To cover or not to cover

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skitheberks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
CT
Is the feed horn cover necessary? Since the new LNBF is sealed and I have coax seal on the connection, can I go without the cover? The reason is the mounting plate was meant for a larger scaler ring and there are only two bolts holding the mounting plate to the scaler and there is a lot of gaps for wasps.

Any pros or cons to using the cover?

the old cover was in fact to help with the critters plus keep the feedhorn out of the weather. i suspect you would be ok either way. i keep mine uncovered plus i like to tinker with it about once a month lol so leaving it off keeps me from having to remove it each time :)

most of these covers were black and for some reason is a hot hot color for a cover so when the temps hit the 100's here i'm sure my lnbf would be close to 120 to 130 easy so another reason to leave uncovered

I"m also in the "feedhorn not necessary" camp. I had one on my first system and found it was a refuge for the bugs rather than keeping them out. Also, a cover catches a little more wind which can make quite a difference on ku on a windy day. Like George mentioned, your lnbs really take a baking under a cover in the heat of the summer. Something I've noticed over the years is cable dish farms don't use covers....maybe they know something:)

I run without a cover.. When I took the dish down last year from it's former owner's house, a quarter of the cover was filled with a huge wasp nest. (That's one of the interesting parts of BUD relocation...) I threw the cover in the trash and just run with the LNB exposed to the elements. I've had no troubles at all.

No cover here. I have a cover on my 7.5' but not the 10'. Coverless is fine. LNB probably will live longer without a cover since it is painted white. White repels heat. Heat is your enemy.

Be sure to use LNB gaskets and seal up the connectors and run 'er necked. On BUD'S it will give just a smidge more surface area to leave the cover off. I think it was more of an asthetic appeal to have a cover...but I hate bees...

I don't use a cover either, but probably because I've removed the elbo, so the lnb sticks straight out, and makes it where the cover won't go on it. I don't think it's necessary...???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)