Top of HDNews missing? Mitsubishi owners try this:

I fixed the problem by going into the service menu of the tv and adjusting the screen to an overscan image supplied by my AVIA disc.

If you don't know what your doing in the service menu then I sugguest that you contact a service technician to solve this problem for you.

pOiNTBLaNK said:
I fixed the problem by going into the service menu of the tv and adjusting the screen to an overscan image supplied by my AVIA disc.

If you don't know what your doing in the service menu then I sugguest that you contact a service technician to solve this problem for you.

Yeah,
I don't even know how to access the service menu so I guess I'll leave it to a pro.

wasch_24 said:
Ok. I have attached pics of the top of HDNews being clipped.
pOiNTBLaNK,

Misubishi employs the 5% overscan that is typically the industry standard.

wasch_24 said:
So do you think if I call Mitsu they will adjust to my liking under the warranty or will I have to pay extra?

Thats a good question. Sure can't hurt to ask them I guess but I have a feeling since they use a 'industry standard' that it won't be something they will do for free.

Is missing 5% of the picture that important to you? I only ask because it seems only to be an issue with tickers/info that get partially cut-off.

Mr. Biggles said:
Thats a good question. Sure can't hurt to ask them I guess but I have a feeling since they use a 'industry standard' that it won't be something they will do for free.

Is missing 5% of the picture that important to you? I only ask because it seems only to be an issue with tickers/info that get partially cut-off.
Well, not really but last night I noticed that ends of letterboxes and pillars are curling towards the corners which suggests too much overscan. When I get new toys I sometimes become moderately obssesive-compulsive about tweaking and such. Maybe I should just live with it for a while and let things settle down before I start trying to access service menus and such.

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions!

Thanks again for all the help. It has been a pleasant experience to be able to post a question on a forum and not be attacked or insulted.

The conclusion that I have come to, which is what Chris suggested early on, is that it is an overscan issue with the Mitsubishi. Mr. Biggles was spot on with the 5% number because the consensus of other forums and online rearch is about the same.

To truqui and trugel:
I have found the service codes for Mitsubishi TV's. I am considering trying some adjustments (I also found the code to reset to factory defaults-just in case) sometime soon. If you guys want these shoot me an email.

Thanks again,
Todd :D

I get the same thing on my Pioneer Elite 710HD. I also notice that the right side of the DiscoveryHD bug gets cut off. I have gone into the service menu to try to adjust the overscan before, but once I got there, it wasn't very user friendly and I didn't know what to do.

Sean Dudley

seandudley said:
I get the same thing on my Pioneer Elite 710HD. I also notice that the right side of the DiscoveryHD bug gets guy off. I have gone into the service menu to try to adjust the overscan before, but once I got there, it wasn't very user friendly and I didn't know what to do.

Sean Dudley
Yeah, that's what I have been hearing about sesrvice menus. I think I'll try it and if it gets to harry I'll either live with it or shell out some $$$ for a pro to do it.

Todd

That's great news wasch 24...I have been away from the computer so I didn't get into this thread till today. As you know that's exactly what I get with my Mits.
If you are successful at fixing it through the service menus please let us know!

Currently, I have my whole setup unplugged and out of use. Right now my family room is upside down because I'm having a wall unit buit-in...Jeeezz, what a bummer, I miss my HDTV!!! Hopefully it'll be ready today and I can set it all up tomorrow.

Did HDN change the bug on the bottom right to a transparent??? I thought it used to me a solid gray I never wanted to watch it because I am always afraid of burn in....

truqui said:
That's great news wasch 24...I have been away from the computer so I didn't get into this thread till today. As you know that's exactly what I get with my Mits.
If you are successful at fixing it through the service menus please let us know!

Currently, I have my whole setup unplugged and out of use. Right now my family room is upside down because I'm having a wall unit buit-in...Jeeezz, what a bummer, I miss my HDTV!!! Hopefully it'll be ready today and I can set it all up tomorrow.

Small world, I just finished my built in last weekend. I haven't tried the service menus yet, I am still on the fence whether or not it will be worth it.

wasch_24 said:
Yeah, that's what I have been hearing about sesrvice menus. I think I'll try it and if it gets to harry I'll either live with it or shell out some $$$ for a pro to do it.

Todd

Todd,

I contacted Mitsubishi about this and told me this was covered under my 1 year warranty. Not sure how long you've had your TV but you may want to give them a call at 949-465-6000. I have a techician coming to my home on Thursday. I'll ask him to walk me through the steps he takes and will send you what I'm able to find out.

Tom R.

Problem resolved

trugel said:
Todd,

I contacted Mitsubishi about this and told me this was covered under my 1 year warranty. Not sure how long you've had your TV but you may want to give them a call at 949-465-6000. I have a techician coming to my home on Thursday. I'll ask him to walk me through the steps he takes and will send you what I'm able to find out.

Tom R.
I just finished resolving the problem on my own tonight. I will post the details tomorrow (Wednesday). The problem is the combination of the STB cropping and then the TV cropping that image. I guess overscanning is the right word. Anyway, I have a full picture of HDNews as well as Worldsport now. It isn't too difficult but I really had to pay attention to the details as far as writing down the original values before I changed anything because some of the settings really whacked out the picture.

Check back tomorrow around 0930.

Well it looks like i will have to do all 4 of my tv's because all of them do it, :shocked , i just don't see why all of my set's do the same thing on just that channel 100 :confused:

Jim1961 said:
Well it looks like i will have to do all 4 of my tv's because all of them do it, :shocked , i just don't see why all of my set's do the same thing on just that channel 100 :confused:

It is all of the channels. It's just easier to see on 100. After I tweaked the settings the orange and white score board box on Worldsport was considerably further from the edges of the screen. Before I adjusted things I couldn't even see the time or the first two letters of the team name. Now it is a good inch away from the edges of the screen.

Doing four TV's would be a pain in the arse. If you can live with it I would just leave well enough alone.

txdude said:
I don't think it's overscan... I think they need to move their overlay graphics down a bit.

It is overscan though. If you hit the Voom button while the weather is on you can clearly see that there is more information being brodcasted then there is showing up on the full screen view.

Go to page two and look at post number twenty. Those are pictures of what I am talking about.

The problem was resolved by tweaking the amount of overscanning being done by my TV and recentering the picture.

Apparently what MrBiggles and Pointblank stated in numbers twenty-three and twenty-four is right. It makes sense that if the STB is already overscanning 2% and then my TV was overscanning that image by 5% then I was loosing a considerable amount of screen data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts