To those who have swapped out Hoppers

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Have not have, nor will I have much time in the next couple of days to install new Hopper w/Sling that came yesterday. Do you just hook it up, run check-switch and call to activate?

Also, just hit "0" on remote to restore back-up settings?

Any special steps needed to get Sling going?

Thanks!!!

When I swapped Hoppers, I just took the old one out and hooked up the new one in the same fashion. Didn't even turn on the TV for 20-30 mins (I was working on other things) and the receiver updated itself with no issue. HwS is easier to setup than H2k was as the factory firmware isn't as buggy. Then once I hit the authorization screen I just did an online chat (since its the quickest way to activate.) I made sure that they marked it as purchased as well as checking Dish's equipment page immediately after to make sure of the purchased status. You probably have a leased one though so that doesn't matter for you.

Yep just hold "0" and restore.

If Sling was working properly on your old receiver (that is, if it had a Sling Adapter) then the new one shouldn't need any configuration.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Initial setup is pretty straight forward & requires little user input.

If unit is going to be connected wireless is it also easy to connect. Just go through the menu/network, should be pretty much self explanatory especially for us guru's. :)

* Don't forget to have your joeys unplugged when setting up the hopper. You can plug them up & pair them after you have live tv on the hopper.

Last edited:
I just swapped a hooper a couple weeks ago. The guided set up worked perfectly. In less than 1/2 hour it installed its self. I activated it from the web site. Timers restored but I lost all of my of my folders, all of the timers were set to the same folder regardless of the original setting was. Turned on primetineanytime and it picked up where the old one left off

I just swapped a hooper a couple weeks ago. The guided set up worked perfectly. In less than 1/2 hour it installed its self. I activated it from the web site. Timers restored but I lost all of my of my folders, all of the timers were set to the same folder regardless of the original setting was. Turned on primetineanytime and it picked up where the old one left off

Just wondering, do you not have to reset your timers when exchanging hoppers?

Another tidbit.

Once you have live tv on the hopper, power it down. Joeys for whatever reason are more easily recognized this way.

This info helps as well, mine is scheduled to come tomorrow!
Guess we will be going through this together. Won't be able to play tonight as I am sitting in an ER with my Mother. Aftermath of a recent fall and broken rib.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Guess we will be going through this together. Won't be able to play tonight as I am sitting in an ER with my Mother. Aftermath of a recent fall and broken rib.

Well, family comes 1st. Hope she heals quickly. The hopper can wait.

When you are ready we'll be here to help you. You're my favorite codger on here. :) Best wishes to your mother.

Oh no....hope all goes well

A tip, when the authorization screen appears on the replacement hopper you can activate it without calling. Go to dish.com, log in, select my equipment and there should be a prompt to swap them on the spot sending the receiver authorization instantly.

?Just activated my replacement hopper easily!

Sling doesn't really require much setup other than making sure your Hopper is connected to the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Just swapped the 2nd HWS tonight (did the 1st one last night). Looked at mydish.com and am being charged $12 for DVR service, $12 for one hopper, $7 each for two other hoppers and $7 each for two joeys. Thing is I only have two hoppers and two joeys. Plus I was assured my fees wouldn't change. Looks like I'll need to contact DIRT to fix the mess.

Favorite "codger" ??? LOL . How old do you think I am?? Or maybe I should ask your definition of a "codger". No matter.

Well, at least I am younger than you. (Smile...don' know how to put emotions with this app).

Both of us home now. Got her wrapped and strapped...for a few days.

Just swapped the 2nd HWS tonight (did the 1st one last night). Looked at mydish.com and am being charged $12 for DVR service, $12 for one hopper, $7 each for two other hoppers and $7 each for two joeys. Thing is I only have two hoppers and two joeys. Plus I was assured my fees wouldn't change. Looks like I'll need to contact DIRT to fix the mess.

I was told if I upgraded mine I would lose my grandfathered fee price even though others have said that they were told it wouldn't. Tell us if it gets corrected.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)