TiVo ‘Roamio OTA’ Model Targets Cord-Cutters

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The Roamio OTA, whose introduction comes about two months after a U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Aereo’s platform violated broacasters’ copyrights, is also compatible with the TiVo Stream, a Slingbox-like device that can stream live and recorded TV to smartphones and tablets in or out of the user’s home, and the TiVo Mini IP set-top.

TiVo said it will sell the new model for $49.99, plus $14.99 per month for the service, in all major markets and in about half of all U.S. BestBuy stores in select markets starting in mid-September. By comparison, the entry-level, four-tuner TiVo Roamio, which does contain a CableCARD slot and is also compatible with an HD antenna, sells for $199.99 and is currently being touted online as TiVo’s “best seller.”

Although TiVo is selling the OTA model initially on a limited basis to see how it is received and to get a sense of how customers will go about receiving OTA TV signals, the company made a “sizable” production run on the model, an official said via email. But if everything goes smoothly, TiVo said it’s open and ready to expand the availability of the new OTA product.

multichannel.com

As with the standard Roamio, the Roamio OTA lacks the built-in ability (found in step-up Roamios) to stream or download recorded programs to an iOS or (soon) Android device inside and/or outside your home network. You can add remote streaming functionality by purchasing the $130 (USD) TiVo Stream, however. The TiVo Roamio OTA will also work with a TiVo Mini ($85 + fees), allowing you share the antenna connection and recorded shows with other TVs within the home.

As usual it pays to get the lifetime subscription if you plan to keep a device for more than a couple years. Factoring in subscription fees and accessories (like antennas and the external hard drives required for some devices), the Roamio OTA is the second-most-expensive cable-free DVR on the market after three years.

If you're looking to save money in the long run, the fee-free Channel Master DVR+ is probably your best option.
Look out for our full review of the Roamio OTA DTR very soon.

cnet.com

The link is interesting. A few items from that link

First, the Roamio OTA does not have a lifetime option. Hopefully, that will be fixed soon. In the meantime it is probably better to purchase the full 4 tuner Roamio and lifetime
Second, Don's description may be misleading. I misread it at first. The Roamio OTA does have the ability to stream content from Netflix or Amazon (but not amazon free instant streaming)
Third, the Roamio OTA is identical in capability to the 4 tuner Roamio, except that it does not contain the cable card slot or the cable tuner, only OTA.
Finally, it can be used to stream to other devices, but that requires an external adapter (tivo stream). It also works with the TIVO Mini, which will allow you to view the TIVO contents on a different TV.

Personally, I would consider the 4 Tuner TIVO with lifetime. The payback is about 4 years, and you have the advantage that it will continue to work if in the future you decide to subscribe to cable.

Or... you could purchase a used unit from Craigslist or eBay. Make sure you have one with lifetime service. The going rate is around $300 for those units.

I have looked at other units, and in my mind the TIVO is the one that works the way I expect it to work. No muss, no fuss, just plug and go.

Yeah cnet had that (lifetime)wrong ...
Looking at the terms on the TiVo site, it appears that CNET is wrong.

I wonder how they settled on four tuners and how they can swing that at the price point. Those CableCard slots must be pretty expensive.

The 4 tuners part is because they are reusing the hardware from the lowest cost TIVO that did OTA and just stripping out the cable tuners and cablecard support.

I assume they are counting on subscription services to subsidize the loss on hardware. Back in the Premiere days, they would give away the hardware for a longer commitment.

The link to the TIVO site is here: http://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna

It looks like lifetime is available. It also looks like this will only be available at Best Buy for now.

I have a standard Roamio for OTA. Does the Roamio OTA work any better for OTA than the base model? Or is the one I got fine enough as it is?

Looking at the terms on the TiVo site, it appears that CNET is wrong.

I wonder how they settled on four tuners and how they can swing that at the price point. Those CableCard slots must be pretty expensive.

If you look at the TiVo site closely there is a ** near the mention of lifetime service that says it may not be offered on promotional products:

Under certain TiVo Roamio DVR promotional offers, a Product Lifetime service subscription option may not be available. Call customer service at 1-877-367-8486 for details on any such current promotional offers.

Perhaps Cnet updated their site:

The catch? You still have to pay the same $15/month TiVo service fee -- and there's no "lifetime" option.

Personally it would be worth the extra $150 to me to get a cable card slot, but more importantly a lifetime subscription. Given that I already own a TiVo, lifetime would be discounted $100, then it is "only" $50 to get the cable card.

I use the cable card slots on both my TiVo Roamios. I view the OTA capability as a back up option if I drop cable again.

As much as I like TiVo I don't see it worth the subscription cost.

I guess that's for each of us to decide individually. I see a lot of people around here who pay DVR fees that are as high or higher, bundled into cable and satellite services.

Worth it to me, especially since they offer lifetime. Try to get that from Comcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts