit but despite his poor numbers last year he sia good catch for the Tigers.

Go tigers!!!!!!!!

Miller will be a stud real soon.

The Tigers may not be done...

...Now the heavy rumor down here is that Willis is not done traveling: Pudge AND Willis in a package deal to the Mets. I heard the tail end of it on the way home tonight and I have been trying to find it and trying to use my OLD Chicago sports sources....and the talks are heavy.

Now with the trade, instead of 350 fans a night, they might get 150 fans a night.:rolleyes:;)

I disagree,
I think the Marlins will be BETTER than they were before the trade. They have a Centerfielder for the next 10-15 years and a stud on the mound, and thats only the two main players, no telling what they got in the rest of them.
I don't know the Marlins position at Catcher, if they are set or not, but Rabello did a deceint job once he got accustom to the big leagues last year.

Jimbo

Well, I still think that the Red Sox have better pitching...slightly better. Line-up wise, they are a better line-up 1 thru 9. IF the Sox, which to me are now FORCED to make this trade, aquire Santana, they will prove twice as much and be the BEST team in baseball....by virtue of a rotation of Beckett, Santana, Schilling and Matsuzaka. The would be the best starting 4 in the majors...hands down....and with the best bullpen ALSO....

..see where I am going?

I agree,
I thing the Sox still have the Tigers beat when it comes to pitching, particualrly seeing Zumaya will be lost for most of the season.

No one on the Tigers staff has the stuff Beckett has, Verlander could and shows it from time to time, but not consistantly enough...yet. then again Beckett was not that consistant last year either, during the regular season.
I would take Verlander over anyone else on the Sox staff.

Tigers will improve greatly IF Bonderman gets his head on straight this year, If not, he couid be trade bait ....
Tigers were also interested in Dan Haren.

Jimbo

...Now the heavy rumor down here is that Willis is not done traveling: Pudge AND Willis in a package deal to the Mets. I heard the tail end of it on the way home tonight and I have been trying to find it and trying to use my OLD Chicago sports sources....and the talks are heavy.

Who would the Tigers get from the Mets ? Catcher ??

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)