Time again - Weekend Satellite Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Keith Brannen said:
Excellent work, good review, and surprised the great signal strength you were able to get out of it!

I have said this a few times but when I first read about these dishes, I seriously had my doubts. But after working on it and seeing the results with my own eyes (and camera) I am a believer. I wish I could get 2 degree spacing but oh well :)

Now to coat all them LNB's and the dish with Rain Shield :D

Iceberg said:
Now to coat all them LNB's and the dish with Rain Shield :D

Since all the signals are bouncing off the sides Rain Shield will work great! Make sure to put it on both reflectors :)

If you're able to shave off enough from the LNB holders to get close to 2 degree spacing, that will be perfect.

Anxiously awaiting your experiments :D

After looking at the holders, it would me tough. If I shave it off the one side, then the screw holder is gone and there would be no way to keep the holder secure unless I use super glue or something like that to keep it secure :)

But the farther away from the arc you go, the harder 2 degrees is. 103/101 I can do since that is near the center but I tried to get 87/89 and couldn't even get a flicker :(

I could use one of those! I've already got a few up, 2 for subscription and 2 for FTA and I'm planning a couple more.........Due to LOS issues though I think it might not be practical. I have to go around placing them strategically, or bust out the chainsaw!

Great review, sounds like it's not quite as complicated as I imagined.
Good to hear you're happy with it!

Inno said:
I could use one of those! I've already got a few up, 2 for subscription and 2 for FTA and I'm planning a couple more
thats exactly how I was. Had a lot of dishes and could barely see off my deck

Due to LOS issues though I think it might not be practical.
That is one of the drawbacks of it. You need a really good LOS

Great review, sounds like it's not quite as complicated as I imagined.
Good to hear you're happy with it!
its not as bad as it could have been. I think if you have an imaginary satellite (where the middle satellite isn't a legit one) it would have been harder to skew and get the elevation right.

If I had an angle reader it would have been MUCH easier getting the angle right :)

My Delayed Weekend Project

Well technically this was going to be my weekend project but I didn't have the work done on my pole extension and I went out of town on the weekend so I quickly threw it together after work today. Put a 4' extension on my mast to get the 1m dish above the neighbor's fence and so far wow, what a difference. I didn't see a quality reading over 74% before and now I've seen a few at 90% on G10R...........which is the only satellite I'm getting at this point........well that and the free stuff from dish and express-vu but I'm awaiting 2 diseqc switches ordered today from e-bay. Decided against the 99 cent ones and went with 2 Pansat 4x1 switches.

Anyway, to make along story short, I have much better signal strength, I corrected my polarity (which I had backwards) so now I have to either re-scan the satellite or fix all my channels in the channel editor. Not sure what will be easier, I already re-named a bunch last night but oh well........it's just one satellite and I'm sure I'll have more channels to add. On initial blind scan I picked up 37 video channels in the clear and one audio.

So to recap, moving the dish upward 4' made a world of difference and the fence was definitely in the way. I'm also planning to trim some more branches or maybe take down a whole tree next weekend to improve things further. It was gonna come down anyways 'cause it's growing into the shed............and the shed is gonna be rebuilt this fall as well..............Well, time to start scanning.......woo hoo!!

New photos here http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=52955

Last edited:
I worked the weekend and was off yesterday, work tonight... the FedEx man woke me up before 8 this am with my Mkit 1 from Sadoun.
I started putting it together about 10:05 am got dish assembled, motor put together by 10:50am ( will mount it later after I find some birds ) pretty easy and a lot larger than the dish 500 and Phase 3 in the attachment. ( Not where I am mounting it, just had a unused dish 300 for 61.5 I pulled off to put this up... Got to go to lunch so will finish later...

Attachments

• Fortec 80 1.JPG
    Fortec 80 1.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Fortec 80 2.JPG
    Fortec 80 2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Fortec 80 3.JPG
    Fortec 80 3.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Fortec 80 5.JPG
    Fortec 80 5.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 114
COOL!

I wish my fedex man would come early with the packages. Guy always comes at 3 or 4 in the afternoon :)

Heck half the time I have to give chase! Its like the chase in Midnight Express the movie!

My project will be a my first ever FTA set-up (I posted another thread about concern that I have about dish). I better hurry up, wetter in Michigan will not be as nice in another month....

Ordered from Sadoun:

Globecast DVB Receiver
Fortec FP 90
KUL1 0.4 Standard single LNB

Orderered from somwhere else:

Pansat 3500

I still have to serch the forums on LNB suggestions and reviews, because that is the first thing(s) I want to upgrade.

I thought it was a subscription service. I hope he doesn't think he can FTA, or does it also pick up FTA channels?

My upcoming weekend project is going to start probably tomorrow night. I am going to put a post in the ground for my Dish 1000 upgrade that is being installed on Saturday. Then, this weekend, I am going to be putting up an OTA, and running new lines to each room in my house. I am going to run the new Dish VIP 622 to my daughters room and my wife's office, and run an OTA feed to each room also. For now, I am going to leave my Dish 500 up, and have that feed my 811 in our bedroom. I am sure the Dish installer will think I am wierd for having 2 Dish antennas up. Oh well, it will be easier for him to install it. I sure wish Dish let you install your own stuff, like they used to! I am already to order a motor, but my "fun" money is over extended :) I am using the "real" money now, so I am cleaning out my house and going to sell some excess stuff to keep peace :) SO, make sure to check out the for sale section.

Last edited by a moderator:
iafirebuff said:
I thought it was a subscription service. I hope he doesn't think he can FTA, or does it also pick up FTA channels?

It does pick up FTA channels too (there are alot on IA5). From what globecast told me was that there are some other sat locations on the receiver. It can't control a motor but I believe that it can work with a disqec/22mhz switch.

I haven't tried myself, but that is what they told me when I called them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)