TiVo ‘Roamio OTA’ Model Targets Cord-Cutters

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
you can set the series timer for one channel or all of them. You have that option
I'm thinking this winter that will come in handy. MN Duluth Bulldog hockey is mainly on My9 (KBJR-DT2) but they do put some games on the main station (NBC KBJR). So I can set a timer for "college hockey" and "all channels" and only need one timer

The TIVO guide is smarter than your average guide. It contains episode number and original air date. It has three options for series recording "New only", "New and repeats" and "everything". My experience is that with the first two options, it will not make a second recording if the show is already on the disk. I haven't tried the multiple sources thing, but would not be surprised if it simply chose one.

While I LOVE the Roamio there are a couple things that irk me
-the list of shows recorded is really small compared to the Series 3. Series 3 the list was the whole screen. This is like 1/2 the page
-sometimes the remote is real touchy. press a button and it goes 2 menus in

But thanks to the tivocommunity site I figured out how to have both the Roamio and the Series 3 in the same room and not have remotes clashing

You can get more real estate if you turn off the live window when in My Shows. It is under settings/display. I believe you can also turn off the TIVO suggestions, but I don't remember how on that.

Agree on the remote. I generally use a Harmony 1 which mostly solves the issue.

Tivo suggestions was turned off day 2. I recorded the news one night and next thing I knew I had every newscast from the day as Tivo suggested ;)

Agreed. I was talking about the menu bar on top of the screen with the "You may also like..." Takes up 20% of the screen.

Do you use the TIVO style or grid style guide? I never warmed to the TIVO style. My complaint there is that the grid doesn't fit all of primetime on 1 screen. You get 2 hours before you have to scroll.

Agreed. I was talking about the menu bar on top of the screen with the "You may also like..." Takes up 20% of the screen.
I assume with that in the menu under displays just turn off all of them? Right now I think it just shows "my shows", "sports" and "whats hot" (or something like that). I did turn some of them off

Do you use the TIVO style or grid style guide? I never warmed to the TIVO style. My complaint there is that the grid doesn't fit all of primetime on 1 screen. You get 2 hours before you have to scroll.
the grid (like what Directv and Dish uses). We only have 11 channels here in Duluth (the 6 nets, 4 PBS stations...and MeTV) so its not that hard to scroll :)

I figured out how to shut off the thing on the left that allowed you to select one type of shows like sports, kids, etc
Hit the "A" button and say "Hide"....now I can see the list more :)

yeah how do you get rid of that? Just go into display options and deselect all the options?
Tried that. Didn't work and actually gave me all the options. I'm pretty sure I had it turned off on the Premiere. Will need to fire that one up and figure out what i did.

I haven't dealt with a Tivo in years, but this new option is tempting. Is there an easy way to extract the full resolution recordings from this OTA Tivo to your pc for archiving?

one thing I noticed (and like) on the Roamio is when it records shows the % of hard drive used jumps once it starts recording. Here is what I mean
Saturday it showed 39% hard drive used before college football started
When 2:30 hit and all 4 tuners started recording it jumped to 63%

so you can see how much space you have beforehand and not have to worry about if a show on the drive will get deleted

I haven't dealt with a Tivo in years, but this new option is tempting. Is there an easy way to extract the full resolution recordings from this OTA Tivo to your pc for archiving?

The TiVo Desktop software does this for all the other TiVos, so I assume it will work with this one too. Essentially you can transfer any unprotected show from the TiVo to the PC as a file transfer. OTA is unprotected as are a lot of cable channels if you have a good cable company (some seem to copyprotect everything).

What happens if you have multiples of the same network? I'm pulling in 49 channels at my house. I get at least 2 of each of the big 4 networks, CW, and PBS. Some of them are coming in from 3 cities.

I think if I set WMC to do the series recordings on any channel it will record the same episode of Shield from 3 different ABCs. Because of this I set my recordings for new episodes on any day or time slot but I lock the channel to the one I specify.

The any channel is a new feature. Essentially it allows you to set a season pass before it appears in the guide. They say they will have series announced up to 6 months in advance available to make season passes. So, if you are watching SyFy and they say some new show is coming out in March, you can set up a season pass right now for it. I assume it will pick an HD version over an SD version (it does that right now for me). When the series in in the guide you can then edit it to fix it to a certain channel if you want.

Reactions: Mr Tony
The TiVo Desktop software does this for all the other TiVos, so I assume it will work with this one too. Essentially you can transfer any unprotected show from the TiVo to the PC as a file transfer. OTA is unprotected as are a lot of cable channels if you have a good cable company (some seem to copyprotect everything).
It is important to note that the TIVO Desktop only works on PCs. The MAC version was discontinued. TIVO Desktop for PC now costs $15.

There appear to be several unsupported packages out there to transfer videos to and from the MAC. All involve some technical skill. Apparently Roxio Toast will work (but expensive), as will an ftp client, although that takes some tinkering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts