Took the plunge to Dish.

djmav

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
San Leandro, CA
Hello All.

I took the plunge with Dish. Just to give a little background. Two weeks ago, I was a D* customer, who switched to Comcast based on the things that were promised by Comcast.

Needless to say the picture quality did not compare to what I had with D* and to top it off the rep told me that VOD would be available in my area (when it reality it's not and not planned to until later 2006) and more pricey that D* (another lie by the comcast rep that it would be cheaper)

I was going back to D* but a comment from the actual Comcast installer mentioned that E* was better and started looking into it.

After finding this wonderful forum and research I decided that E* would fit my needs.

I have four rooms to take care of. I signed up for the everything pack and will have to admit I got a pretty good deal I think? I have the 942 which will handle my main TV and a bedroom, and a 522 for the other two.

In the end, I will be paying less that I was at the others.

That is my introduction, and I am sure I will questions later on.

I myself have not had any problems at all with dish but, some people do have trouble with them. I think you will be happy with dish just fine. I do like it better than directv.

Welcome to the site, djmav! :)

I'll preface my next sentence by saying: I have been overall happy with my Dish Network experience and feel I am not overpaying for the channels I want (and have).

But, be prepared for disappointments along the way. Mostly those disappointments will stem from buggy hardware and false promises (or, some may say, outright lies). But I'm sure you've come across many accounts of that type in your research on this forum.

So good luck with your E* service. :)

I am getting the 942 and 522. All my fees for the 522 will be waived as a new customer.

That will handle both rooms, however I am now thinking maybe I should wait on the install to get the 625?...

Thanks to all that posted above, I feel a lot better about my decision.

Is the 811 a pretty decent receiver? I dont have 299.00 upfront to get the 942

Remember to do research on the cabling aspect as well as without dpp equipment you will need at minimum to RG 6 to each receiver

New E* sub too. I'm trying to determine what the best deal is on 2nd and 3rd room receivers myself. I'm doing the 'lease' option on the 942, and I'd originally had an 811 for the bedroom HD set and a 311 for the SD office tv.

I'm wondering whether to get the 811 for the 3rd room (thinking it would fold-in HD OTA and display the HD channels on the SD)...and, call me crazy as I THINK I read this on this or another forum somewhere, but once you pay the $250 942 lease fee, I heard you can actually get a 2nd 942 as well (and just pay the $5 DVR rental). If so, I wonder if that'd be a wise sub for the 811 connected to the bedroom HD set?

Anyone have advice here. And, do I need to call a CSR or can anyone validate that you indeed have to subscribe to local channel package to get OTA folded into the program guide--I'm reading conflicting info between posters.

shanewalker said:
Anyone have advice here. And, do I need to call a CSR or can anyone validate that you indeed have to subscribe to local channel package to get OTA folded into the program guide--I'm reading conflicting info between posters.

From what I understand (can't get OTA here) the 811 uses PSIP data (when available) for local channel guide info. The 921 and 942 both require a subscription to locals thru Dish for OTA guide info.

NightRyder

Hopefully by the time that some cable companies that do not have the advanced hardware that has HD and DVR functionality yet comes out that satellite would have something else out to stay a step ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)