To All VOOM Subscribers & Guests

Just including warning about explicit/implicit language on some threads. See beginning of thread.

dfergie said:
gosh voom make a deal with replay and i am so there :)

You mean replaytv (dvr)? I haven't heard anything about it. I know their dvr will probably come from Motorola.

Mr. Hildebrand and Mr. Sapan,

I spent a long time on the phone last night with one of your representatives trying to find out about the service that Voom offers. It was the second time I had called within 20 minutes. The first time I called, the woman directed me to your website to answer questions that required an actual person to answer, and also insisted that your service was owned by Time Warner. I pointed out that that was a little odd, I already had Time Warner HD, and why would they compete with themselves? She said your company was an outsourcing of Time Warner's service, an attempt to broaden their horizons through offering satellite service. The second person I spoke to, a Mr. Brian Beyers, was extremely helpful and nice, and did his best to answer my questions, especially as the conversation went on for a little over an hour. One thing that he was unable to make clear, and I do not blame him for this, as I don't imagine this is part of his training, was whether you were showing all your HD movies in the aspect ratio of 1.78. From what I was able to gather from Brian's description, you were showing both War of the Worlds (proper aspect ratio 1.37) and Blood Alley (proper aspect ratio 2.55) in 1.78, thereby destroying the image as it was supposed to appear.

You may believe that customers will not be able to tell the difference if, in the case of War of the Worlds, some heads are cropped off, or in the case of Blood Alley, some people are cropped off the side of the image, but by going through this process and ruining the image and pretending it is normal, you are insulting the intelligence of those informed viewers and pandering and condescending to those viewers who have yet to understand how aspect ratios are supposed to work, as well as corrupting the intention of the filmmaker. If the film was shot in 1.33, and you would like to show it on one of your HD networks, please windowbox the image, as that is how it is supposed to be seen. If the film was shot in 2.35 or 2.55, please show it in that ratio. If people don't like the bars because they don't understand their purpose, your box has the option to zoom in, and they can see the film that way. But don't destroy the image before we can make up our own minds. Since what are you trying to do, is take us away from the larger conglomerates (though I am aware you are part of one) by giving us options and choices, you should do the same with the programming itself. Do not make the decision for us. Your goal should be to get me to put down my DVD in the correct ratio, and watch your vastly improved HD image.

If you continue to show all movies in 1.78, you would be forcing the informed viewer to settle, thereby lowering their expectations. Your goal should be to exceed expectations, never promise more than you can deliver, lest the customer be disappointed. The main reason I did not subscribe to your service last night, was because of this destruction of the films. I refuse to have to compromise, and I will stay with my current provider until these issues are either worked out by you, or another, more attractive offer is made.

And since smaller businesses rely on word of mouth, I will be forced to tell friends not to choose your service for this reason.

Elmo,

Welcome to the board. I do agree that the OAR of each movie is essential. We need to chime in and tell VOOM not to crop the Cinema 10 movies and show them in its OAR.

Please read the announcement of the new software coming on Saturday the 17th.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=4138

However certain things will NOT carry over to the new forum, these things that will not carry over include Avatars, stored private messages, File Attachments, and user taglines. You will be able to re-add these things on the new software once it’s online.

We will be keeping the old phpBB site online as an archive for a few months so you will be able to access the features which were not carried over.

I will try to carry over all the attachments and photos posted. Your personal Avatars you will need to upload again and any private messages you might have to transfer them over if you want to.

There are some cleanup that will be done on Saturday morning in the VOOM forum. I may clean up everything by Saturday morning but if you see strange things let me know. This upgrade will be benefial to everyone!

Ok, so we are back!!! and there is a some work to be done. I will be setting all the attachments back and there are some posts that came with some strange codes. So there is a cleaning process. Keep me posted if you feel there are things missing in the VOOM forum. You may post here...

Love the new look, even though I've only been a member of the 'old' look for a couple of days. We appreciate your efforts in keeping this site running.

Keep up the good work.

I have restored a few attachments and pictures and corrected links and lists that were not working. I have more to go so don't feel left out if yours is not done. I am just going down each thread and fixing it. So give me sometime.

I think I have attached all the attachment in this forum and have fixed most of the links that did not work. If you happen to come across a link that is not working, let me know. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)