Tribune stations gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm really not one for government to get involved but the FCC really should get involved in these carriage disputes and arbitrate them and also put in some kind of rule that if an agreement is ending and nothing can be worked out by the end date that the channels stay on at the previous agreement price until the matter is arbitrated. It is only the customers and fans of shows who get the short end when this stuff happens.

different rules. Antenna TV (the main station) wont show any sports. Your affiliate will break in and show the cubs and sox games

Its like that here in Minnesota. In Northern MN there use to be a affiliate of RTV (Retro TV Network). They also broke in and showed MN Wild games that were on local TV in Minneapolis.

Ah the days when local broadcast stations actually carried sports. Boston sports teams became greedy a long time ago. Now they are RSN exclusive. Once upon a time the rule for the Bruins was home games on NESN (which was subscription for cable customers) and away games on WSBK 38.

K9SAT said:
Antenna TV has NEVER carried a cubs game.

WGN-Chicago OTA does carry Cubs Games in the Chicago Market OTA, as does WCIU Chicago when WGN-Chicago can't due to conflicts. Cubs & Sox Games not shown on WGN Chicago or WCIU Chicago are broadcast on either CLTV, or CSN Chicago. WGN America broadcasts different programming & does show some Cubs/Sox Games.

WGN-Chicago: (OTA, Cable Local, Satellite Local)
WCIU-Chicago: (OTA, Cable Local, Satellite Local)
CLTV-Chicago: (Cable Local)
CSN Chicago: (Cable Local, Satellite Local & Season Ticket Packages)
WGN-America: (Cable & Satellite)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

There was a story about this on WPIX NYC's newscast just a few minutes ago. DirecTV is threatening to pull all Tribune owned stations, including KTLA, WPIX, WGN America, WGN Chicago feed, etc. from their systems. People have inquired about a Superstations package on DirecTV for years. Good thing they don't carry such a package, everyone subscribing to it would only get WWOR and WSBK after this Saturday. I know at least one of the distant net CW stations (WDCA) is owned by Tribune, I wonder if carriage will be affected for those who have a waiver to receive the station outside of Washington, DC.

No consent is needed to broadcast a superstation. So I am not so sure that the Tribune owned superstations would go away. Having said that D* has no supers package so this is an academic discussion.

Attention DirecTV Subscribers: You may lose FOX40in 2 days, 13 hours and 47 minutes. Click here to tell DirecTV you want to keep FOX40, American Idol and all your favorite shows. Time is running out! This is a message that is showing up on my screen an their web site, here in the Sacramento CA area, so this is for real, Tribune owns this station.

Last edited:
Yeap. Dish went through something similar. Fox 40 was the very last major added in Sacramento. If I remember correctly it took them almost a year to add. Might have to set the timer on my pal.

S~

Ah the days when local broadcast stations actually carried sports. Boston sports teams became greedy a long time ago. Now they are RSN exclusive. Once upon a time the rule for the Bruins was home games on NESN (which was subscription for cable customers) and away games on WSBK 38.

Same thing with the Detroit sports teams. Now I can only find most of the Pistons, Wings, and Tigers games on FS Detroit.

I don't think we know what they want for any of the affected stations.

I would pay $7.00 a month for a super station package. Hope its in HD :)

Just another argument for ala carte programming. If they offered the tribune stations as a package, I wonder how much anyone would be willing to pay for them? I know my bid would be 0. In fact, I would demand payment for watching the CW.

WGN-Chicago OTA does carry Cubs Games in the Chicago Market OTA, as does WCIU Chicago when WGN-Chicago can't due to conflicts. Cubs & Sox Games not shown on WGN Chicago or WCIU Chicago are broadcast on either CLTV, or CSN Chicago. WGN America broadcasts different programming & does show some Cubs/Sox Games.

WGN-Chicago: (OTA, Cable Local, Satellite Local)
WCIU-Chicago: (OTA, Cable Local, Satellite Local)
CLTV-Chicago: (Cable Local)
CSN Chicago: (Cable Local, Satellite Local & Season Ticket Packages)
WGN-America: (Cable & Satellite)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think your confusing Antenna TV (as in OTA) with "Antenna TV" the channel that shows older TV shows. Thats what K9 was talking about ;)
We know the Cubs and Sox are on WGN9 & WCIU26

CW has warning on my station about this...its saying this..alerts 11-1....You may have heard messages about the possible loss of your CW station.For information,please visit DirectvPromise.com...I believe they will settle this by then or extend the talks and leave stations up imo :)

Did you seriously just quote Media Matters? Anyone who knows what media matters is can see the hacket job on Fox for what it is... a partisan attempt to discredit them.

I'm all for the superstation pack. Let's GET IT GOING NOW!

+1

Best of luck with getting the supers but I just don't see it happening. I hope i am wrong though---and it would not be the first time.

Fox 40 Sacramento CA web post:mad:

Attention DirecTV Subscribers

This Saturday, March 31, 2012, DirecTV’s contract to carry FOX 40 will expire. If we do not reach an agreement, by law, DirecTV cannot carry our television stations on its system.

Despite our best efforts, DirecTV is refusing to offer us fair compensation for the programming we provide, and we remain far apart in negotiations. This is programming that DirecTV charges you for every month, but has never once compensated us. As a result of DirecTV’s inflexibility, there’s a strong likelihood that service interruptions may occur. We feel we have an obligation to make sure DirecTV subscribers are aware that they may lose the programming provided by FOX 40 after this Saturday, March 31st.

Call 800-KEEPFOX (800-533-7369)

Email DirecTV

Tell your friends

Our stations are important assets to the local community. Without a fair agreement, we may not be able to provide the news, sports, entertainment, weather, traffic updates, and other local and national programming that is most important to you, including American Idol, House, Glee, Touch, The Simpsons, Bones and more.

Please call DirecTV at 1-800-KEEPFOX (800-533-7369) and tell them you do not want to lose FOX 40 and all of your favorite programming.

In the event that we are no longer carried by DirecTV, you may continue to watch us over the air via antenna or through an alternative pay-TV provider.

FAQ

What is the issue?
DirecTV has refused to come to an agreement with Tribune-owned local TV stations like FOX 40 regarding the distribution of our programming. For more than ten years, DirecTV has paid popular broadcasters for the right to distribute their programming. DirecTV has never compensated Tribune for the rebroadcast of its television stations and Tribune is now asking for an agreement that is similar to those that DirecTV already has in place with hundreds of other broadcasters and program providers. We believe DirecTV should pay fair market value for the FOX 40’s programming. Remember, DirecTV already charges you to receive our local stations as part of your monthly bill.

Isn't broadcasting supposed to be free over the air? Why should we have to pay for a free service?
It is free over the air. However, DirecTV has been taking our signal, redistributing it, and profiting from it. Remember, DirecTV already charges you to receive FOX 40 as part of your monthly bill. Until now, DirecTV has never compensated Tribune for the rebroadcast of our local television stations, like FOX 40. The agreement we are seeking is similar to those that DirecTV already has in place with dozens of other broadcasters/program providers. As a result of DirecTV’s actions and inflexibility, there is a strong likelihood that service interruptions may begin after this Saturday, March 31st.

It costs a substantial amount of money for us to produce local programming, bid for top-quality syndicated and network programming and invest in high-definition equipment and technology so we can deliver a superior product. Since you already are being charged by DirecTV, there is no reason why DirecTV should increase your bill in order to compensate us fairly.

So, what are my options?
It is important to know that you have many choices! When DirecTV drops FOX 40 you can always watch FOX 40 for free and in high definition over-the-air by using an antenna. We also have agreements with several other pay-TV providers in your area, such as your local cable provider, DISH, ATT and Verizon FiOS.

What can I do in the meantime?
Tell DirecTV you DO NOT want to lose FOX 40.

CALL: 800-KEEPFOX (800-533-7369)
EMAIL: DIRECTV Ask a Question
TWEET: @DIRECTV #telldirectv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)