TIVO Edge + Remote TIVO Mini Vox connection FAQ

I don't know if the Bolt has this but If I set the TIVO up to record a CBS TV show OTA and set the recording to do New Plus Repeats. It will list all the Hulu+ and Amazon repeats in the recordings. If I select one of the old shows, it will automatically go to the Hulu app and play it immediately. I'm not into those repeats shows so I have the "repeat" function disabled so my list of recordings is not so cluttered.

That’s part of the integrated TiVo One Pass system. All TiVo’s running TE3 or TE4 do that.

Also, if your TIVO suffers a hard drive failure you can buy a preformatted hard drive from weaknees.com and install it yourself. This way if you are satisfied with your TIVO you don't have to lose your lifetime subscription and buy a whole new box and subscription. Plus, weakknees also sells different capacity drives up to 10TB that can upgrade the Edge. I believe the Bolt is limited to 3TB but you should check them out. I have used their upgrade kits on DirecTV and a repair on my really old Philips TIVO many years ago. The TIVO serial number is on an EPROM, not on the hard drive so upgrading doesn't affect your service.

In this thread, we're talking about the TiVo Edge, not DISH. Comparisons to dish are valid (as long as they are accurate). The cool features you've claimed in this thread require a subscription but you've largely neglected to mention that detail thus far.

No, in this thread Don did bring up his Dish service in comparison to his Tivo Edge and then you bought up Tablo and Plex, since I have a Tablo I posted the same comparison vs. Dish and I included the guide cost to keep it fair.

Now the only features I have brought up were tuners and recording which you not have to pay for, I have not brought up Commercial Skip or any other feature, Don has about his Edge, not me.

And my Dish Comparisons were accurate.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Also, if your TIVO suffers a hard drive failure you can buy a preformatted hard drive from weaknees.com and install it yourself. This way if you are satisfied with your TIVO you don't have to lose your lifetime subscription and buy a whole new box and subscription. Plus, weakknees also sells different capacity drives up to 10TB that can upgrade the Edge. I believe the Bolt is limited to 3TB but you should check them out. I have used their upgrade kits on DirecTV and a repair on my really old Philips TIVO many years ago. The TIVO serial number is on an EPROM, not on the hard drive so upgrading doesn't affect your service.

You can put any 3TB drive into the Roamio, Bolt or Edge and the TiVo will prepare it and ask you to redo guided setup. If you want more than 3TB then you have to prepare the drive externally before installing. The tools and instructions for doing that are on TCF. If you’re not comfortable doing it, then of course weak knees is also an option.

I have upgraded one of my Roamios to 3TB and the other two to 2TB drives. One of my Bolts I have upgraded to 3TB and the other I left at 1TB. Just keep the original drives to put back in, should you need to send them back to TiVo for warranty replacement.

Reactions: pamajestic
No, in this thread Don did bring up his Dish service in comparison to his Tivo Edge and then you bought up Tablo and Plex, since I have a Tablo I posted the same comparison vs. Dish and I included the guide cost to keep it fair.
Don was comparing DVR features and performance against the aged ViP722k rather than DISH TV service itself. Since what a Tablo (or the TiVo Edge Antenna) subsciption offers is a tiny subset of what a DISH subscription can bring, comparing to the DISH TV service is not a reasonable. Further, DISH hardware doesn't have an up-front cost as the Tablo does. This is very appealing to those who lack the motivation or discipline to save up and regularly scour the web for discounts.

This is an TiVo Edge Antenna thread so it would seem that we should limit our discussions to the TiVo Edge Antenna while citing features (and costs if the benefits are carefully compared) of comparable devices to illustrate the state of the art and the going rate for same.

Also, if your TIVO suffers a hard drive failure you can buy a preformatted hard drive from weaknees.com and install it yourself.
Some of the comparable devices don't require you to obtain a pre-formatted drive at a relatively expensive cost -- a 2TB drive is $199.99! Another detail that has been left out with respect to the Tablo devices is that they don't come with a hard drive but you can use an external 8TB drive for under $160 (no tools required). You can likely add a 10TB drive to a Plex array for the $199.99 price figure if your server has a spare SATA port.

Another detail that has been left out with respect to the Tablo devices is that they don't come with a hard drive but you can use an external 8TB drive for under $160 (no tools required).

Not left out, I included in my price comparison, and it does not have to be a 8TB, it could be a 2TB, I only used a 8TB because I had one sitting around that I bought the year before during Prime Day.

Also you can use a internal HD with the Quad, up to 3TB if I remember right, a lot cheaper that way.

For a refresher since Harshness keeps saying I don't include things on pricing-

Yep, same example here with the Tablo over just 2 years
Tablo Quad-$199
Lifetime Service-$150
Internal/External HD-$100
Video Service (Netflix, Hulu, Disney)-$30x24=$720

$1169 divide by 24=$48.71 a month
Equipment Alone $449 divide by 24=$18.71 a month

Dish Network-Top 120 with 4 boxes/DVR-$85 a month
85x24=$2040
Equipment Alone-25x24 months=$600

So savings of
$871 or
equipment only-$151

Dish Network-Top 120 with 4 boxes/DVR-$85 a month

Hold it! That's not accurate. The cost of the Top-120 alone is $84.99 a month.

Add to that the cost of your Hopper 3 for $ $15 per month
Add your 3 Joeys for $7 each $21/month

We're over $121 / month before taxes. I did see the special they offered at $7 for the Hopper plus those Joeys for $21
and half off for the service I had which is $44 comers to $72 plus tax. The CSR, I believe was just trying to match my Fubo TV monthly which is $59.99 includes all channels I got on DN plus 500 hours of DVR.

The thing is with Dish Network, they make up deals all the time and not everyone gets those. But everyone can pay the posted charges which adds up to the 4 room charge or $121.

As for what Weaknees charges for their TIVO hard drive kit, it is to be expected they are in business to be profitable and they stay in business. If you can buy a hard drive and know how to format it for a TIVO then go for it and do it yourself. I can install a hard drive but I don't know how to do a TIVO format. They operate in the same class as Ifixit. Both are excellent companies. These businesses don't work for free and I doubt you do either. They charge what they do because people pay it.

Hold it! That's not accurate. The cost of the Top-120 alone is $84.99 a month.

Add to that the cost of your Hopper 3 for $ $15 per month
Add your 3 Joeys for $7 each $21/month

We're over $121 / month before taxes. I did see the special they offered at $7 for the Hopper plus those Joeys for $21
and half off for the service I had which is $44 comers to $72 plus tax. The CSR, I believe was just trying to match my Fubo TV monthly which is $59.99 includes all channels I got on DN plus 500 hours of DVR.

The thing is with Dish Network, they make up deals all the time and not everyone gets those. But everyone can pay the posted charges which adds up to the 4 room charge

Went by the first 2 year promo price, I have no idea what price is after that based on the different deals (or no deals) they give their customers and I have not had Dish’s service for a long time now, my last box from them was in the 800 series if I remember correctly.

As far as the boxes go-
Hopper 3 $10 Monthly DVR Fee
Joey $5 Monthly Receiver Fee

That is from their site

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the update as I got my costs from the CSR when I cancelled. Dish has always been a cost based on your timing to get promos. So it's not easy to claim comparisons. I guess many services are the same. What applies to one doesn't always apply to another and timing is key. As such, I consider offerings more important than cost. At the end of the day, we all will be paying competitive monthly prices and equipment prices regardless of which service for similar choices and features. So with that conclusion, how about let's get back to which service and devices have which offerings.

I had a chance to test VUDU on the Edge DVR but it still is not yet ready. Strange they updated the Mini Vox with the VUDU app and not the DVR. My only interest in Vudu is that back in the day they offered a number of hard to find 3D programs that I bought. I can still get them on my other Vudu devices but will have to wait a bit longer. The sling TV app is claiming coming in April.

Also, I saw CBS Football was coming through to my projector in 4K 60p HDR with 10 bit color. When the regular programming came on my projector switched back to 1080p SDR. My equipment is set for pass through so I don't know why or how this is working like this with these games. Is the Edge switching to streaming? If I set the projector to 8 bit color and no SDR the image is very dark, but with HDR and 10 bit the image is beautiful, and cleaner, lower noise than the regular network programming. The App on Apple TV 4K looked the same as the TIVO.

The Edge does automatically switch to internet apps for DVR recording if I select a program rerun, if it is available from Hulu subscription but the football game was live. I selected the channel from the guide, not the app on TIVO.

New referencing I found on this mystery:

TiVo has developed software that enables current generation Hydra-powered DVR hardware to manage a network ATSC 3.0 tuner and deliver next gen 4K HDR OTA content through those existing boxes. This is not new but info released last year before the release of the Edge. It should work on the Bolt and Mini Vox with latest firmware too.

As I understand the term "Hydra Power" it refers to hardware and software that is capable of seamlessly selecting program source for the highest compatible source from both OTA and streaming. No need to manually choose if settings are "Auto"

Further research into this shows that the Saturday Game I saw selecting local channel 47 8:15 p.m., Tennessee Titans vs. Baltimore Ravens, CBS actually was switched to my Hulu subscription CBS streaming even though I had selected the local TV station in the guide.

If any of you have a Bolt with a 4K TV capable of HDR check this out on these special broadcasts. You will also need to have Hulu+ subscription in your apps active according to my sources. The other streaming source for these events is FuboTV with sports pack but FuboTV doesn't work on TIVO yet. NFL listed a few other streaming sources too, SlingTV, YTTV, CBS All access etc. Pretty much all of them.

More on TIVO ATSC 3.0 tuner: This dongle is said to connect to your TIVO OTA DVR via USB port. I'm guessing the release of this device will be quicker now that the networks are finally offering more broadcasts in 4K HDR. Using the OTA tuner dongle will replace the need to switch to streaming all for 4K HDR as is now required.

If the technology of a dongle ATSC 3.0 tuner is released, I expect there will also be a 3rd party universal system that could be available to upgrade all tuner DVR's for ATSC 3.0.

Yes, these are out. Found one by Geniatech. Just need the software to recognize it in your DVR or streaming device.
1578844403313.png

Works with Android DVRs sets and computers. The one by TIVO looks identical but will be designed for TIVO boxes exclusively.

Last edited:
More on TIVO ATSC 3.0 tuner: This dongle is said to connect to your TIVO OTA DVR via USB port. I'm guessing the release of this device will be quicker now that the networks are finally offering more broadcasts in 4K HDR. Using the OTA tuner dongle will replace the need to switch to streaming all for 4K HDR as is now required.

If the technology of a dongle ATSC 3.0 tuner is released, I expect there will also be a 3rd party universal system that could be available to upgrade all tuner DVR's for ATSC 3.0.

Yes, these are out. Found one by Geniatech. Just need the software to recognize it in your DVR or streaming device.
You are making it sound like the networks are offering 4K HDR broadcasts, OTA, on a regular basis. That is simply not true. There have been limited test broadcasts in limited areas, Phoenix for example, but that is all. First of all, even when the national repack is complete, the stations do not have to start broadcasting in 4K HDR. It is their choice, just like it was their choice to go HD when digital OTA came about. In fact the stations will have to transmit in both ATSC 1 as well as ATSC 3 for a period of time to allow the public to attrit to ATSC tuners. It has been said that 4K HDT, OTA, is still 3 years out nationally.

You're really trying to compare a service that offers more than 120 cable channels plus some OTA (or all if you add a one-time $30 dual tuner dongle) to an OTA DVR?
No, I was trying to show the savings.

If you look at my posts I included my streaming services which has as much new/old content combined with OTA vs Dish 120, I also separated equipment from programming.

Streaming services do not just have their new content, they have the majority of Cable Broadcast shows on a slight delay, for example Preacher Season 4 premiered on Hulu in December, just a few months after finishing up on AMC, another example is all FX programming will premiere on Hulu the next day starting in March.

The vast majority of Cable Channels programming is reruns, that is why I think streaming services provide so much more.

You're really trying to compare a service that offers more than 120 cable channels plus some OTA (or all if you add a one-time $30 dual tuner dongle) to an OTA DVR?

If you want to compare a live TV service to Dish-

You Tube TV to Dish
YTTV-$1200 over 2 years
Dish 120 with 4 boxes/DVR service-$2040
Dish 200 ( because of BBC, sports, etc which are on YTTV)-$2520
Savings of $840/ $1320( enough left over to get Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ for 2 years and still save roughly $120/$600).

More on TIVO ATSC 3.0 tuner: This dongle is said to connect to your TIVO OTA DVR via USB port.
There is absolutely no mention of TiVo on Geniatech's product page (I'm confident that TiVo wouldn't allow it even if they were working on it). Did TiVo announce their intentions to support this dongle or is this eventual availability the brainchild of the TiVo community?
I'm guessing the release of this device will be quicker now that the networks are finally offering more broadcasts in 4K HDR. Using the OTA tuner dongle will replace the need to switch to streaming all for 4K HDR as is now required.
I could have sworn that I mentioned that there have been no national UHD OTA broadcasts by the networks. None of my local stations have licenses to broadcast Next Gen TV, much less a UHD channel. One had a license to conduct SFN testing (Portland is a particularly hilly market) but they couldn't keep the equipment running and the license was revoked. I've been unable to locate any applications for any of my stations to light up a Next Gen TV signal.

At this point there is a station in Raleigh (WRAL, NBC) and a station in Cleveland (WJW, Fox) over and above the Phoenix Model Market test stations that are live and what "live" means probably isn't what anyone would assume. The ATSC claims that there will be 40 "markets" with broadcasts by the end of this year (the claim was made in April 2019) but I suspect that means no more than one or two stations in those markets. My market is reportedly among them but as I said, I'm not seeing any applications. The assembly of channels that was testing SFN (KORS, KOXI KKEK and KORK owned by WatchTV) currently collectively offers 4 DTV channels on KKEI's radio frequency of the YouToo network in SD with stereo sound.
Next Gen TV uses HEVC and Dolby AC-4 and that's going to cut out more than a few of the DVRs and other devices currently in service and we know how long the TV manufacturers typically support software updates (two, maybe three years from original release?). There is also the USB port requirement that is likely to let a whole bunch of them out (many devices top out at USB 2.0).
Yes, these are out. Found one by Geniatech.
Did you see a buy-now button on the page I linked to? They're taking bulk pre-orders but the unit itself isn't available at retail.
Works with Android DVRs sets and computers. The one by TIVO looks identical but will be designed for TIVO boxes exclusively.
What evidence do you have to support this claim?

What DVR models would be supported?

If you want to compare a live TV service to Dish-
Such a comparison would be pretty pointless but you seem to be trying to make a go of it for reasons I can't get my head around (this being a cord cutting subforum and all).

You're also omitting the fact that there are less expensive DISH packages that qualify for free hardware and installation that one may subscribe to after the initial setup.

Such a comparison would be pretty pointless but you seem to be trying to make a go of it for reasons I can't get my head around (this being a cord cutting subforum and all).

You're also omitting the fact that there are less expensive DISH packages that qualify for free hardware and installation that one may subscribe to after the initial setup.

What free hardware, you have to pay for it every month, what makes it free?

Plus you have to send it back at your cost when you cancel service, what a waste of money since you have nothing to show for it at the end.

What free hardware, you have to pay for it every month, what makes it free?
Free of up-front cost to the subscriber.
Plus you have to send it back at your cost when you cancel service, what a waste of money since you have nothing to show for it at the end.
What do you expect to get for your Tablo when you're done with it?

Free of up-front cost to the subscriber.What do you expect to get for your Tablo when you're done with it?

I do not view things that way, I view them at the total cost over the lifetime use of the product and even at just 2 years the costs for me are less then Traditional Providers, and even after I might get a new TABLO,
I still do not have to pay a DVR Guide fee again.

I am starting to wonder why you have such hatred of streaming, even after you admitted that you never tried the OTT services, remember that came out when you criticized the DVR on YTTV and said it worked like a VCR and then you were called out for it by msmith and you admitted you never used it.

Why are you so upset about things changing to streaming versus the old ways of Traditional Providers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts