Tp question on certain sats

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
Is it just me or do any of you have this issue?

I am using a Geosatpro 3500 hdvr and with this receiver you can pull in channels at only 5 pct quality. I can say it is decent for pulling in weak signals.

Ok I have a 90cm dish and a geosat slpll lnb. I have spent hours adjusting this thing. I have the elevations on the dish and motor dead on. I am tracking the arc from my south sat at 85 to 125. The thing is there are some tps that are very strange and change alot.

87 west SES2

New York lotto= for some reason it is gone 80 pct of the time! I know it is supposed to be 24/7 like the Florida Lotto one but even when I get it I only get 5 pct and it barely pull it in.

89 west

I rarely catch a feed. I have caught 2 feeds in 3 weeks! The LDS mux is gone half the time and sometimes it is at 5 pct then if I move to the tp and wait a few seconds sometimes it will flux up to the 20's to low 30's! Very odd tp.

97 West

The better I tune the University Network and other tps the lower others do down on the same bird! I can get the university Network up to 50 or so but it knocks another tp down to 40 or so, however I can get the same tp up to 68 or 70! However when I do it knocks the University Net and KTV down to 5 to 10 pct! Weird.

99 west

Same thing above happens with the Russian mux and Infowars!

I rarely catch feeds on this bird. Like maybe 1 a week.

The NBC mux comes in up to 25 pct when The NBC occasionals and Cozi are down to 5 pct, however I can get those and Cozi up to 30 or so pct but when I do I lose the Mux!

I catch alot of feeds. Maybe 12 or so new ones per day.

Reuters at times is down to 5 and I barely get it but other times it jumps to the 30's!

Daystar fluxes all the time!

Pbs stays pretty consistent.

I have marked the pole and moved the whole assembly and tried setting everything. I heard the lnb I have is one of the best and the dish is brand new and looks like no warpage. I figured with this size I should hit it better. Maybe I am just too OCD about the signal quality and should just be happy to get alot of feeds but part of me is thinking of all the feeds I may be missing.

The motor I have has a little mark looking scale thing on the elevation and latitude sides that looks like an engraved arrow and that is what I am using because I assume it is on there for that reason.

Does anyone have any comments? Are any of you noticing this same thing?

Pretty much I only catch wild feeds on 87,91,103 and occasionally on 105. I catch no new feeds on the other birds. Is this normal or do any of you catch wild feeds on 89,99,101,113,123,125,or 127?

Here are pics. I am guessing the mark on the motor elevation is the scale. Does anything look off to any of you?

Attachments

• IMG_20190806_174644.jpg
    IMG_20190806_174644.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20190806_174656.jpg
    IMG_20190806_174656.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20190806_174719.jpg
    IMG_20190806_174719.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20190806_174748.jpg
    IMG_20190806_174748.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20190806_174804.jpg
    IMG_20190806_174804.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 198
Well I'm using a 76cm Winegard dish and sounds like mine is out performing your 90cm. I had a 90cm GEOSATPro that was warped and I could not make work worth a damn. The 76cm out performed that one big time. I received a replacement reflector and the .76 still does a better job.

87W is not good on the Winegard here and never has been. However, 103W is very good with Quality in the high 70's to low 80's. The only thing on 103W that comes and goes is the 4 channel mux. 99W, 123W and 125W have always been good. One of the things I gauge the alignment on is if I am able to get the Fox Mux on 99W...If I can then I know I am pretty well aligned. 113W...Reuters has always been low quality - usually about 50% but always locks with the rest of the channels on that sat in the high 70's.

I do spend quite some time making sure it's dialed in dead nuts to my South Sat and that it tracks the arc perfectly. If your dish is warped even slightly then you will have goofy issues especially on Ku. I noticed that on my warped 90cm that elevation was extremely touchy when I would try and adjust.

Also, I noticed that you mentioned that you are only getting wild feeds on 103W? If that is the case, 103W can be a bit tricky especially if your pole is not perfectly plumb thus causing the motor not to track the arc perfectly. You should be getting all the NBC feeds on the sat.

I would say off the bat that you either have a warped reflector and/or alignment issues -

I am getting everything on 103. All the NC 1-12 feeds, cozi, the nbcs and lots of feeds. I get no fox mux i guess on 99. Which receiver do you have? Maybe geosat 3500 is a low signal quality readout because you can lock in at 5 to 7 pct.

Ok sorry missed the part about the NBC feeds on 103W...I’m using the Mio as my main box but have several in my arsenal. With your 90cm dish and your location (TN) I would think you could do better than you are.

Looking at your pictures, especially the one of the rear of your dish...looking at the 11:00 position, it almost looks like it has an issue like it’s bent or something

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: a33
Looking at your pictures, especially the one of the rear of your dish...looking at the 11:00 position, it almost looks like it has an issue like it’s bent or something

I think so too.
Whether it's just the rim or the whole dish is hard to see.
String test would be necessary (and maybe more dish measurements).

There was also an issue about the LNB aiming, at the end of this topic: Got my new dish in
No follow up on that till now, though.
Bit confusing that it is all ending up in various topics; instead of one topic, about the one installation. I lost track a bit.

Greetz,
A33

Well I noticed I did have it a bit too to the West. I swung the whole mount and dish a bit to the East and think I am just about dialed in. I am getting almost top signal on 87 and on 125. I may be able to squeeze a hair more, tomorrow I am going to maybe move it another half inch to the east and check to see if I am going to get a bit better. I still cant get the dang ny lotto feed, but am getting everything else.

There is a slight bend on the top of the dish on the outer rim but I know the signal doesnt hit up that high. Until I get ahold of a birdog or sat meter I dont think I will be getting much more with this size dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)