'Torchwood'

DannyR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Anyone else watching this British tv series? (not being broadcast here in the US yet) For those who don't know, its a dark spinoff of Dr. Who.

My wife, who hates the Stargates and BSG, loves this show. Its not so much about the scifi so much as about the main characters and the toll and temptations their work has on them.

I had noticed that in several episodes of the latest season of Doctor Who the word "Torchwood" was mentioned, kind of like the "Bad Wolf" references from the prior season. I wondered what else might come of that.

I heard about this from a friend who downloads a lot of European tv online. Hadn't heard anything specific about the show though.

I read that Torchwood was officially given a second season. Maybe that will perk up SciFi's interest in obtaining the series for US viewers.

FYI: Can't wait till the brank spanking new Christmas episode of Dr. Who!

I've already seen these...
1. It nothing like Dr.WHO
2. They will have to do some serious editing to make it to US TV or it will have an MA/NO/AR rating
3. If you dont like to see men kiss...dont watch it.
4. It nothing like Dr WHO.....but it does grow on you. The acting is very very different and the stories dont seem to have a lot of direction...

This is taken from Wikipedia: Torchwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 13 episode series similarly ended with a two-parter on January 1, 2007. The first part entitled "Captain Jack Harkness" was a gay love story set in wartime Britain, with a subplot which served to push the setting towards an "apocalypse" for series finale "End of Days" which dealt with the ramifications of diseases and persons from throughout history falling through time and across the universe, arriving in the present day, its focal point in Cardiff. The episode also set up Jack's return in the Doctor Who episode "Utopia". The second series of Torchwood will also comprise 13 episodes, and will feature "Torchwood's encounter with a rogue Time Agent; a tragic time-slip from World War One; and a memory-thief who uncovers long-forgotten secrets among the entire team."[2]

On April 2, 2007 it was announced that BBC America had acquired the rights to broadcast the series in the United States.[35] The series is scheduled to start on September 8, 2007[36]; the broadcast of the series is tied-in to a "radical makeover" of the channel that is to occur later in 2007.[35] Furthermore, HDNet has acquired the US HD rights for the first 26 episodes (Series 1 and 2) and will be airing Series 1 episodes on Monday evenings, starting September 17, 2007[37].

HDNET is cable, and not even basic cable. So men kissing or anything else like that is no bfd. A lot will depend on what time its shown.

Oh... and I didnt know this until quite recently believe it or not, but Torchwood is an anagram for Doctor Who. The first tapes sent to BBC were labeled that way to fool people who didnt need to know what they actually were and prevent leaks or spoilers. Maybe that was on one of the DVD extras? I didnt rent them.

Cool. Great pickup Mark Cuban.....

Instead of defunct TV series, he's expanding his search to great programs from across the pond... How about Hex and MI-5 (aka "Spooks") next?

Got this back from an email question about Torchwood. Looks good to me. Can't wait

Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 7:04 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Torchwood

Hi-

Thanks for the email, we're happy that you're enjoying the programming on HDNet and looking forward to Torchwood!

The show will air uncut and unedited on HDNet.

Thanks, again and please feel free to contact us with any other comments or questions.

Voyagerbob

The first season was somewhat disappointing. The first few episodes (written by the showrunner for Dr. Who) setup a premise that wasn't really followed up.

Many of the episodes were just standard sci-fi plots that could have been adapted for just about any series.

PS And yes, very adult (in contrast to Dr. Who which is nominally a children's series).

Unfortunately by the time you see Torchwood, you will probably have seen the season finale of Doctor Who which has a interesting spoiler of Torchwood. I made the mistake of watching all of the current season of Dr. Who before I had finished watching Torchwood. My friend from England didn't tell me I should finish Torchwood before watching the Doctor.

XBox Live users can download a great trailer off of the Video Marketplace to see what the fuss is about.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)