Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say

Vurbano, one of the reasons that HDM on disc has not taken off is because there were two formats. After one subsides and the consumer can see there is only one format pushing HDM then you will get the high volume sales that will push competing CE manufacturers to improve their product and to push their prices down to get market share. This could not of happened as long as their were two formats competing.
I have to disagree with this excuse that the reason HDM did not take off is because of the format war. The war is fought out in these forums, with very little effect on J6P. Most people don’t even have HDTV so its completely different from VHS or DVD, which had no major obstacle(HDTV) to over come. That along with the fact that the difference between DVD and HDM is tiny compared to the difference between VHS and DVD. Most people given the choice between a $500 incomplete BD or a sub $50 up converter will select the cheaper most times. Those 2 major obstacles are/is/will what’s holding back HDM to 2% of sales, and not a format war that 90% of J6P never heard of. Not to mention $29 - $39 MSRP.

I am not sorry that HD-DVD lost because it was the smaller spec'd format of the two competing formats. I wish that the BDA had started their format with a 2.0 requirement of all players from the first one offered and then some of your objections would not be valid. But I truely believe that within the next 18 months BD will be fully spec'd , widely supported, and at a priced point where you and others would be comfortable supporting and enjoying the format.
Smaller specs has been proven irrelevant many times. There has never been a difference between the Hi-Def experience. If anything on average from day one HD DVD was the highest rated most complete experience. Don’t you think your 18 month prediction is a little generous? I think so. I can't imagine a $150 BD player any time soon. If that 18 month mark is missed then BD will find itself in a no win battle with downloading. Looks like this war was fighting for little more then 18-24 months of life to come, because after that its not going to matter anyway.

that 18 month mark is missed then BD will find itself in a no win battle with downloading.

Video downloading is much more than 18-24 months away if it ever makes it mainstream. I personally will never buy a downloaded video that can not be placed on an external media. To many times, I have seen hard drives die and people losing all their data.

I dont think it's that far away, but what is needed is buffet style, flat fee for access to a library. Paying to watch a movie, then having to pay again to watch it a couple days later are what kill it for a great many people.

I dont think it's that far away, but what is needed is buffet style, flat fee for access to a library. Paying to watch a movie, then having to pay again to watch it a couple days later are what kill it for a great many people.

Rentals are one thing but purchasing a full movie for your library is a totally different one. Heck even downloading SD movies has not hit the market by storm so why would HDM's be any different.

I have to disagree with this excuse that the reason HDM did not take off is because of the format war. The war is fought out in these forums, with very little effect on J6P. Most people don’t even have HDTV so its completely different from VHS or DVD, which had no major obstacle(HDTV) to over come. That along with the fact that the difference between DVD and HDM is tiny compared to the difference between VHS and DVD. Most people given the choice between a $500 incomplete BD or a sub $50 up converter will select the cheaper most times. Those 2 major obstacles are/is/will what’s holding back HDM to 2% of sales, and not a format war that 90% of J6P never heard of. Not to mention $29 - $39 MSRP.

Smaller specs has been proven irrelevant many times. There has never been a difference between the Hi-Def experience. If anything on average from day one HD DVD was the highest rated most complete experience. Don’t you think your 18 month prediction is a little generous? I think so. I can't imagine a $150 BD player any time soon. If that 18 month mark is missed then BD will find itself in a no win battle with downloading. Looks like this war was fighting for little more then 18-24 months of life to come, because after that its not going to matter anyway.

This is not an excuse but is a fact. There are over 25 million HDTVs currently in homes accross the USA. If you put all the BD and HD-DVD units together along with the PS3 you will still not have 25% of the market. That means that 75% of the market is currently setting out waiting for a winner to be called before they spend their hard earned dollars. If you think that the differance between DVD and HDM is tiny then you really have not experianced High Def video and sound. Once you do then you will not be making those type of comparisons. And no upconverter will give you the PQ or the AQ from DVD that you can get from HDM -- not even close. Put that upconverted DVD on a 65" or larger screen and you will crap.

You can't imagine probably the same way you could not imagine HD-DVD losing. Just because you have cheapest product on the block does not mean that everybody was going to buy it. Time to get over the loss and stop making excuses for why you think BD will fail when you did not think HD-DVD would fail. BD won -- there is a fact you can bank with.

Toshiba waves white flag

Just reported on the news that Toshiba is giving up after the Wal-mart decision to only support DRM-Ray.

I'll look for a link.

Here it is from Reuters
Toshiba shares up on reports to quit HD DVD | Markets | Hot Stocks | Reuters

TOKYO (Reuters) - Shares of Toshiba Corp (6502.T: Quote, Profile, Research) rose 1.2 percent on Monday after a company source said it was planning to abandon its HD DVD format, allowing the Blu-ray technology backed by Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) to become the standard for the next-generation DVD.

Shares of Sony opened up 1.65 percent at 4,930 yen, while Matsushita Electric Industrial (6752.T: Quote, Profile, Research), a key Blu-ray supporter, fell 0.7 percent.

A source at Toshiba told Reuters on Saturday that the electronics conglomerate was planning to give up on the HD DVD format after losing the support of several movie studios including Warner Brothers and key retailers. ID:nL16431844

Toshiba, which led a consortium promoting HD DVD, would suffer losses of hundreds of millions of dollars to scrap production of its equipment and other steps to withdraw from the business after losing out to the Blu-ray camp headed by Sony, Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported.

While keen on a new format DVD that can hold more content and produce higher-quality pictures, movie studios and retailers want a single format that would avoid the cost of producing and stocking two different types of DVD.

Shoppers, faced with two formats and movies that might only play on one or the other, have tended to buy neither at a time when the entertainment industry was hoping the new generation discs would revive the $24 billion home DVD sector.

An end to the war means consumers can now be sure they won't be stuck with a 21st century equivalent of Betamax -- Sony's videotape technology that lost out to VHS in the 1980s.

Shares of Toshiba were up 1.2 percent at 794 yen as of 0002 GMT after opening up 0.3 percent. The benchmark Nikkei average .N225 was up 0.1 percent.

I made this thread a sticky. Hopefully this will help reduce the number of duplicate threads on the same subject. ;)

I only posted that this was old news. It did not have to be moved.

HD-DVD to pull the plug as early as Tuesday

Toshiba may pull plug on HD DVD format - Yahoo! News

OKYO - Toshiba may pull the plug on its HD DVD business, the Japanese electronics maker said Monday, in what would signal the almost certain defeat of its next-generation video format to rival Blu-ray technology.
ADVERTISEMENT

Toshiba Corp. said that no decision has been made but acknowledged it had started a review of its HD DVD business strategy. The company statement was issued after weekend reports from Japanese media, including Kyodo News, that Toshiba is studying a possible withdrawal from HD DVD.

A company official, speaking on condition of anonymity as she is not authorized to speak on the matter, said a board meeting could be held as soon as Tuesday, where a decision is likely.

HD DVD has been competing against Blu-ray disc technology, backed by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, five major Hollywood movie studios and others.

Only one high-definition video format has been expected to emerge as the winner, much like VHS trumped Sony's Betamax in the video format battle of the 1980s.

Despite the reports, Toshiba's stock soared 6.4 percent in morning trading. The gain underlines how the market is welcoming the relatively quick decision as lessening the potential damage in losses in the HD DVD operations, despite the blow to Toshiba's prestige.

The news of the possible demise of HD DVD also prompted Nikko Citigroup analysts to raise their rating on Toshiba to Buy from Neutral, noting that Toshiba was making a smart move.

"On the earnings front, its operating profit will likely gain by 20 percent from the next fiscal year," said analyst Hiroyuki Masuko.

The reasons behind Blu-ray's apparent triumph over HD DVD are complex, analysts said, as marketing, management maneuvers and other factors are believed to have played into the shift to Blu-ray's favor that became more decisive during the critical holiday shopping season.

Recently, the Blu-ray disc format has been gaining market share, especially in Japan, where studies showed more than 80 percent of the purchases were Blu-ray.

On Friday, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. retailer, said it will sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware and no longer carry HD DVD offerings.

The announcement came five days after Netflix Inc. said it will cease carrying rentals in HD DVD. Several major U.S. retailers have made similar decisions, including Target Corp. and Blockbuster Inc.

The decision of movie studios was also key.

Last month, Warner Bros. Entertainment decided to release movie discs only in the Blu-ray format, becoming the latest studio to reject HD DVD.

That left only Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures and General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures as exclusive supporters of HD DVD.

In addition to Warner Bros., Blu-ray is now backed by Sony Pictures, Walt Disney Co. and News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox.

Both formats deliver crisp, clear high-definition pictures and sound, but they are incompatible with each other, and neither plays on older DVD players.

HD DVD was touted as being cheaper because it was more similar to previous video technology, while Blu-ray boasted bigger recording capacity than HD DVD.

Adding to Blu-ray's momentum was the gradual increase in sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 home video-game console, which also works as a Blu-ray player. Sony has sold 10.5 million PS3 machines worldwide since the machine went on sale late 2006.

But PS3 sales have trailed the blockbuster Wii machine from Nintendo Co., and the game machine wasn't widely seen as that critical to the video format battle.

Its predecessor PlayStation 2 was instrumental in helping spread the popularity of old-style DVDs, but there was no comparable format rivalry at that time.

Toshiba is expected to focus its resources on its other businesses, including computer chip production, such as flash-memory, which are used in digital cameras and cell phones.

The Nikkei, Japan's top business newspaper, reported in its Monday's editions that Toshiba plans to invest as much as 1.8 trillion yen ($16.7 billion) in two plants in Japan for its flash memory business for fiscal 2008, starting April 1. Toshiba said no decision has been made.

If anyone is interested in seeing the actual NHK News report:

NHK HD-DVD News Report

FWIW, Toshiba will continue selling existing stock, undoubtedly at closeout prices.

Hundreds of movie titles are available at extremely low prices, especially in the used market.

It's a great opportunity for people to experience HDM on a shoestring budget.

I have watched Sumo on ESPN2 2 or 3 times. I really enjoy SUMO and I almost got the Japanese channel just to watch Sumo. I also like those crazy Japanese game shows. They are a riot!

But watching Sumo on ESPN is a watered down version, and I find it actually boring to watch. I practiced SUMO for years on a Japanese amateur team close in Aomori Des. Yes I miss, a lot about Japan, they have killer TV and Commercials that make no sense at all. Damn you can not even get Japanese’s beer here in the US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)