Traxis receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darobster1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
Covington, TN
I saw a brand of receivers called Traxis. Are the decent? And are they user friendly? Are they just as good as the viewsat and coolsat brands? I'm just now getting my feet wet with FTA stuff. Thanx.

just scratching the surface

For quite some time, the Traxis 3500 didn't have its optical output working properly.
That was recently fixed.
It also is reported as a pretty fast blind-scan receiver.
Not sure of the other models in that brand.

If you look hard enough, there's probably some little niggling problem with each of the brands you've mentioned.
Often, the problem is quite trivial, and wouldn't affect the way most of us use 'em.

Another thing is price.
Would you pay twice as much to have some little problem fixed, and maybe put up with another?
The Viewsats seem to have an artificially inflated price due to them being favored by the hackers.
Supposedly, the Traxis' are not hacked, and the 3500 can be had for half the price of most Viewsats.

The Coolsat 5000 has been a receiver favored by a number of the forum members for some time.
It cost midway between the other two, did most things quite well, but had a few minor secrets. :)

If you can get one of the less-desirable receivers cheap because it's used, is that a bargain?
Often it is!

In a lot of cases, many of the receiver companies have come out with new hardware recently, and it's hard to say how they all work without more extensive testing.
Some (many?) don't really make their own hardware; they buy it from various factories.
The latest Coolsat receivers have a different user interface, and we think that's because they come from a different manufacturer.

Point being, you really have to ask about specific models, not just brands.

Traxis brand

I saw a brand of receivers called Traxis. Are the decent? And are they user friendly? Are they just as good as the viewsat and coolsat brands? I'm just now getting my feet wet with FTA stuff. Thanx.

I bought a Traxis 1500 model almost a year ago, it has a pretty good picture but I don't use it much, in fact it's currently not in use at all, one thing I don't like is that it has NO clock.

One thing I've observed from extensive reading, is that on some receivers, the clock won't keep good time.
So what's worse? No clock? Or one that's incorrect? :cool:

Of course, for receivers which have their own hard drive, it's no longer funny.

Traxis 1500

One thing I've observed from extensive reading, is that on some receivers, the clock won't keep good time.
So what's worse? No clock? Or one that's incorrect? :cool:

Of course, for receivers which have their own hard drive, it's no longer funny.

You have a good point there, I haven't seen any receiver or VCR that keeps accurate time, My Captive Works receiver is way off but thats only if I set the time to manual operation, I have it set to auto mode, it is updated everytime I watch TV but the problem with this is that the time will vary depending on the particular channel I watch because of different time zones, so again, what's worse, right?

The Traxis 1500 just shows dashed ---- lines instead of time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts