Toshiba Shelving OLED

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
Toshiba shelves OLED production plans, focuses on LCDs and licking its wounds Posted Oct 3rd 2010 5:46PM by Vlad Savov Man, it's got to be tough for the proud guys and gals at Toshiba these days. First the company gets whooped in the optical media format wars, and now it's having to ingloriously bow out of the OLED race as well. Citing a recent uptick in LCD demand alongside the impact of the recent global economic crisis, Toshiba says its mass production plans for OLED displays have now been "frozen" and will be reviewed from scratch. That sounds like a company cutting its losses to us, which should make our fellow OLED enthusiasts all sorts of unhappy. There had better be some damn fine (and thin) LCDs in Toshiba's pipeline if it hopes to keep us sweet.

Thankfully, they aren't the only player in this field. Nor were they the big dog.

Samsung, and especially, LG continue development. We'll likely see the Kodak developed white OLED first, with color filters. Higher yield rates, I gather.

Samsung, and especially, LG continue development. We'll likely see the Kodak developed white OLED first, with color filters. Higher yield rates, I gather.

Sony is the only company to market with an OLED TV. At 11" and 2500, its a bit pricey, but has been available for almost 3 years. They promised a 27"+ for early 2010, then changed it to 4th quarter (now). My guess is the accounting department is tightening the purse strings and it could be a while. An interesting aside about Toshiba, a feeling I get from the industry. I was viewing a wireless HD video sender several years ago from Phillips. 30' and 3grand. While I was asking questions, about 6 or 7 Japanese started surrounding the diplay trying to get a look at the back. The Phillips rep chased them away, which wasn't easy. When they left, he said under his breath, "damned Toshiba". I asked and he commented that that was par for the course for that company. Remember, they were banned from selling in the US 1986/1987. Selling American secrets to you know who.

I am interested in OLED as some of you are also. Problem is that the masses see the thin LED panels and see the cheap price compared to OLED and think it is the same tv with a better deal. The same as some have an HDTV and watch sd only. Thinking they are watching hd. Or watching hd in dynamic mode thinking that is the most accurate mode. Companies will need to educate the masses on OLED before the technology takes off.

Look at how LED LCD's are STILL overpriced. It'll be 10 years for OLED is affordable, and then they'll still be working out PQ bugs (Plasmas and LCD's are still trying to figure out all their cons)

Wake me up when it's over.

LED is not OLED.:D One is used as a backlight on displays and must be supplied with electricity. The other provides its own light (Organic).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)