TIVO Edge + Remote TIVO Mini Vox connection FAQ

No, I was trying to show the savings.
But these savings demand that someone who is trying to utilize your comparison comes into the game with needs that are substantially satisfied by the lineup of separate products and services that you've chosen and that's a big leap, don't you think? I suspect that you're also not considering the value of your time spent trying to identify the components, set up and maintain your configuration (both hardware and programming).

Just because you "don't want" or "don't need" (or, by the same token, must have) something doesn't mean that's the desire of anyone else.

Including a meat cleaver in a comparison of paring knives is nonsense. There are other threads where decision points between corded and cord cutting are discussed.

There is absolutely no mention of TiVo on Geniatech's product page (I'm confident that TiVo wouldn't allow it even if they were working on it). Did TiVo announce their intentions to support this dongle or is this eventual availability the brainchild of the TiVo community?
Of course not! I only mentioned this one as it is one of many that will be offered in the future by 3rd party. However the one that TIVO showed last year under development at NAB looks nearly identical to the Geniatech dongle. I don't know if TIVO well release theirs soon or much later. When you can show me you are on the inside at TIVO and know what their plans are, I will just choose to ignore comments like this.

Harshness- I like many of your offerings here but you have a habit of making statements about future developments you claim won't happen that are just not true. You have no crystal ball to predict what companies will or will not develop based on your personal opinions.

Bobby you are reading stuff I didn't say. I'll simplify this for you- It appears that the Edge can automatically switch to Hulu streaming for the 4K special NFL broadcast when I select the the local station in the guide. I think this is why I got confused before when I tuned to Fox station and saw 4K NFL game that harshness delighted in saying I was fooled. Fact is there are things going on today that your reference to what happened last October is now out of date.

Fox did release back in September they had Phoenix as the first test broadcast and had many problems discovered in that first test. Today they claim 30 stations are up and running with UHD transmission. OK that was info released in December and it may be more now. Cord cutters magazine has more recent information on this and now claims CBS has begun UHD transmissions for NFL too. The game I saw that was accessed through Hulu on the Edge was a CBS game that I tuned to local CBS 47 and it switched automatically to Hulu until the game was over.

Went by the first 2 year promo price, I have no idea what price is after that based on the different deals (or no deals) they give their customers and I have not had Dish’s service for a long time now, my last box from them was in the 800 series if I remember correctly.

As far as the boxes go-
Hopper 3 $10 Monthly DVR Fee
Joey $5 Monthly Receiver Fee

That is from their site
Ok a promo offer.

But the Hopper $10 deal and the $5 for Joey's was not what the CSR said. Of course he then said I would get 50% off that for a year.

I accept your numbers because everyone seems to be getting different deals. Hard to compare.

I am very happy with my current choice and what I am paying which isn't a real cost saving over what I paid for Dish.

Discounting the stuff I also had before, I am paying $59.99 for the FuboTV and cloud DVR on my Apple TV. I bought the Apple TV independent of disconnecting Dish because I wanted a 4K streaming box for Disney+. Of course it'as good for other things too. The TIVO was purchased specifically as a replacement for the Dish Network DVR's and service. Plus it offers other services as well but loses some too. The cost of the hardware upgrade was
Edge $349
Mini Vox $180
Service lifetime $249
Total: $778.

I'm pretty sure this upfront cost was considerably higher than the Dish Hopper 3 plus one Joey replacement, but would the Hopper 3 be able to work without weather problems? Tivo has never been a bargain but I recall from past experience the stuff works well. So far no complaints. The more I learn about it the better it gets. My wife picked up on it faster than I expected. I showed her undelete feature today and she really liked the idea of being able to recover a program that was deleted by me from earlier in the week.

I do not view things that way, I view them at the total cost over the lifetime use of the product...
Your viewpoint, while being something to consider in its context, is yours alone. Others may share some or all of it but to assume that everyone should have the same priorities as you is not reasoned thinking.
I am starting to wonder why you have such hatred of streaming, even after you admitted that you never tried the OTT services, remember that came out when you criticized the DVR on YTTV and said it worked like a VCR and then you were called out for it by msmith and you admitted you never used it.
I don't hate streaming. I end up using it most days. What I hate is people telling me how I should be getting my TV content without knowing what I want. I haven't tried YTTV because it doesn't cover enough ground in terms of the programming I want. Just because it is cheaper makes no difference if I can't get what I want. There are other downsides but this clearly isn't the thread to discuss them.
Why are you so upset about things changing to streaming versus the old ways of Traditional Providers.
If anyone is upset it appears to be you.

I dispute that things are changing to streaming as there aren't numbers to support that those who leave the traditional pay TV model are necessarily picking up the streaming model to replace it but I'm not likely to be upset either way.

What I hate is people telling me how I should be getting my TV content without knowing what I want.

No one is telling you what to do, everything is in context with what makes us happy.

I haven't tried YTTV because it doesn't cover enough ground in terms of the programming I want.

But yet you criticize it without using it.

Here is where you were called out on not it-
So I was right and you have no experience with a streaming dvr, and are basing your post off of usage of online on demand services, which is a different animal entirely.

I dispute that things are changing to streaming as there aren't numbers to support that those who leave the traditional pay TV model are necessarily picking up the streaming model to replace it but I'm not likely to be upset either way.

And yet 6 million subs( and more to come when they report the 4th quarter numbers) have left Traditional Service this year.

The numbers do report that only about 1 million have gone to streaming live TV service, that means that 5 million stick with or gone to streaming on demand type service like Netflix and Hulu and of course OTA.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Of course not! I only mentioned this one as it is one of many that will be offered in the future by 3rd party.
Other than replacement remotes and network adapters, what third party gear is popular for TiVo DVRs?
However the one that TIVO showed last year under development at NAB looks nearly identical to the Geniatech dongle.
Don't all TV tuner dongles look pretty similar? USB plug on one end and a F connector on the other.

Trade show mockups are quite often not showing what's going on behind the curtain and if I recall correctly, there was a full-fledged Linux-based computer (as opposed to a System on a Chip such as the TiVo DVRs use) involved in all the early working demos.

Here's a "private" demo that TiVo offered to Dave Zatz during NAB 2019 showing the setup:

The ATV dongle shown in the video bears a remarkable resemblance but appearances can be deceiving. Note that Ted Malone (VP of TiVo Products and Services) said that the TiVo tuner would be a "network tuner" (around 2:50) rather than a USB dongle as you've asserted. The video bears out most of the information and reasoning that I've shared in this thread.
When you can show me you are on the inside at TIVO and know what their plans are, I will just choose to ignore comments like this.
Until you can document TiVo's current plans either way, we'll disagree. I have done quite a bit of research into the progress of NEXTGEN TV and my opinions are based on that reasearch, not extrapolation of old news and examination of photographs. That you've seen something that you interpret as being similar to something they showed at a trade show doesn't mean much. We went through that earlier in the thread regarding what you thought you were seeing.
I like many of your offerings here but you have a habit of making statements about future developments you claim won't happen that are just not true. You have no crystal ball to predict what companies will or will not develop based on your personal opinions.
I'm not claiming that NextGen TV won't happen on a TiVo. I am reasoning that it isn't coming soon as there's no conventional content to view outside of the Phoenix model market and likely won't be a big push until stations start lighting up in the largest markets. Whether you get your content via DTV or NEXTGEN TV isn't going to make much difference until the DTV content goes SD.

Let's not forget that the vast majority of OTA viewing comes via cable TV so we're not talking about a product that us currently used by a little more than 20% of the market for linear broadcast network television. Reason and Physics must apply in all things.
Fox did release back in September they had Phoenix as the first test broadcast and had many problems discovered in that first test. Today they claim 30 stations are up and running with UHD transmission.
I (as well as anyone else who is monitoring NEXTGEN TV) would like to see documentation on this. As far as I can tell, there are only two Fox affiliates operating a NEXTGEN broadcast. I would have thought that something of this magnitude would have made news at CES, on the ATSC website or at TV Technology's ATSC 3.0 silo. I've not seen any claims anywhere of a single US UHD broadcast (the TiVo demo used a local computer and a modulator dongle to get closed-circuit UHD) and I reason that even a test of such a broadcast would be newsworthy.

Let's be absolutely clear that broadcasting a NEXTGEN TV signal does not equate to offering a UHD feed. A UHD broadcast would require that most (if not all) subchannels would need to be shut down during the broadcast due to bandwidth constraints.
I'm pretty sure this upfront cost was considerably higher than the Dish Hopper 3 plus one Joey replacement, but would the Hopper 3 be able to work without weather problems?
I wonder if your weather problems couldn't have been substantially addressed with a service call.

Reactions: osu1991
The numbers do report that only about 1 million have gone to streaming live TV service, that means that 5 million stick with or gone to streaming on demand type service like Netflix and Hulu and of course OTA.
You've made a conclusion that isn't supported by numbers. You don't get to play with the numbers that aren't explicitly represented. You're assuming that everyone who bailed on conventional service went to streaming and that's not necessarily the case. The fact that they weren't all picked up by the services largely confirms your assumption to be false. It is likely that a good number of those have given up on TV.

Only when someone publishes numbers from surveys indicating where (or if) viewers are getting their content from can such a conclusion about what the other 80% have done be reached.

But yet you criticize it without using it.
I'm using reports from users to compare the DVR service that YTTV offers to compare with the service that I'm currently using and for my uses, it falls short. You don't need to subscribe to YTTV to read their DVR FAQs. Any service that claims to be "unlimited" that has documented limits deserves some push-back.

Of course discussions of YTTV aren't appropriate in this thread either as the TiVo Edge doesn't currently support YTTV.

I'm using reports from users to compare the DVR service that YTTV offers to compare with the service that I'm currently using and for my uses, it falls short. You don't need to subscribe to YTTV to read their DVR FAQs. Any service that claims to be "unlimited" that has documented limits deserves some push-back.

Of course discussions of YTTV aren't appropriate in this thread either as the TiVo Edge doesn't currently support YTTV.
Then why continue to discuss it ?
As many times as you’ve given information without real world experience when it comes to live streaming services and how they work, I don’t think you have much of a stance to call anyone else out on what’s appropriate for thread, or on making conclusions that aren’t supported by “numbers”.

Don, I’m glad you like your Edge, and that it meets your needs. I’ve also got a Tivo, a Roamio and we use it for OTA only. We love it for that.

I wouldn’t put much stock into what TiVo tells you about streaming apps that may or may not be coming. Even whendelivered, in my experience, they have seemed lacking and ill supported than other platforms. (I did have a bolt as well). When I first got mine, I was hoping the TiVo would be the all in one device i was wanting. Sadly that didn’t happen

Fortunately you also have the Apple TV, so your streaming needs will likely be met either way.

Then why continue to discuss it ?
I've answered direct questions and then followed up with a suggestion to stick to the topic (TiVo).
As many times as you’ve given information without real world experience when it comes to live streaming services and how they work, I don’t think you have much of a stance to call anyone else out on what’s appropriate for thread, or on making conclusions that aren’t supported by “numbers”.
Hands-on experience with DISH or YTTV (or Fubo or PS Vue or Disney+) isn't required to recognize whether the discussion has turned away from TiVo (that clearly doesn't support either service). Here's what services TiVo claims to support (by model):

I'm a math person and have taken graduate level statistics courses so I know something about "numbers". As such, I feel confident in advising others of the dangers of adding assumptions or contrived justifications to explain or refine what the numbers are saying. The discipline of statistics is entirely independent of anyone's TV viewing experience.

Don, I’m glad you like your Edge, and that it meets your needs.

I have my TIVO Edge as the default device that is on when I fire up the Home Theater ( replacing the gone VIP 722K ) It is also my main device now for Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu apps. But TIVO is not meeting my needs 100% yet because it lacks the Cable TV news channels and some of the others I need on DVR weekly and daily. Therefore the Apple TV is necessary for those streaming channels, including Disney+. When TIVO Edge gets the SlingTV app, I will replace the ATV FUBOTV with that service.

While I don't have access to the confidential future plans at TIVO, I am pleased what is offered today and what they have told me in email responses what they are working on but no dates as to when. Only one which is very soon and that is Vudu App. It's already up on the Mini and on the Edge says it is coming soon. Ultimately, I would like to have everything I want in one system and the TIVO seems to be what that will be but may take another year before it obsoletes the AppleTV 4K completely in my system.

3rd party upgrades are beginning to come out, such as the external hard drive using an eSATA connection is now also available. While there is no mention of this by TIVO, the Edge has an access door with a cutout for the eSATA in the back and that is curious. WeakKnees conversion kit is expensive at $550. I'll pass. Don't need 500-1500 hours capacity.

I also found a TIVO software utility that can format any blank hard drive for use with TIVO Bolt or prior so you don't actually need to purchase one from Weaknees. Edge is pretty new so the utility for Edge may be out later. There are plenty of YT videos on how to upgrade your TIVO using the utility.

BTW- I saw a popup announcement from TIVO that says soon they will be offering Sling TV and You Tube TV service apps.
They've had Youtube for a while, not sure about youtube tv as that's never interested me.

What's next for TIVO? Disney+ ?
I wish, but seeing how it still doesn't have the ESPN app, not holding my breath. It's up to the content companies to make the app and provide it to Tivo.

The Tivo Bolt & mini's perfectly suit my needs for OTA (and cable before I cut the cord years ago), but I typically don't rely on it for the streaming apps. Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube for fine enough, but anything beyond the big 4 (so to speak), I fire up the Xbox or PS4 for.

They've had Youtube for a while, not sure about youtube tv as that's never interested me.
I am not sure if they have the YTTV app now, but when it came out they didnt, but it would accept it through the cast option, then it would work just as the roku app did. Not sure if it still does that, because as far as I could tell at the time it wasnt officially supported.

When I first got mine, I was hoping the TiVo would be the all in one device i was wanting. Sadly that didn’t happen

I have found the best all in one device is still the Roku, if I want OTA/DVR I click on the Tablo app, if I want movies click on the Vudu/Apple TV/ Movies Anywhere app, if I go back to Xfinity or YTTV their app, then of course all the other apps, the biggest advantage is we are on only one remote, made it easy for the wife.

Last edited:
To stick to the Harshness rule of posting only to the thread title-

TiVo Says Apps for Roku and Apple TV Remain ‘In Limbo’

A year ago at CES, TiVo demonstrated how popular OTT devices, such as Roku and Apple TV, could let users enjoy access the content on the TiVo DVR in their living room from other rooms in the house, or out of the home.

But this week at CES 2020, a Ted Malone, VP of products and services for TiVo, conceded that apps for OTT players are no where close to being deployed.

Apps for Roku and Apple TV are “in limbo,” he said, due to technical challenges. Apps for Android TV devices are closer, because TiVo set-tops run on Android TV. By extension, Malone said an app for Amazon Fire TV, the No. 2 OTT device ecosystem in the U.S. and the top one globally, with 40 million active users, is also close, as Fire TV runs on Android, as well.

“My bet is we’ll get Android, and because of that we’ll get the Fire TV, because it’s the same app, just different qualifications,” Malone said.

TiVo said at CES 2019 that apps for Roku, the top OTT device ecosystem in the U.S., and Fire TV would debut in the second quarter of last year, with apps for Apple TV and Android TV following in the third quarter.

I am not sure if they have the YTTV app now, but when it came out they didnt, but it would accept it through the cast option, then it would work just as the roku app did. Not sure if it still does that, because as far as I could tell at the time it wasnt officially supported.
Ok, as I've never used Youtube live tv, didn't know if it had a standalone app or just ran through a normal youtube app.

I have found the best all in one device is still the Roku, if I want OTA/DVR I click on the Tablo app, if I want movies click on the Vudu/Apple TV/ Movies Anywhere app, if I go back to Xfinity or YTTV their app, then of course all the other apps, the biggest advantage is we are on only one remote, made it easy for the wife.
If I was to setup a new system, I might go a different route, but I had gotten the Tivo back when I had charter as their DVR (and DVR fees) sucked. With a Bolt and 3 mini's, I see no reason to change. As I said before, I have it for OTA, the apps are just a bonus.

Yes, but not YTTV which is the paid YT app and this includes similar to Fubo TV slingTV like assets. I was using YT app last night watching the how to on adding external hard drive to the Edge.

To stick to the Harshness rule of posting only to the thread title-

Harshness can make rules for himself, but as the thread starter, I'm interested in any information that is related to the TIVO system, good or bad. While it helps to be accurate, it is not realistic to expect posters to be 100% perfect. Just try to recognize when someone posts an opinion which is OK with me, but not to claim you are special and know what a company is planning better than what the company is claiming to plan. If you accuse a company of lying, a serious charge, then better have evidence.

Ok, as I've never used Youtube live tv, didn't know if it had a standalone app or just ran through a normal youtube app.

YT has a collection of different apps. eg. I use a YT VR app for accessing 3D virtual reality content on my Oculus HMD's. Not every YT app is available on all devices.

With a Bolt and 3 mini's
Can you check something for me?
Look at your mini's and see if you have Vudu app. I do and it is working with my Vudu account on the mini Vox. Next check your Bolt and see if the app is present and if it is working or stating Coming Soon, etc.

I can learn a lot on how TIVO releases it's apps based on your report.

I don’t own a Mini, but Vudu has been on Roamios and Bolts for quite some time. In fact, it was on the Bolts when they were introduced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts