Titanium Satellite Hardware Modification: 22KHz/DiSEqC 1.2 Pass-through and Increased STB Compatibil

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Titanium Satellite is providing this information for educational purposes only. We do not recommend any user to open or modify the ASC1. Dangerous voltages that may injure or kill are present inside the ASC1 case. Only qualified and trained electronics technicians should open and service electronic equipment. Titanium Satellite will not be responsible for any damages, injury or death that might be the result of opening or modifying this device. Remember to always disconnect the power source and follow proper safety and discharge procedures when servicing electronics.

Current ASC1 owners may keep the first generation unit for their own personal use. The first gen ASC1 may be gifted to another party, but only with a disclaimer that the gifted ASC1 is without support or warranty. I only ask that these original ASC1 units not be sold, bartered or traded.

Please note that Titanium Satellite support for these original ASC1 units will end upon receipt of the replacement ASC1. Titanium Satellite will not provide parts, warranty, replacements or repairs for the original ASC1 units. The original ASC1 units are easy to identify as they do not have a serial number affixed. All warrantied ASC1 units have been issued a serial number that is recorded in our system, labeled on the bottom of the case and another on the outside of the giftbox. The Titanium Satellite ASC1 warranty, parts, replacements and repairs are only available for serialized units provided with an original proof of purchase.

This hardware modification is provided for upgrading first generation Titanium Satellite ASC1 controllers. This hardware modification will provide 22KHz/DiSEqC commands to be passed-through the ASC1 from a connected STB to upstream switches and provide increased compatibility with DiSEqC 1.2 commands. First generation ASC1 controllers are not covered by warranty and will not be provided with replacement parts or support. Surface mount components are easily damaged by improper handling, incorrect tools and overheating.

A metric hex head tool type M3 will be used to remove the 4 screws on the faceplate and 4 screws in the base. The faceplate is removed and the cables disconnected to gain access to removing the main PCB. Once all cables are unplugged from the PCB, remove the 4 Phillips head screws securing the PCB to the plate. After modifications are completed, reverse these steps to reassemble.

Have Fun!!! :D

Attachments

• ASC1 - Hardware Modifications 20140129.pdf
    349.3 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
referring to the parts list. Are there recommended specs for tolerances and wattage? Are there composition types you like better than others. Any other recommendations? Like maybe four Digi-key part numbers ;) Thank You :)

Last edited:
I opened up the ASC1 today and took a look to see what kind of job the repair might be. This will not be easy. And almost impossible without some special tools and experience.
ASC1repair 001.jpg ASC1repair 009.jpg ASC1repair 012.jpg ASC1repair 026.jpg

Would it be possible to get a few extra mainboards that a person could buy instead of doing the repair? Or would the new mainboard work in these first run units?

You are so right! This repair isn't for everyone! But I assure you that it can be easily done following standard safety procedures and only with an inexpensive soldering pencil, solder, flux, a magnifying glass and tweezers.

Sorry, as outlined in my previous statements, we will not be supporting, providing repair or parts (including replacement PCB mainboards) on these first generation units. This modification procedure is provided for those with the skills/tools or a friend/local tech to perform the modification. This is intended to be a gift for the hobbyist who wants to have a second unit for a few dollars in parts and maybe develop their technical skills, support a local repair technician or just donate to someone who wants to give it a try.

Please understand that providing the owner with a new free ASC1 second generation unit and allowing them to keep the original unit along with providing a parts list and modification steps is is not meant to perceived as a punishment or anything negative!

My hope is that some owners will start posting their modification experiences, good and bad... We could turn this into a great learning thread! :D

Tnx for the pics Magic. Unit looks really well built on the inside. Like the big old transformer/linear power supply, much quieter (RF wise) than the switching style. Yes it takes a bit of patients, a steady hand, and a good magnifier to work SM components. I modded a pencil solder tip for working on these types of boards, but it is still not easy and one must be REALLY careful around other components and when installing the new parts. The replacment board, if an option, would be the safest mod for most of us.

I have not looked up the replacment parts yet. Will look them up on the digi-Key website maybe tomorrow morning. Has anyone ordered the parts yet?

I ordered from Digi-Key. The parts are less than a dollar for each repair. After a successful repair I will share the part numbers.

Please understand that providing the owner with a new free ASC1 second generation unit and allowing them to keep the original unit along with providing a parts list and modification steps is is not meant to perceived as a punishment or anything negative!

A FREE ASC1!! is punishment? LOL Hit me ! Beat me! Make me write bad checks! ;)

I've completed the repair on the first unit :) I'll put it thru some tests tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed .

When I did mine the whole process took maybe two hours and that was the "whole" process from taken out the screws to putting the last one back in and plugging it up.

I'd say I have the same amount of time into the repair. The only real challenge is the resistor R106. I put the resistor and capacitor in series to replace C132 on the back of the mainboard. I also put the disc capacitor on the back. I pulled the heatsink off U102 to get better access to R106.

I opened up the ASC1 today and took a look to see what kind of job the repair might be. This will not be easy. And almost impossible without some special tools and experience.
View attachment 95088 View attachment 95089 View attachment 95090 View attachment 95091

Would it be possible to get a few extra mainboards that a person could buy instead of doing the repair? Or would the new mainboard work in these first run units?

Go on down to Radio Shack, and buy yourself a Magnivisor. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10752324&numProdsPerPage=60

Or, buy one off of Ebay as they are much cheaper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hands-Free-...180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c357dbd3c

It's the ONLY way to work on something like this! You can easily repair this wearing one of these.

I'd say I have the same amount of time into the repair. The only real challenge is the resistor R106. I put the resistor and capacitor in series to replace C132 on the back of the mainboard. I also put the disc capacitor on the back. I pulled the heatsink off U102 to get better access to R106.

:) Same exact way I did mine.

I am having issue with DiSEqC 1.2 commands. The ASC1 most often doesn't respond to the first call. It has to be repeated. But sometimes it pops at first call faster than the other boxes. But after an hours use it doesn't respond to DiSEqC calls at all. I pulled it apart and checked my work. I didn't find any problems. I reinstalled it and it worked for an hour just like the first time. There are other things that make me wonder too. But I'll wait until I get the good one so I have something to compare with before I take issue with those things. Anybody else comment on the success of the repair? Ke4est, how's yours doing?

What STB?

What is the amplitude (signal level) of the 22KHz/DiSEqC signal from the STB? Does this amplitude change between horizontal and vertical?

Does this happen on horizontal and vertical transponders/channels?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts