Using Total Recorder with Time Trax

axel

Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Are there advantages or disadvantages using total recorder? Can someone explain how to do this? Thanks for your help.

axel said:
Are there advantages or disadvantages using total recorder? Can someone explain how to do this? Thanks for your help.

The how would be easy... install Total Recorder, play with it to split on very short breaks, install the encoder DLL of your choice, then fire up Recast to start your radio and start up TotalRecorder to turn on the XM radio. The end result will be a bunch of mp3 or ogg files with time/date stamped names.

The why would be a lot harder to answer. If it wasn't for controlling the XM radio you wouldn't even need TimeTrax as TotalRecorderPro at least has a nice scheduler in it.

The advantage to using TimeTrax is that you only have one program to mess with and the mp3 files you save will have the artist-title as part of the filename and it'll be tagged already.

Personally, I see no real reason to use TotalRecorder even though I've owned the Pro version for several years.

I thought that I read somewhere and I cannot find where I read this, that one could use time trax, but enable total recorder as the input device in the configuration box instead of the soundcard.

Well, I know the part of the configuration you're talking about... that's where youp'd normally tell TT to record from your sound card. You could tell it to record from TotalRecorder's driver instead.

Unless I'm missing something, the only thing I think it'd give you is the ability to record with both programs. The TR driver acts as a "T" connector tapping off between your soundcard and Windows so that anything going to your sound card can be recorded using the TR program itself.

But then again, I'm not perfect nor do I know everything. Even though I've owned TR for a long time, I'm certain there's aspects of it that I don't know about much less have mastered.

So I may be missing out on some really neat trick.

LVWolfman said:
Personally, I see no real reason to use TotalRecorder even though I've owned the Pro version for several years.

Because the TimeTrax package is expensive and only works with very limited makes/models (handful). Total Recorder is inexpensive and works directly off the Line IN/OUT from any device or sat radio to PC. It is very easy to setup, use, and to rename the MP3s with the Artist - Track in about 5secs. It will also time shift and record from the webcasts/streaming.

charper1 said:
Because the TimeTrax package is expensive and only works with very limited makes/models (handful). Total Recorder is inexpensive and works directly off the Line IN/OUT from any device or sat radio to PC. It is very easy to setup, use, and to rename the MP3s with the Artist - Track in about 5secs. It will also time shift and record from the webcasts/streaming.

I assume there is another program to 'control' the sat radio then?

Totaly recorder is an awesome recording program - but I still missing what would be used to control that SAT RADIO portion.

(as I said above, I guess there is another program and an adapter to control the SatRadio) - Too much stuff in my opinion.

There are other programs to control the radio. And yes, TR is a fantastic program, that's why I bought it.

But the original question has to do with using TR with TimeTrax. That's the part I don't understand the purpose of.

LVWolfman said:
There are other programs to control the radio. And yes, TR is a fantastic program, that's why I bought it.
But the original question has to do with using TR with TimeTrax. That's the part I don't understand the purpose of.

the only purpose to use Total Recorder with the Time Trax Recast product would be, to obtain, totally independant recordings so that you know there is nothing "hidden" in the file you recorded and therfore no hidden Digital Water Marking that Time Trax Recast May or MAY NOT be doing as they refuse to talk about this.

My purpose and motivation is trying to determine if quality of recordings would be better. I thought I read something about this in this forum, but I cannot find it now. I did check with the information on the High Criteria Total Recorder webpages, it did mention something about using software for recording rather than hardware, so that the digital signal would be recorded instead of analog. I do not think that would modify the digital watermark. If I remember correctly what I firsts read somewhere, I thought that I originally understood that both time trax and total recorder were used at the same time

Ahh... I haven't followed any threads on digital watermarks nor do I care about them. Anything I might record really is for our own personal use. The only obvious watermarking I've seen is that the Radio ID is embedded in the ID 3 tag but again, I don't care.

So far the quality produced by TimeTrax using Lame seems just fine to me. Lame is the same DLL I used with TotalRecorder so I doubt that quality would be improved by using a different wrapper for the DLL. Besides, with my old ears 128K sounds just as good as 160K or 320K so that's what I record at.

I use Total Recorder all the time for recording Opie and Anthony. Time Trax hasnt been able to do it properly for me, and I dont want to miss anything!! I dont distribute anything its all for my persoan use so I'm not concerned with any hidden stuff either.

TR is a great program and I use it for making ringtones and editing my mp3's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)