TNT-HD now live on Directv !!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When I had E*, TNT HD was one of my favorite HD channels. I don't like NBA, but seeing how good it looks made me want to watch and get me interested in the game. Nascar and the PGA events were great to. So I love TNT HD. Have to see how it looks on D*.

Sean Mota said:
As you can see 85% programming on TNT HD is really SD although the Guide the designation says HD. This is something that many us have emailed TNT to change in the program guide but they have not.

Even their on-screen graphics say "Charmed: HD where available". :rolleyes:

guffy1 said:
What % of the Law and Order episodes would you say are in HD?

All the early episodes of Law&Order are SD. Only the latest ones are HD. I do not know what percentage will that be since I do not follow this show too much. But my point is that Law&Order is not break show for me on TNT. I can get law&order on UHD or the new ones on NBC.

We can agree or disagree on the actual percentage but to me the biggest problem with TNT HD is the lack of HD movies.

SD Series

X-Files
ER
Charmed
NYPD Blue
Judging Amy
Angel
The Lost World

HD Series

Law & Order Weekdays
Las Vegas (one episode per week)
Alias Weekdays
Cold Case (one episode per week)
Without a Trace (one episode per week)

Original HD Series

The Closer (Excellent Series Second Season coming summer 2006)
Wanted (Very good Series. Series return is doubtful)

Upcoming HD series

Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Coming Summer 2006
Saved
Coming Summer 2006

As I said the only sport on HD is NBA. Nascar there are a few races in HD. Golf or PGA tour none...

This is why I said that when you want to see HD on TNT HD, you have to look for the program because not everything is HD 24/7. The movies are the most dissapointment of all.

ChrisPC said:
Even their on-screen graphics say "Charmed: HD where available". :rolleyes:

That is the biggest problem with TNT HD -- deception scheme that they have been running for 3 years. Pretending that we are idiots and don't know what is HD and what is not. I have even seen something worse... They have a stretch out vision movie and the message comes In High Definition. That is is even worse.

gopokes said:
To all those complainers!!! I am willing to bet you that TNT HD looks better than the SD channel!

That is not the point. No one is arguing that. The SD channels are overcompressed to a point where on a normal TV, you can see the compression artifacts. So TNT HD SD material will look better on a normal TV but if you like to watch stretch-o-vision TV, that may work as well. I know I wouldn't watch that stuff it makes your eyes cry... :D

stretch

raoul5788 said:
I wish TNT would not zoom the picture. Upconvert the SD like ESPN does with
side bars, but PLEASE DON'T ZOOM THE PICTURE!!! :(

Mine isn't zoomed, it is stretched and it looks god awful. I think it looks worse than SD.

I can't stand the stretch-o-vision, i.e. X-Files, Charmed, etc. About the only thing that I watch is some NBA & The Closer. The other good news for me is that the PQ on D* isn't any worse than the PQ on my cable. (For TNT-HD, at least!)

Sean Mota said:
That is the biggest problem with TNT HD -- deception scheme that they have been running for 3 years. Pretending that we are idiots and don't know what is HD and what is not.
I was always wondered why all the excitment about adding this particular channel - I guess most of the hype was around the NBA stuff, which I personally could care less about altogether, HD or not.

Let's look at it this way, boys and girls. D* threw us a bone and frankly, it's better than not having the channel. Even upconverted and zoomed stuff looks better than SD.

code4code5 said:
Let's look at it this way, boys and girls. D* threw us a bone and frankly, it's better than not having the channel. Even upconverted and zoomed stuff looks better than SD.

I disagree. Upconverted looks better, but not the zoom.

When might D* be informing the HD package subs who don't read this forum that TNT-HD is available? Do they usually wait until the next bill is sent?

I am very happy to have this channel. The NBA basketball and NASCAR races will look great in HD. I was watching E.R. today while at home for lunch and this appeared to be in HD. (Although it was still down rezed due to D*'s bandwith). For everyone who says that the shows that are not true HD are "Zoomed in", this is false... its all stretched. Even their commercials are stretched, but I would take that over having the black bars on the side. (This is helpful to those of us with rear projection to reduce burn in).

I realize that only a few select shows that they carry are in HD, (E.R., Laws and Order), basically any show that once appeared on a major network seems to be not stretched, but the more original programming shows that they carry from other networks are stretched and not True HD. But the TNT original series' are, I remember this from the series "into the West" that they did last year.

All i care is that the NASCAR races will be in HD!!! Anything else is simply a bonus! If you hate the channel and picture quality Block the channel out!!

It is not perfect, and it has been discussed here at GREAT LENGTH why this is. It will get better but untill then I am more than happy to have another choice is "HDLITE" rather that 3-4 TRUE HD channels.

Glad to have the channel, but I'm not a fan of the stretch either. I much prefer the black bars, as...at least on my set...I can set the TV or box to stretch it if I want stretched (which I never do, but still - it gives *me* the control). But as far as I can tell, there's no way to force the proper aspect ratio for something like this (and I never have been able to stand watching things skewed out of proportion - just a personal pet peeve). That said, it was cool of DirecTV to add this channel. I just wish they did it like the HD networks, which always do the sidebars.

Personally. I would have preferred National Geographic HD instead, if they had to add another channel rather than returning the present HD channels back to full HD bandwith. I'm getting a little tired of paying for a package advertised as "HD" but in reality is only "ED".

Last edited:
robbiee19 said:
Does TNT-HD show any baseball in HD?

Can TNT instead of having an SD and HD Version of their channels so this.......

Have one channel, send it out in HD if source material is in hd and upconvert the rest of shows to HD.. but not the artificial stretching,

and then at the distributors end (DIRECTV) or customers end (RECIEVER) that based on input it goes into tv.....

it is the converted into signal tv can use

in otherwords, instead of needing hd and sd versions of channels

it be sent out all in HD (once the digital coversion in 2009 is steam rolling) and the set top box, or built in tv tuner via the cables we input into the tv, converts it to signal we can use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)