Total Recorder & PCR

Intrepid63

Original poster
Feb 5, 2006
As I am new to this forum, let me first say hey!
I wasn't sure which section to post this in & this seemed most logical for the topic.

I have been reading miscellaneous threads over the past several days, In particular for Sat Radio & the Time Trax Dilhemma...
I have been messing around with My newly acquired XM/PCR: I don't know why so many people would spend 2-300+ bucks, for it.
Not to say it isn't worth it, I have been a big fan of XM since I got it last January...
But I just bought my XM/PCR (Rec. only, as I have my regular antena, as well as the car adapter) from "MyRadioStore" in the U.S (I live in Ontario, Canada) for 64.95USD.
I love this thing!
Anyway, one of the reasons that I have been wanting to pick up the PCR was because of the potential of using TimeTrax to "record"
Obviously, I am a little disappointed, having learned that I can only use a 15min trial.
However, after reading a whack of the posts from a lot of experienced folks, both here & a few other places, I have found a way to use Total Recorder 6.0 with the regular player that came with the PCR, and I can not only record the audio from The PCR, but I have it automatically splitting at the end of each song, plus it labels the songs accurately.
I am so stoked. I could not believe how easy it was (Once I mucked around a bit)
XM Rocks even more now.

Intrepid

I just got myself an XMDirect in hopes of TimeTraxing (of course that's not happening)

I've been able to record with Total Recorder but not label and split the tracks accurately - what's your secret!??

Hey Odb

It was just a matter of a few settings.
I do not know what settings you have for TR, but when I did a fresh install of TR and made the changes from the default set up. Not many changes at all.
I left if recording all night and part of today... I have 272 track (Incl Station ID Breaks)
Here's all you need to change: Main window - no changes.

Under Options-Settings:
Driver: I chose My Sound Card
Playback: My Sound Card
File Names: Files using file tag
Split: Split Auto
- Conditions - Check only: For each new sound format(fixed option)
When clip info in external player changes
Split @ the point with the lowest level within 1 second
Use clip info from external player for created file tag &
name.
Check state of these external players: XM Radio XM/PCR

Format: I chose MP3 - Program for encoding - Lame Encoder - Joint Stereo
Pre-Recording: Max # of seconds = 1
Check off - Activate Pre-Recording when program starts.

That's it, I believe.
Rock on - Let me know how you make out

Intrepid

It should also be noted that on occasion - not too many - that you may need to use a program like Audicity & trim off the beginning or ending of a track - on occasion the DJ's voices are left on a track for a second or 2

Intrepid

To Edit the tracks - (Example; Track #, Date, Month, etc...
Go to Options - Settings - File Names: Rules Using Tags (EDIT)

Total recorder and split tracks

I have the standard TR which doesn't have a split tracks option under options. Do I have to upgrade to the Professional or Developer edition?

Hey Intrepid,

Pardon my ignorance, but how can it automatically fill in the tags? I thought Total Recorder simply captured the audio coming through the sound card. How does it get the song/artist info from the XM signal?

PCR & Total Recorder.

hey nlj61

Not sure exactly how it is able to capture the audio tracks & label them accordingly.
Still trying to figure that out - I am no software guru, but I do perform a great deal of software/hardware troubleshooting in my profession, so I just use a lot of "tried & true" methods to figure out stuff.

I would be willing to bet that there are likely quite a few existing "Streaming" apps available, that perhaps more of them are capable of doing this - I am going to experiment with some.
But as you can see from my original post - using these settings with Total recorder 6.0, the XM/PCR & the player that comes with the XM/PCR - it does indeed work.
I have been recording seperate tracks successfully for the past couple of days, now.
Also I have tested it with XtremePCR as the player - it too still allowed Total Recorder to successfully capture.
I do not know if the type of sound card makes any difference.
I am assuming that as long as you have a line in feature, you should be good to go.
In case it matters; I am using the Creative XFi-fatality

Intrepid

Hey Intrepid,

Pardon my ignorance, but how can it automatically fill in the tags? I thought Total Recorder simply captured the audio coming through the sound card. How does it get the song/artist info from the XM signal?

I'm assuming it monitors the XMPCR application and pulls the tags from the window header.

Hey 0db

Near as I can tell, that seems like the most likely explanation.
I'm still playing around with it and a few other apps.
Like I mentioned earlier - I believe that there are other streaming apps out there that do the same.
But, at least we know that TR 6.0 will do the job.
I'm loving it - got it now so that when I crash, it records with a #, title, artist date
Too Cool.

I assume you have it running pretty much the way you wanted - no probs with track splitting?

Intrepid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)