Time to take action on TNTHD

Ronald_Jeremy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Rock Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is time to do something. We are now 40,000 strong on Voom alone.

I am tired of TNT's sh!tty HD quality!!!!! They should be sued and forced to remove the HD letters from their channel name. Their station has nothing to do with HD other than stretching 4:3 to 16:9.

I am flipping back and forth between TNTHD and UHD tonight.

The picture difference is A fricking MAZING.

TNT*cough*HD*cough* is showing "We Were Soldiers" from 2002.

UHD is showing "Brewster's Millions" from 1985.

Ray Charles could see the difference. (If he were alive)

We are talking about upconverting a movie from 1985 and comparing it to a movie from 2002. There shouldn't even be a contest!!!!

I get better PQ on SD channels than I get on TNT*cough*HD*cough* most of the time.

Here is their email address from their web site 'Contact Us' link at www.tnt.tv

tnt@turner.com

I am going to send an email tomorrow. I am a little heated tonight and I learned a long time ago that you get more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar.

The grain is so big they need to change the name from TNTHD to MahatmaHD or WatermaidHD. I have pixels the size of rice all over my TV when I tune to TNT*cough*HD*cough*!!!!

HD my ass!!!!!

At least we should give credit to TNT-HD for presenting all NBA games in HD. That's 52 games + All-Star game + Eastern Conference finals. Compare that with ESPN doing only 1 game in HD per week.

I worked on the HD and SD versions of this movie.

The quality that you saw is the same that we received from the distributor... sh*tty. The HD version is indeed a 1080i master... not upconverted SD.

Some things are beyond our control. I've seen great looking copies of movies, and things worse than "We Were Soldiers", so sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. No excuses here, just being honest.

Nothing wrong with having your voice be heard - and those e-mails are all read - I know that for a fact.

Timmernator said:
I worked on the HD and SD versions of this movie.

The quality that you see is the same that we received from the distributor... sh*tty. The HD version is indeed a 1080i master... not upconverted SD.

Some things are beyond our control. I've seen great looking copies of movies, and things worse than "We Were Soldiers", so sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. No excuses here, just being honest.

Nothing wrong with having your voice be heard - and those e-mails are all read - I know that for a fact.

Why TNT does not present their movies in its Original Aspect Ratio? There's a lot of good movies on TNT HD when they are HD but the Aspect Ratio really breaks the mood to watch them. For example the Matrix and Gladiator.

P.S. Why TNT does not update their website and actually let us know which programs are HD and which are not. Right now we need to tune to the channel and either be dissapointed or be happy. :)

Not to defend TNT but "we were soldiers" was very grainy in the theaters and DVD also..i did not see it on TNT so i really do not know

thats what this guy is bitching about... the grainyness.

ITS INTENTIONAL on this movie just like band of brothers. They director wanted to get the you were there feeling and in war everything isnt all pristene.

OK. We Were Soldiers prompted me to post this thread. But the frustation has been building long before this.

Thanks for the reply Timmernator(makin copies). I will take you at face value that you know your sh*t on this movie.

And thank you for responding.

Let us set that movie aside.

Let us forget about We Were Soldiers.

Now on to the rest of TNThd content.

Both TNThd and UHD run Law and Order episodes. Hell, it is about 50% of TNThd's content.

Flip back and forth between the two. There is no comparison.

TNThd's version obviously appears badly upconverted from a bad SD source with a bad 4:3 to 16:9 algorithm (sp?) while UHD is balls-to-the-wall when it comes to HD. How can you guys call it HD just because it is in a 16:9 aspect ratio?

I will give you the possibility of VOOM screwing up the feed, but IMHO and limited experience GIGO applies. Garbage In, Garbage Out

As Sean stated, the TNT programming content is great. I just wish the PQ was there.

BTW, you guys are not subject to gubment rules regarding language, etc that is applied to OTA channels. Why did you guys censor Gladiator????? :no

I really wanted to see Joaquin Phoenix take the knife to the throat at the end. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It appears that you have some programmer with limited knowledge of HD that has written a program that piggy-backs the SD TNT channel, convert the sig, and try to package it as HD. Actually I know that is the case. Tell your higher ups "That dog don't hunt!"

Again, I really appreciate you showing up here and responding. I hope you don't take my post in a negative light. I really want peeps to see TNT content in true HD.

jagouar said:
thats what this guy is bitching about... the grainyness.

ITS INTENTIONAL on this movie just like band of brothers. They director wanted to get the you were there feeling and in war everything isnt all pristene.
WOW numbnuts. It is weird that "They director" 's grainyness wasn't available on the DVD or the PPV version of We Were Soldiers!!! Or did I neglect to see "Grainy Picture" on the DVD menu??? :D

Or maybe I missed the GP version on PPV. I assume GP means Grainy Picture. All I got was regular and LBX. LBX stands for Letterbox and not Grainy Picture!!!!

I can live with Non OAR on TNTHD, I can live with upconverted and stretched sometimes. I can live with occasional bad copies of movies. But what I cannot live with is every freakin program labelled as HD when it is not! It scares me to think that TNTHD isnt even keeping score. I think that the first step to any improvement on that channel has to be public recognition of when something is HD and when it is not!

Where do I start?
Ronald_Jeremy said:
Both TNThd and UHD run Law and Order episodes. Hell, it is about 50% of TNThd's content.

TNThd's version obviously appears badly upconverted from a bad SD source with a bad 4:3 to 16:9 algorithm (sp?) while UHD is balls-to-the-wall when it comes to HD. How can you guys call it HD just because it is in a 16:9 aspect ratio?
Yes, a lot of the current daytime programming is upconverted SD (Judging Amy, NYPD Blue, etc.). Remember, there are many season's worth of dramas like these that aired before the advent of HD, so they're only available in SD.

My understanding for the upconvert is because someone decided that that was the best way to go - no pillars, didn't like the look I guess - I'm way too low & on a different food chain to know the reasoning behind this. There just isn't enough acquired HD programming to run just yet. On the up side, ER is now in true HD, and we are currently prepping HD Law & Order episodes for air. I don't know what else is coming down the road, yet - sorry!

BTW, you guys are not subject to gubment rules regarding language, etc that is applied to OTA channels. Why did you guys censor Gladiator????? :no
We have an entire Standards and Practices department that deals with these issues every day. Believe it or not, for every person such as yourself that asks that question, we'll have another who wants to know why we didn't edit it more!

I have my own personal feelings on this, but the best way to see movies as they were intended is HBO, TCM, or DVD.

It appears that you have some programmer with limited knowledge of HD that has written a program that piggy-backs the SD TNT channel, convert the sig, and try to package it as HD.
Engineering question - sorry, not my area ;) . But trust me, we have a great Engineering department, and they also just do as they're instructed...

Again, I really appreciate you showing up here and responding. I hope you don't take my post in a negative light. I really want peeps to see TNT content in true HD.
No problem - and I agree with you! In fact, I bought a Sony 34XS955 because I was seeing so much HD at work, I couldn't stand my analog TV anymore :D

Ronald_Jeremy said:
WOW numbnuts. It is weird that "They director" 's grainyness wasn't available on the DVD or the PPV version of We Were Soldiers!!! Or did I neglect to see "Grainy Picture" on the DVD menu??? :D

Or maybe I missed the GP version on PPV. I assume GP means Grainy Picture. All I got was regular and LBX. LBX stands for Letterbox and not Grainy Picture!!!!

Dunno what TV youve been watching it one but other have stated in this thread that the DVD and theater releases were grainy too. And Ive seen this show before and its always been grainy.

Yes TNT could do a better job with L&O, who cares about L&O anyways... never liked that series. And your "balls to the wall" UHD sucks balls on alot of their movies too (Battlestar Galactica comes to mind). It all depends on the source.....

As for Gladiator, I hated the cut as much as anybody but I watched a few mins here and there and it was just as good as any other source I had seen (PQ wise), HBO for sure, and I think it aired on one of the major networks a while back.

They do need to start marking things right though.... alof of the "network" shows arent in HD (L&O, X-files). But TNT does as good a job as anybody in the movie PQ dept.

Hey I wish all SD looked as good as TNT's upconvert (minus the anamorphic stretch). What TNT needs to do is STOP LABELLING EVERYTHING AS HD!! You're not fooling anyone; you're just pissing people off!

Honestly anyone who says TNTHD looks great needs to have there eyes checked. The majority of the shows are not in HD and I have yet to see one move in OAR...they are a joke an absolute insult to the technology.

I watch L&O on NBC in HD every week and have seen episodes from 2003 on TNTHD that I still have archieved in HD so I KNOW they were available in HD.

I only watch TNTHD on the weekends when they are showing their movies. As far as PQ goes...they are a couple of steps behind UHD. There's no question about it. But I like what TNT shows during their movie weekends more than UHD's offerings. By the way where is JAWS? It seems to me UHD should have no problem putting a classic on like that ...come on....JAWS JAWS JAWS.

barth2k said:
Hey I wish all SD looked as good as TNT's upconvert (minus the anamorphic stretch). What TNT needs to do is STOP LABELLING EVERYTHING AS HD!! You're not fooling anyone; you're just pissing people off!
I agree 1000 Times %

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)