To Seal or not to seal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Rain, hail, sleet, snow, it is all moisture. So, do you seal your "f" connectors that are outside or not? If you do, what do you use?

Thanks wescopc I haven't seen those before. I usually just gum mine up really good with coax-seal, lol. It seems to work.

I use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly on all my outdoor connections and it's served me well over the years. It's also cheap too as the Wife usually has some in the medicine cabinet.

Those rings are interesting.

Thanks wescopc I haven't seen those before. I usually just gum mine up really good with coax-seal, lol. It seems to work.

That is what I have used in the past.

There is a self amalgamating tape that you can buy that seals out the weather.

I have seen tape of this type on my friend's Hughsnet connections. Liked the idea it covered both ends of the connector.

I use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly on all my outdoor connections and it's served me well over the years. It's also cheap too as the Wife usually has some in the medicine cabinet.

Hummm, never gave that a thought. Should work OK.

The local Dish Network guy told me he doesn't use anything. For what it's worth...

That is what the Dish installer did here. Wires out of dish to a connector block and then into the house. Grass watering gets it all wet along with the rain.

Thanks guys for the interesting ideas.

i have never used anything and never had a problem....i dont like protection (haha, okay bad joke) we get basically every weather condition possible here....heavy rains, hail, and heavy snow etc etc....as long as you use good quality cable and connectors i dont think its nessessary....

I use silicone grease inside all outdoor antenna coax connections. Have never had a moisture or corrosion related problem. It's also good stuff to use inside automotive plug-in wiring connectors. You can buy it at auto parts stores.

I use to use silicone grease but then if I try and take that stuff off it looks like someone blew their nose on it

I use those rings in post #2...the installer who installed my Directv dish gave me a bag of them (and as bag of PPC 6XL connectors since I used those on my setups)

Like the rest of you I thought those rubber seals on the ground blocks dish and DIRECTV use would keep the water out.

When new coax was installed a few days ago. I took the ends off the old ground block that had rubber seals on it and one of the connections had gotten water in it and had corroded. The connections were on a pole, so it was never in an area that had moisture on it a lot .

I have used that "tar tape" that they used to include with your old c-band lnb's but it would just adsorb water and defeat it's purpose.

I use GE Premium Silicone. It is supposed to last 35 years, and it sun and freeze proof. I put it on where the coax goes into the back of the compression fittings,and where the fittings meet the male connection. That stuff will do a good job.

Lately, I've been using PPC-EX6XLWS fittings, which have an integrated sealing ring, on my outdoor cabling.
I use and like those a lot! It is best to use a torque wrench with the WS fittings - they can feel tight when they are not tight enough, because they need to have good a metal to metal connection for reliability. I have had to return for a trouble call (No signal) because they weren't tight enough in the first place!
Bob

A torque wrench? How do you get a socket on a fitting?
202730.jpg or stahlwille-crow-foot-spanner-tp_1642511084156491924b.jpg

I never use any sealers on my coax connectors. Then again we only get around 9" of rain annually in these here parts.;)

Like the rest of you I thought those rubber seals on the ground blocks dish and DIRECTV use would keep the water out.

When new coax was installed a few days ago. I took the ends off the old ground block that had rubber seals on it and one of the connections had gotten water in it and had corroded. The connections were on a pole, so it was never in an area that had moisture on it a lot .

I have used that "tar tape" that they used to include with your old c-band lnb's but it would just adsorb water and defeat it's purpose.

I use GE Premium Silicone. It is supposed to last 35 years, and it sun and freeze proof. I put it on where the coax goes into the back of the compression fittings,and where the fittings meet the male connection. That stuff will do a good job.

Is this a silicone grease, or a glue type product?
Can you post some details on the stuff?

I use a product bought from the place where I get my coax connectors called dielectric grease. Seems to work ok.

It's just premium silicone, the kind they use for windows. Keeps water out.

Make sure you get the freeze/sun proof, the other stuff is made for kitchen and bath, not made for outdoor use, the stuff I use is for windows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts