TiVo ‘Roamio OTA’ Model Targets Cord-Cutters

Reactions: Dan in VA
TiVo Web site clearly says lifetime not available:
http://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna
I added the bold, but it is there under the * section.
OK, it says it now. The fine print disclaimer was not on that page last Friday.

I still thinkk the regular Roamio is the better long term deal, or try to find a Series 3 HD with lifetime.

I read that wording several times, and believe lifetime would be available after the 1 year commitment is over. This really isn't any different than the promotion they had for the premiere when it first came out. Free or $50 box with commitment. Pay more and lifetime is available.

so CNET did a review and I like this line

Internally, the specs are also mostly identical with a 500GB hard drive and four tuners (and if you can find four things you want to record simultaneously on over-the-air TV, you, sir or madam, are a certified TV addict).

If you're a college football fan (I am) you easily filled up the 4 tuners between the 3 CFB games that started at 6:00, 6:30 & 7 (FOX, NBC, ABC) and the CBS game that was delayed and got over at 7:46 Central

Lol, good quote

I think I'll go with the basic Roamio and find one of those codes to reduce the price of lifetime. I only wish the other two models had OTA in case I decide to uncut the cord in a few years.

Lol, good quote

I think I'll go with the basic Roamio and find one of those codes to reduce the price of lifetime. I only wish the other two models had OTA in case I decide to uncut the cord in a few years.

You can always change out the HD in the basic Roamio for a 3TB one, add a TiVo stream and it is like having one of the other two models.

You can always change out the HD in the basic Roamio for a 3TB one, add a TiVo stream and it is like having one of the other two models.
except for the part of having 4 OTA/QAM tuners vs 6 QAM only ones for the basic model, or no QAM at all for the OTA one.

The Premiere was a bit of a hassle, because the disc had to be externally formatted before being used. The Roamio is plug and play.

so I go to my local BB this morning at 10:03 only to find out that Tivo hasnt shipped them yet to stores. Estimated date the 28th (this was per the manager who talked with the Tivo rep. He needed to get the SKU too as they didnt have it readily available)

But I was able to order one and have it shipped to their store (or home if I wanted) and I'll get it Wednesday

What I found kinda shocking was while I was ordering mine there was 4 other folks asking about it (and ordering it) and when I left there were 3 more people. Considering we only have 12 OTA channels in Duluth I figure nobody would get it. Guess I was wrong

so now rumour is you can order it from ANY store with the SKU. Someone at tivocommunity didnt believe that folks could get them so I posted a screengrab of the email I got with the SKU

The SKU is 8758098 if interested (it doesnt show on the website. you HAVE to go to a store)

I would be interested in these if they didn't charge $15 per month for guide data or if a more reasonable lifetime offer was available. I cut the cord to cut down the amount of money I spend on TV. The Tivo Roamio was the first place I looked when I decided to cut the cord in January. The hardware was reasonably priced but the monthly fees caused me to look at other options.

For me the best option was to turn a Windows 7 PC into a DVR. Two HDHomerun Duals for about $110 each made this happen for me. Now I have 2TB of storage and 4 OTA tuners to record or watch live TV with. The Windows Media Center UI is as nice as any DVR I have used and the 14 day guide is accurate and free. Plus my harmony remote works just fine with WMC. I just had to buy a $14 WMC remote to get the USB IR receiver to make it work.

I also use some free software to easily view my recordings on a Roku and Xbox One in other rooms. MCEBuddy will automatically scan my recorded TV folder every night and convert my recordings into a format the Roku and Xbox One can understand over DLNA. It also automatically edits out all the commercials while it is converting the video.

The other software I use is Plex. This just acts as my DLNA server. It sorts my recording by show, season, and episode and makes it easy to access the recordings on my other devices. It also pulls in cover art and makes everything look nice.

Anyways, I can see why cord cutters would flock to Tivo. It's the closest thing to the cable/satellite boxes they were used to before cutting the cord. There is no work to do. You can just plug it in and use it. If you want to cut the cord in the cheapest way possible and are a bit tech savvy I believe that Windows Media Center is the way to do it though.

My home brew setup did take a little work to get everything running exactly how I wanted it. Luckily, once it's setup it's fully automated. The computer automatically wakes from sleep when there is a scheduled recording, when it's time to convert episodes in the middle of the night, and when I try to access it over DLNA from another device. I never have to touch it except when I want to add or delete shows from my timer list. I'm also using an extra computer exclusively as a media server now and if you don't have one that is an extra expense that can bring the pricing closer to Tivo.

Reactions: Mochuf and Titanium
well after a hiccup last night its up and running great
For some reason I couldnt activate it online so I had to call today (was after hours last night) and they got it activated just fine

I like how the 4 tuners work in "non recording" mode. You actually have 4 buffers so I can set it for CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX and just hit "live tv" and flip between them

well after a hiccup last night its up and running great
For some reason I couldnt activate it online so I had to call today (was after hours last night) and they got it activated just fine

I like how the 4 tuners work in "non recording" mode. You actually have 4 buffers so I can set it for CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX and just hit "live tv" and flip between them

Did you get a multi service discount or was that not allowed either?

no. Its 14.99 per the rep with a 1 year contract

So right now I have 3 Tivos
-Series 3 with Lifetime (set up in Minneapolis for Ring of Honor Wrestling and the subchannels we dont get in Duluth)
-TivoHD on a 12.95 monthly plan here in Duluth (still active because if I deactivate it I cant get what is on the hard drive...this one had service paid on it until the end of August...will deactivate once I get the few shows watched or copied over off of it ;))
-Roamio OTA on the 14.99 plan

no. Its 14.99 per the rep with a 1 year contract

So right now I have 3 Tivos
-Series 3 with Lifetime (set up in Minneapolis for Ring of Honor Wrestling and the subchannels we dont get in Duluth)
-TivoHD on a 12.95 monthly plan here in Duluth (still active because if I deactivate it I cant get what is on the hard drive...this one had service paid on it until the end of August...will deactivate once I get the few shows watched or copied over off of it ;))
-Roamio OTA on the 14.99 plan

Don't know what the deal would be with the Roamio OTA, since it seems to have different rules. However, when I activated the regular Roamio, they offered me $99 lifetime on the Premiere without any prompting. She even told me to take the deal because I could sell the Premiere for >$300 if I did. When you are ready, I would call in to deactivate and see what happens.

Don't know what the deal would be with the Roamio OTA, since it seems to have different rules.
Maybe because its in limited supply?
You can ONLY get a regular 14.99 plan...no lifetime, no yearly

However, when I activated the regular Roamio, they offered me $99 lifetime on the Premiere without any prompting. She even told me to take the deal because I could sell the Premiere for >$300 if I did. When you are ready, I would call in to deactivate and see what happens.
thats what I'm thinking at the end of the month when I cancel the HD

now folks are reporting you cant order them thru best buy right now and the Tivo site says "Date TBA"
Happy I got mine on the 1st day :)

Also got a update Tuesday night that gives you the option to series record across ALL channels as an option

now folks are reporting you cant order them thru best buy right now and the Tivo site says "Date TBA"
Happy I got mine on the 1st day :)

Also got a update Tuesday night that gives you the option to series record across ALL channels as an option

What happens if you have multiples of the same network? I'm pulling in 49 channels at my house. I get at least 2 of each of the big 4 networks, CW, and PBS. Some of them are coming in from 3 cities.

I think if I set WMC to do the series recordings on any channel it will record the same episode of Shield from 3 different ABCs. Because of this I set my recordings for new episodes on any day or time slot but I lock the channel to the one I specify.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts