TNT-HD now live on Directv !!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
TNT-HD looks pretty bad, IMO. It doesn't look like real HD with the exception of few sport programs. My guess is that it's just widescreen SD and there is a lot of motion artifacts. I used to have Dish before and TNT-HD was exactly the same. Terrible programming, about 70% of Law and Order (repeat) and picture that looks like expanded SD. I want TMC-HD, STARZ-HD, CMAX-HD. TNT-HD is just another "cheap" channel.

slimoli said:
TNT-HD looks pretty bad, IMO. It doesn't look like real HD with the exception of few sport programs. My guess is that it's just widescreen SD and there is a lot of motion artifacts. I used to have Dish before and TNT-HD was exactly the same. Terrible programming, about 70% of Law and Order (repeat) and picture that looks like expanded SD. I want TMC-HD, STARZ-HD, CMAX-HD. TNT-HD is just another "cheap" channel.

As long as the NASCAR races look good, that is my main concern. Can't stand watching their commercial filled movies and not into basketball. If I want to watch a movie I will watch them on the commercial free stations.

NOTE: The above opinion is just mine and does not reflect the opinion of my entire family. My wife will watch those commercial filled movies all day long.

TNT-HD is NOT HD 100% of time. Commercials and several programs are SD STRETCHED to fit the screen. It looks like ESPN-HD when they started few years ago. The real HD programs on TNT-HD look as good as other HD channels but overall the programming is crap and so is the stretched picture. Unless you are a die hard Law and Order fan , TNT-HD sucks!

bgsmallwood said:
I thought Lethal Weapon looked pretty good this weekend but I was really disappointed that National Security was stretched SD.

I remember last year on Memorial day TNT showed "Saving Private Ryan" and I was a friend's house who has Comcast, (therefore he had TNTHD), but that movie was also Stretched. It looked like crap. I wonder why TNT does this with some movies and not others. The HD movie Channels like HBO show all their movies in HD, and if they can't because their distributed copy was given to them in a 4:3 aspect, they show it that way.

I turned TNDHD on a bit this weekend, and even during the HD broadcasts (like nascar on Saturday), the picture would break up fairly often, and sound would be lost for a couple seconds. This happened a LOT - it was acting like an off air channel with a poor antennal. Video and audio quality was great when it worked, but the breakups were so frequent it's nearly unwatchable.

sequoiadean said:
I turned TNDHD on a bit this weekend, and even during the HD broadcasts (like nascar on Saturday), the picture would break up fairly often, and sound would be lost for a couple seconds. This happened a LOT - it was acting like an off air channel with a poor antennal. Video and audio quality was great when it worked, but the breakups were so frequent it's nearly unwatchable.

I noticed that also, but I think they were working on tweaking the signal. The signal level was jumping all around for a while, but toward the end of the race, it was better.

I watched "HDTV" X-Files for the first time last night. It was better than the low octane variety so I'll take what I can get.

How many other HDTV channels are we missing out on that cable or Dish folks have? I know the..ahem...gentleman's channel went HD a year or so ago. I'm not sure who carries that.

HD channel

DBSOgre said:
Which gentleman's channel?

Hef's PB. I remember reading an article from a year or so ago in which a PB exec said he doubted "adult content" would ever go HD because some of the "actors" look pretty rough as it is.

joedekock said:
I remember last year on Memorial day TNT showed "Saving Private Ryan" and I was a friend's house who has Comcast, (therefore he had TNTHD), but that movie was also Stretched. It looked like crap.

Not true - SAVING PRIVATE RYAN was shown unedited in True HD.

Maybe your friend had the TV or receiver picture set incorrectly, or Comcast was upconverting the SD feed for some reason...

Last edited:
Sean Mota said:
All the early episodes of Law&Order are SD. Only the latest ones are HD. I do not know what percentage will that be since I do not follow this show too much. But my point is that Law&Order is not break show for me on TNT. I can get law&order on UHD or the new ones on NBC.

We can agree or disagree on the actual percentage but to me the biggest problem with TNT HD is the lack of HD movies.

SD Series

X-Files
ER
Charmed
NYPD Blue
Judging Amy
Angel
The Lost World

HD Series

Law & Order Weekdays
Las Vegas (one episode per week)
Alias Weekdays
Cold Case (one episode per week)
Without a Trace (one episode per week)

ER is shown in HD ;)

TNT HD - So What?

The best that can be said is that it is another 'HD' channel.

Otherwise, I don't think much of the programming - I hate basketball and I cannot watch 237 episodes of Law and Order every day!

jammy said:
The best that can be said is that it is another 'HD' channel.

Otherwise, I don't think much of the programming - I hate basketball and I cannot watch 237 episodes of Law and Order every day!

Jammy, they showed 4 episods last night so it's on't 233 left. :D l

Yes a lot of the stuff is upconverted SD and does not look anywhere near as good as true HD. However, it looks a lot better on my Sony SXRD than SD does so I'm not gonna complain for now. It will get me by until D* gets a few more satellites up and their big plan starts to kick in. If things don't improve then, then I'm gone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)