Transfer of access card

JigB

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Hi.

My Directv receiver (HR22-100) died a few days ago. It's obviously quite old but I'm thinking of getting another one off eBay.

Will my existing access card work on another one? What about if I get a newer model, say a HR24?

Hi.

My Directv receiver (HR22-100) died a few days ago. It's obviously quite old but I'm thinking of getting another one off eBay.

Will my existing access card work on another one? What about if I get a newer model, say a HR24?

Negative. Access cards are, as they say, “married” to the receivers, no divorce permitted. If you get an eBay receiver you’ll need to order a new access card from the death star. In the case of eBay, and especially with any newer receivers it’s highly recommended to contact DTV with the receiver ID and ensure the receiver is not leased before purchasing.

More than likely if you just call in, explain the issue and demand a drop shipped receiver they can ship one complete with a new access card at no cost (maybe shipping).

Hi.

Contact customer service and explain that your HR22 died. Even if it does do something, tell them it's dead, doesn't even light up. They will send a replacement HR24 with no charge, other than possibly shipping, and no contract extension.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitewolf8214
It depends who you talk to. The answer is no, but if you shut up and speak with tech support and give them the card number they can likely activate it when you give them the rid.

Since most equipment is recycled anyways they can’t really tell if the access card is new or used.

I haven’t bought a new access card in 2 years. I got a big stack from broken receivers I use with zero issues.

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the options.

My receiver was bought outright and not a lease...does that have any effect on whether they'll send me a new one at no cost (excluding shipping)?

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the options.

My receiver was bought outright and not a lease...does that have any effect on whether they'll send me a new one at no cost (excluding shipping)?

I hope you confirmed with Directv that you'd be able to activate that specific RID on your account. Just because someone on eBay tells you are you "buying it outright" doesn't make it so. If Directv won't activate it on your account, it won't matter whether you get a new card or not, it will be worthless to you.

I hope you confirmed with Directv that you'd be able to activate that specific RID on your account. Just because someone on eBay tells you are you "buying it outright" doesn't make it so. If Directv won't activate it on your account, it won't matter whether you get a new card or not, it will be worthless to you.

Sorry, meant that the one that died was bought outright.

Also keep in mind if your account has been converted to AT&T it’s impossible to activate anything bought from any 3rd party.

I had to stop selling equipment on eBay because every single receiver I sold I had to activate in behalf of my customer who bought it because Directv was giving them crap about activating it.

I had a few people I ended up just refunding.

Reactions: harshness
Hi, so a lot of the receivers I found on eBay were already activated. However, there are others that state that they are new and not activated. My question is: given that I had a HR22-100 before and am NOT on a genie system (but am on the SWM3 system), what is the highest receiver model I can get?

There are a few HR44-XXX on sale but not sure if they will be compatible.

HR24 is the newest non swm dvr. All Genies require a swm system.

I bought receivers on eBay before. Last one was an HR44 I needed for a dealer demo.

As long as they have never been active and look new, you should be fine.

You can get an HR44 pretty cheap.

$50 on eBay vs $299 what they where going to charge me to activate as a demo account

I bought receivers on eBay before. Last one was an HR44 I needed for a dealer demo.

As long as they have never been active and look new, you should be fine.

You can get an HR44 pretty cheap.

$50 on eBay vs $299 what they where going to charge me to activate as a demo account
Thanks...then since I have a SWM3 setup, the m the HR44 should work right?

Not sure. ATT is nowrefusing to atctivate receivers that the customer did not get from them.

If I get the HR44, will that mean that I have to move onto the Genie system? I have other receivers on my account in my home that are also older models (HR22/HR24). I don't really want to move onto the Genie system.

If I get the HR44, will that mean that I have to move onto the Genie system? I have other receivers on my account in my home that are also older models (HR22/HR24). I don't really want to move onto the Genie system.
I'm not sure what you mean by move onto the Genie system. You will have to pay the whole home dvr fee if you don't already.

I'm not sure what you mean by move onto the Genie system. You will have to pay the whole home dvr fee if you don't already.

So, currently with my old receivers, I'm on the SWM system. I haven't had to upgrade a receiver in quite some time so sorry for my ignorance here. Since I may get the HR44 (which from my understanding is a receiver that can be used for the Genie setup), I wanted to ensure that, just because I was getting the HR44, I didn't have to start upgrading to the Genie system and that, this new receiver would work well in my old setup just as my older one did (and as my other older ones do).

FYI: I chatted with Directv and they tried their hardest to drop ship me a new receiver without a tech (they said they don't do HR22's anymore so most likely, it'll be a new one, like the HR44). However, after an hour of trying with multiple different people and departments, they couldn't get around the Tech coming, which they said he happy just to drop off the receiver if I tell them to. However, as mentioned, I was able to do a drop ship and just pay for shipping ($19.95)

Also, thank you all for your help and advice in all of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)