TIVO Edge + Remote TIVO Mini Vox connection FAQ

Only the Bolt and Edge on TE4 have the 15 second pre-roll ads that play before a dvr recording. Also Tivo has to have sold some ads in your area or else you just get a quick grey screen with a grey arrow before your recording starts. You can skip the ads by pressing the FFD button.

I also don't see any quick gray screen with arrow. On some shows I set a preroll of 2 minutes and the recording does start at the end of a previous show. On preroll 0 it starts in the middle of a break between the shows on the hour or half hour.

Do you actually witness this or just repeating posters on the TIVO Community? I don't disbelieve it but something seems most inconsistent, like an experimental time TIVO may be testing the acceptance with a few regions.

Note your own linked reference " TiVo’s been trialing " "Trialing" tells me it is being rolled out in select groups of customers or regions and that's why some of us aren't seeing it.

I also don't see any quick gray screen with arrow. On some shows I set a preroll of 2 minutes and the recording does start at the end of a previous show. On preroll 0 it starts in the middle of a break between the shows on the hour or half hour.

Do you actually witness this or just repeating posters on the TIVO Community? I don't disbelieve it but something seems most inconsistent, like an experimental time TIVO may be testing the acceptance with a few regions.

Note your own linked reference " TiVo’s been trialing " "Trialing" tells me it is being rolled out in select groups of customers or regions and that's why some of us aren't seeing it.

I experienced it. I let it go a week before I called Tivo to disable as it was making one of my Bolts flaky. A subsequent Tivo update re-enabled it, so I went the route of blocking the ip's and the Bolts have been ad free again. If I remove the ip block, the ads or the grey arrow screen comes back. There are many threads on TCF about it and Tivo_Ted one of the Tivo executives that peruses TCF said some long time customers could have them disabled by calling in, but as I experienced and many others, that in itself is a hassle as Tivo keeps pushing that the ads are a feature that we should enjoy. I had to ask, I think it was 5 times in a call before losing my temper and demanding they remove them, finally the CSR admitted it was possible to remove and would take 72hrs, which of course a new firmware update re-enabled them.

Here ya go. 96 pages going back to Sept 2019 when they started.

Reactions: foghorn2
It is but one of three pretty good options. Many Tablo and Plex users claim to be happy (and they don't need dedicated hardware clients).
Does Tablo & Plex allow me to watch OTA programming, including the sub-channels?

I don't have the Tivo for it's app's (the PS4 and XBOX are better for those), I have it for it's OTA capabilities.

Does Tablo & Plex allow me to watch OTA programming, including the sub-channels?

I don't have the Tivo for it's app's (the PS4 and XBOX are better for those), I have it for it's OTA capabilities.

Yes. Plex you have to pay for the Plex Pass to use the OTA part of the server software. I had an old HD Homerun connected and upgraded that to a newer Homerun Quattro when they were on sale last fall. It works quite well on my setup viewing in the Plex app on a 4K fire stick.

I experienced it. I let it go a week before I called Tivo to disable as it was making one of my Bolts flaky.

OK! Noted your fix in the router exclusions. I appreciate your suggestions should TIVO add them to my DVR here. I looked through several recordings last evening and didn't see any. I also had full commercial break skip enabled on recordings that previously didn't. That seemed strange but I'm still learning the idiosyncracies of the TIVO Edge.

harshness- Ran across this thread you might find interesting: a long read but lots of great information

Also, been looking into these products for more detailed detection and display of HDMI meta data:

Yes. Plex you have to pay for the Plex Pass to use the OTA part of the server software.
Yeah, the "pay for" is the deal breaker for me.

Plus if it's a server program dependent on being on a computer, I really don't want to bog down a pc having to run it. Much prefer a standalone box.

I don't recall seeing that anywhere.
That's why I quoted from post #11 where you stated that your display was reporting HDR. The TiVo can't receive HDR metadata from OTA broadcasts because DTV doesn't support HDR yet your OTA DVR is at least sometimes tagging its output as including HDR information (based on evidence you provided).

Tablo yes (no extra charge like Plex) and it has a much better Tuner then what is on the TV and if all 4 TVs are on, each one can watch something different.

It is hooked up to a 8TB external HD, it can have a Internal hard-drive, but I believe only up to 2TB and I wanted more space since we binge everything at the end of the TV season and I had the drive already ( bought last year during Prime Day Sale), so no server.

The extra plus is since all my Televisions are Roku TV (2 TCL 6-Series, 1 8-Series, 1 4-Series) it cuts down on wires and devices, the only thing I have hooked to the Living Room and the Basement are Receivers and the speakers, starting to like the clean look, also with ARC only use 1 Remote for each area.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
That's why I quoted from post #11 where you stated that your display was reporting HDR.

This:
I confirmed that the signal sent from TIVO and on my Projector was 4K 60P and there is HDR listed as well. However regular TV programming is still at 1080i. This is the first I have seen 4K on a broadcast channel. I believe FOX is the only network doing this and has been doing this since September.
I also did a search on this and sure enough, Fox is doing NFL in 4K HDR but you have to get it OTA internet as cable and satellite are not passing this on. Edit: Mistake.

I must have mistated as that HDR was from the ATV 4K Fox Sports app in FuboTV. When I first installed both I was switching back and forth between the VIP722K, ATV 4K and TIVO to view picture quality differences. Local TV FOX 30 is seen as 4K 60p here due to all HD is upconverted to 4K in the Projector. Same for all the other channels. Fox 30 looks just as good as ABC and NBC but the couple non- network stations I rarely tune in are very fuzzy in the upconversion. I believe those are older SD transmissions. Nothing I have can add HDR if it isn't in the inbound signal. The ATV 4K can remove it in the settings.

Tablo yes (no extra charge like Plex) and it has a much better Tuner then what is on the TV and if all 4 TVs are on, each one can watch something different.
Isn't this conditional on your choice to not use Tablo's guide data? If you opt out of guide data, you lose access to out-of-home streaming, name-based recording and commercial skipping as I understand it. Not as distant from a VCR as a respectable DVR should be.

Isn't this conditional on your choice to not use Tablo's guide data? If you opt out of guide data, you lose access to out-of-home streaming, name-based recording and commercial skipping as I understand it. Not as distant from a VCR as a respectable DVR should be.

I paid for the lifetime guide data, no different then the Tivo which I was comparing it to.

I paid for the lifetime guide data, no different then the Tivo which I was comparing it to.

I studied these other services to compare to TIVO and some were pretty good but only TIVO had a multi decade track record of being in business and financially stable so I felt safe with a lifetime cost of $250 for the DVR service. Upfront cost of TIVO ownership was much cheaper than Dish Network system I had been using after a year. Monthly charges, not so much.

Remember VOOM? I had them too and they didn't last. Considering the time they lasted it was an expensive gamble.

Advice- If you choose to do a lifetime investment, be sure the company you are buying from is financially secure for a lifetime. Reality check: If the company is not a public company, you are not likely to know how secure they are. Best to just pay by the month then. I chose Fubo TV but no way would I pay a lifetime subscription if it was offered. I have no idea if they will still be in business a year from now.

BTW- I saw a popup announcement from TIVO that says soon they will be offering Sling TV and You Tube TV service apps. I may switch to Sling or You Tube from Fubo TV when that happens. Sling TV is a wholly owned company of the Dish Network family, a publicly traded company. I feel Sling TV is a safer service for the long haul than FuboTV. Probably You Tube is the best from a security viewpoint, however, being owned by Alphabet parent company ( Google ).

What's next for TIVO? Disney+ ?

BTW- I saw a popup announcement from TIVO that says soon they will be offering Sling TV and You Tube TV service apps. I may switch to Sling or You Tube from Fubo TV when that happens. Sling TV is a wholly owned company of the Dish Network family, a publicly traded company. I feel Sling TV is a safer service for the long haul than FuboTV. Probably You Tube is the best from a security viewpoint, however, being owned by Alphabet parent company ( Google ).

What's next for TIVO? Disney+ ?

I think you have misread that message. The pop up was for the new TiVo Stream 4K dongle which runs on android. It’s no different than a FireTv and appears to be a rebadged AirTv hence the integration with SlingTV. As it runs on Android YTTV, Disney+ , etc.. will be available on it.

It won’t be part of the Edge or the Edge UI. It is a separate device

I studied these other services to compare to TIVO and some were pretty good but only TIVO had a multi decade track record of being in business and financially stable so I felt safe with a lifetime cost of $250 for the DVR service. Upfront cost of TIVO ownership was much cheaper than Dish Network system I had been using after a year.
The business outlook for TiVo is not promising enough that I would bet the farm on it. I think it is still okay today but probably not six years from now. The few contracts they have (such as the very disappointing DIRECTV THR22 and other MVPD's TiVo licensed boxes) will be expiring soon and with those contracts will go much of their regularly scheduled revenue.

The up front cost of TiVo is something that DISH doesn't demand (unless your credit is non-existent). The long-term investment is higher but your TiVo only records OTA and you say that you don't watch a large percentage of that out of principle.

It won’t be part of the Edge or the Edge UI. It is a separate device

The link I posted did state what will be offered on this dongle. How do you know what future app offerings will never be available on the Edge? Is there a reference from TIVO or any of these apps that state they will never be on the Edge? Already, I have new offerings showing up in the Streaming apps section of the Edge. Technically, The Edge is capable of Streaming 4K HDR from independent services with claims from TIVO of more to come. Just need the App and legal for it to happen.

I don't see any reason why TIVO and SlingTV won't be possible on the Edge. The future is not locked in today.

I think Tivo's introducing the Dongle as a lower cost way for TIVO to increase it's customer base by making a device that is similar to the others you mentioned. Right now AppleTV 4K serves me better than this Dongle, but neither do what the TIVO Edge is doing. It is not just an OTA DVR but has 4K streaming as well.
[automerge]1578670738[/automerge]

The business outlook for TiVo is not promising enough that I would bet the farm on it. I think it is still okay today but probably not six years from now.

I don't bet the farm on any company. Not even Apple. In fact I'm about to sell another 100 shares of Apple to take profits. I diversify. If I'm still living 6 years from now I worry about my $250 lifetime sub spent 6 years ago then, NOT! :) It's a silly debate because when Dish Network and TIVO were in a battle over a decade ago, everyone was saying TIVO was dead then. Yet they are still here. Not a great stock to own but the equipment and service works fine.

The up front cost of TiVo is something that DISH doesn't demand (unless your credit is non-existent). The long-term investment is higher but your TiVo only records OTA and you say that you don't watch a large percentage of that out of principle.
Not to pooh pooh Dish Network but a direct cost of the DVR service with Dish Network was $24 + tax a month. That's more expensive than the cost of TIVO lifetime. The hardware is much higher cost too. After a year I'm cash positive on service and the equipment is state of the art.

I do watch OTA Network TV shows but DVR them and skip commercials. This feature on TIVO is better than on the Dish Network equipment and I'm independent of any negotiation between Dish Network and the broadcast and premium services. What I don't watch is hardly any live TV so DVR whether cable news or network shows.

Not to pooh pooh Dish Network but a direct cost of the DVR service with Dish Network was $24 + tax a month. That's more expensive than the cost of TIVO lifetime. The hardware is much higher cost too.

Yep, same example here with the Tablo over just 2 years
Tablo Quad-$199
Lifetime Service-$150
External HD-$100
Video Service (Netflix, Hulu, Disney)-$30x24=$720

$1169 divide by 24=$48.71 a month
Equipment Alone $449 divide by 24=$18.71 a month

Dish Network-Top 120 with 4 boxes/DVR-$85 a month
85x24=$2040
Equipment Alone-25x24 months=$600

So savings of
$871 or
equipment only-$151

And I own my equipment, no leasing, no sending back and having something to show for paying all that money over 2 years

Now if you compare You Tube TV to Dish
$1200 over 2 years
Dish 120 with 4 boxes/DVR service-$2040
Dish 200 ( because of BBC, sports which are on YTTV)-$2520
Savings of $840/ $1320( enough left over to get Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ for 2 years and still save roughly $120/$600)

Last edited:
The link I posted did state what will be offered on this dongle. How do you know what future app offerings will never be available on the Edge? Is there a reference from TIVO or any of these apps that state they will never be on the Edge? Already, I have new offerings showing up in the Streaming apps section of the Edge. Technically, The Edge is capable of Streaming 4K HDR from independent services with claims from TIVO of more to come. Just need the App and legal for it to happen.

I don't see any reason why TIVO and SlingTV won't be possible on the Edge. The future is not locked in today.

I think Tivo's introducing the Dongle as a lower cost way for TIVO to increase it's customer base by making a device that is similar to the others you mentioned. Right now AppleTV 4K serves me better than this Dongle, but neither do what the TIVO Edge is doing. It is not just an OTA DVR but has 4K streaming as well.
[automerge]1578670738[/automerge]

Unless Tivo changes the underlying software of the DVR's from HAXE to Android then nobody wants to create the apps for the Tivo's, which is why the apps are so outdated on the DVR's. The consumer product division is miniscule compared to Tivo's MVPD business side. This dongle is part of satisfying their contracts with the smaller MVPD cable companies. Most of those companies are being moved to the TE4 interface and IPTV via the Android system. Tivo has made no attempt to merge the Consumer product with the MVPD Business product. Sure it could happen in the future and many have hoped it would, but so far there have been no hints at moving the existing hardware dvrs to Android.

I nearly tried out their mvpd product yesterday when I had Vyve broadband installed at my lake cabin, but I stuck to internet only. Vyve is one of the providers that uses Tivo's IPTV product.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)