TIPS for BUD removal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

signal.quest

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2009
Near Scranton, PA
I read some old posts about BUD removal but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any advice. I am going to get a 10' mesh dish (about an hour away) that I am told has all rusted bolts. I plan on bringing the following to dismantle it:

1) Rachet set
2) Screwdrivers
3) Pliers/Vice Grip
4) PB Blaster (or Rust Bust)
5) Cordless Drill (and bits)
6) Extension Ladder
7) Hack Saw
8) 1 or 2 helpers

Please feel free to point out anything else I might need. Thanks.

You may also want to take a torch to heat the bolts up and spray the penetrant on the threads as they cool. As the metal cools the rust will break and the penetrant will be drawn into the threads.

If it comes to that, a hand held grinder does a good job if you have one. Otherwise drill the heads off the bolts. Small bit first for tracking, then one a bit bigger than the bolt.

Additionally, I took both a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6509-22-Sawzall-Amp-Reciprocating/dp/B0000789HE"]Amazon.com: Milwaukee 650922 Sawzall 11 Amp Reciprocating Saw: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31285TGDFTL.@@AMEPARAM@@31285TGDFTL[/ame], and a hand grinder outfitted with a cut-off wheel.
Of the two, the latter was FAR superior in removing hard-to-reach bolt heads, etc.
(we had spare blades and wheels on hand, and didn't need them)

The SawzAll will make a good dent in the pole if you are cutting it off at ground level
However, on one dish where the pole was too close to something to get the saw all the way around, the cutoff wheel saved the day.

If you are recovering the pole below ground level, then the following are helpful:
- shovels
- picks
- sledge hammers to break the concrete
- a tarp to put the dirt on, if it's in the middle of a lawn
I used all the above on a 6" diameter Birdview pole, and three of us had a hell of a day of labor!
If you have access to a jack-hammer that doesn't cost $75 to rent, take that, too!
(see my signature for some pictures)

I've removed 6 BUDs so far and before each disassembly took detailed photos just in case there is a reassembly problem. A step ladder works better when there is nothing to lean an extension ladder on. A wheel barrow will lighten the loads to the truck. In warm weather or climate a can of wasp spray is a must. Yellow jackets love nesting in feedhorn covers and hate being disturbed. If you take your significant other with you, bring a director's chair from which she can critique your methods and the amount of time it's taking.

breaker bar - extension pipe for ratchet set

some like taking it all the way down to sections , i done it several ways usually not taking it all the way apart ( but you probably will want to to replace all the bolts so it won't matter )

for pole removal , i dug one side out and used my truck bumper to push the pole on over, you can then bust up concreat and put in hole to lighten it up for travel.

and yes take lots of pictures :) good luck

Don't mess with the settings (elevation and declination) on the mount. When you reinstall the dish at your home, it will be easier on you when you put it on the new pole. You may have to readjust the mount when you align the dish to the arc since you live one hour from the original location.
Good luck!

for a few dollars more

for a few dollars more.
go to u-haul rent a truck. then you don't have to take it apart just off the mount. a real time saver.
no trips to the depot getting new bolts etc
i have tied a 8 and a 10 footer on a 8 foot bed pickup for a few miles in town going slow.
good luck.

Is the Dish made from sections?
If so, I would do that vs. trying to transport assembled.
Just remember to mark the Panels for easier re-assembly.
Mark everything for easier re-assembly.

All of mine came apart in sections, the two 10'ers set in the truckbed with a single rope tied across all four sections - stacked and laid face-down with the narrow side forward so the wind kept them down - no problem on the 45min drive home, on the interstate, at 10 over... ;)
The 8'er came in a crate, so I can't answer for it... :D
My experience with the small bolts on the dish have been just a couple of good sized ratchet handles... I've never had a problem with the things just twisting in two with minimal effort... they either break loose or they just break... $10 for new hardware I would get anyway.... no big deal.
As for the bigger bolts - PB Blaster is your friend... spray all the bolts before you begin the disassembly. Usually by the time you have the dish off the mount and broken into sections, the PB Blaster has done it's stuff on the mount bolts... also, for general maint, I use a can of spray chain lube (the magnetic type) on all the pivot points and such on the mount.
We've used it on tractor hitches forever... better than having globs of grease all over...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)