TNAP Video Format. How to change?

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
Just a quick one. How to access the video format selections from rcu? Is it possible?
Help button usually will give me the remote keymap. TNAP seems to not.
Its an osmio4k.

The issue. Many broadcasts are in 4:3 format.
I am able to in OpenATV 6.4 to change the settings very easily using the Video button.
I have a few channels that show as AVC 704x480 30i 16:9 SDR in Service & PIDS.

Here's where it gets fuzzy. They show with a black border. Pressing the video rcu button lets me channge the display format with utter ease.
Letterbox shows the native format with black bordering.
Scale fills the screen with a top and bottom black border.
Pan and scan fills the entire screen.
It's a Sony Bravia X930E. Didn't have to go into any menu settings to change anything.

Using Open Vix. Not happening. No matter the setting. Always a black border.
The video settings menu is kind of limited vs. ATV.
Further, the damned rcu Video button is mapped exactly the same as the Media button.
So any video setting have to be accessed in the settings menu.
ATV has a pretty robust "display <insert video mode here> as" menu in setup>video.basic settings.

ViX and TNAP, not so much.
I tried TNAP (hardly ever use) loaded in a slot to see if I could get any cooperation with the video formats.
"Where the hell is the damned Video Format button on the rcu? The menus didnt help.
Pressing the rcu help button usually (always does with atv) shows rcu button mapping.
Opps. EB. You forgot that one!

At any rate. No settings in ViX or TNAP will get rid of the black bordering. At least so far.

In the ViX forum sponsored by WOS. I got the typical British arrogance and denial of user error.
Perhaps. But here I never left with one "cheek" gone and bleeding!
It aint my TV settings, number one.
If it were, then over a bluddy cup 'o tea. Why would one image be able to display a live or recorded show in any available screen display my little wanker heart desired? Hmmm?
But another would not?

Oh yeah. I hooked up my gaming monitor. No issues at all with ATV. ViX? Yup. The same.
And TNAP? That IS the question. Where are the quick settings.

Happy Holidays, and fleas on a dog!

To map the Video button for av/settings do this in tnap.
menu/setup/system/expert settings/hotkey then press the video button.
Shows List/fav/pvr now press ok button now expand the +setup and scroll down to a/v settings press ok then green button to save.

Got it. Thanks. Not exactly what was expected.
So I take it TNAP and ViX wont take you directly into a video mode selection like OpenATV?
In other words (probably again, lol).
OpenATV's Video button just brings up a little box at the top and allows you to cycle between modes immediately. Pan?Scan, Letterbox, or Just fill (the damned screen).

Reactions: SDA_FL_USA
Got it. Thanks. Not exactly what was expected.
So I take it TNAP and ViX wont take you directly into a video mode selection like OpenATV?
In other words (probably again, lol).
OpenATV's Video button just brings up a little box at the top and allows you to cycle between modes immediately. Pan?Scan, Letterbox, or Just fill (the damned screen).
I see what you mean now. toggle video mode do hotkey menu press video button shows list/fav/pvr press ok now press the yellow button then press ok to clear the av/setting then expand +infobar scroll down to Toggle videomode press ok then green to save. now the video button will do pillarbox/scale/panscan.

Reactions: arlo
SDA you ARE the man!
Once I was able to get TNAP working on this channel and following your to-the-point instructions. It was a breeze.
99.99& of TV's have a video or display button to do this.
And OpenATV. Remote buttons are clear and concise.

Still a bit confused on changing channels.
Why in my channel editor channels are ordered by how I want them but TNAP insists on ordering them alphabetically.
Scrolling through menus is freaking me out. Wheres the don't order alpabetically setting?
Single button press to select the list. Up/Down to do just that. Another to switch boo-kays.
Pretty sure I didn't blindly press the channel mapping menu.

Anyway. TNAP does what ViX won't. Same as ATV does. I was able to get rid of the black border.
But "not in your face".
Next task? Selecting favorites and channel up/dn and keeping channels in my order.

Love this place. People are so eager to help and nobody yells you're a bluddy wanker!

SDA you ARE the man!
Once I was able to get TNAP working on this channel and following your to-the-point instructions. It was a breeze.
99.99& of TV's have a video or display button to do this.
And OpenATV. Remote buttons are clear and concise.

Still a bit confused on changing channels.
Why in my channel editor channels are ordered by how I want them but TNAP insists on ordering them alphabetically.
Scrolling through menus is freaking me out. Wheres the don't order alpabetically setting?
Single button press to select the list. Up/Down to do just that. Another to switch boo-kays.
Pretty sure I didn't blindly press the channel mapping menu.

Anyway. TNAP does what ViX won't. Same as ATV does. I was able to get rid of the black border.
But "not in your face".
Next task? Selecting favorites and channel up/dn and keeping channels in my order.

Love this place. People are so eager to help and nobody yells you're a bluddy wanker!
You can change the buttons for channel change with the hot hotkey menu also. First there is a setting in tnap that should be turned off it is at menu/setup/system/GUI Settings/user interface scroll to Enable neutrino style zap controlling and turn off. Now with the Hotkey menu press the button page+ button shows channel up press ok expand +infobar scroll to zap down press ok press green to save now press the page - button shows channel down press ok expand +infobar scroll to zap up press ok and green to save. Zapping up the list to a lower channel number and zap down the channel list to a higher channel number. In your bouquets you can Enable move mode to order the channels how you want them.
edit also you probaly want to set the ok button with hotkey to toggle the infobar.
scroll down to ok press ok expand +infobar scroll to toggle infobar you know the rest. lol

Last edited:
Another cool hotkey I use here is using the context button on the remote to see the extension menu. It is in +infobar (Show extensions selection)
And another one set a button not being used to swap PIP also in the +infobar.

Thanks. It's going to help a lot. I think I exhausted myself going through the menus.
I do have to ask. Even though I have a lamedb file that the favorites (bouquets) and channels are ordered how I prefer them. When finally getting to the channel list in the receiver.
They are in alphabetical order. Went blind wondering why the hell someone would do that and how to just make them the same as they were in atv and vix.
Not so in openatv or vix. They write to the box and show exactly the order I put them in.
It's always been an issue using other images than openatv.

Getting the channel list on the current bouquet to pop open with what would seem is the correct button. Like the 4-way up/down. Or channel/page up, down button.ot being an as
Or with the channel list (not epg...but that would work too) just being able to cycle through the bouquets, in my case by satellite position ie: 127W, 125W.... and crap.
Root canal would be a touch more pleasant than muddling through the TNAP 'out-of-box-experience'.
Not purposefully being an ass. But at least the power and volume buttons are mapped correctly.
tnap? 'turkey 'n a percocet?

There is a few images like openspa pur2 I can't figure out the menus. I just stick with openPli/Tnap. I am not an expert just end user too. I think they can all be setup the same way but it may take some xml files and such modifications. I like the more simple the better.

Reactions: arlo and norman881