Tropical Storm News channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Will DIsh also be adding a Tropical Store channel showing local local news casts as the storm moves like DirecTV is doing for this storm and the last big one?

The information channel will broadcast coverage from the following markets:

The will be broadcasting on nation wide Conus, in SD live local news, switch cities as needed as the storm moves.

Seems like an important public service.

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
Ft. Myers-Naples, Fla.
Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.
Gainesville, Fla.
Tallahassee, Fla.
Panama City, Fla.
Mobile, Ala.-Pensacola, Fla.
Montgomery, Ala.
Biloxi, Miss.
Hattiesburg, Miss.
New Orleans, La.

Umm... there is The Weather Channel. They actually do show weather when there is a tropical event... otherwise they show poker or something.

Umm... there is The Weather Channel. They actually do show weather when there is a tropical event... otherwise they show poker or something.

weather channel is useless. Directv actually is showing local newscasts which have a bunch more info than the so called weather channel

Will DIsh also be adding a Tropical Store channel showing local local news casts as the storm moves like DirecTV is doing for this storm and the last big one?

probably not. They wanted it on Dish for free but Charlie wanted them to pay him a nickle to have it uplnked ;)

Iceberg said:
weather channel is useless. Directv actually is showing local newscasts which have a bunch more info than the so called weather channel

Your on the money Ice!
Only problem usually my Satelite is out
Due to the weather.
This tropical storm Isaac took both dish and Direc out more often then not.
To be expected.
We just got the outerbands. We are still getting
Drenched.

Right now they have channel WWL from New Orleans on live.
They have an emergency city conference live going.
Its all commercial free.

The Weather channel has nothing but commercials right now.

I really think Dish should do this also. They already have all the locals unlinked to there central control uplink center, they just need to have one guy watching the feed switching channels to the most relevant local channel.
I am sure DireCTV already has agreements in place for this. I am sure Dish could get them also after all this is an Emergency.

Yep, there's someone sitting up there flipping the feed between the 4 major networks for NOLA, when the commercial comes on one it flips to another. Pretty cool. Too bad the national news doesn't show the real stories.

well they didn't do it during Gustav and Ike 4 years ago while DirecTV did, in a way, Dish doesn't care what's going on in the tropics and the people that will be affected the hardest. it would be cool if Dish put the New Orleans TV market stations on a seperate feed just to be seen nationwide on Dish, but they aren't gonna take a page out of DirecTV's playbook.

There has to be a human watching the channels as when they go to commercial they switch to an other local channel covering the storm. At first I thought it was like Prime Time any time till I notice someone fell a sleep and I saw a few seconds of a commercial.

Yep, there's someone sitting up there flipping the feed between the 4 major networks for NOLA, when the commercial comes on one it flips to another. Pretty cool. Too bad the national news doesn't show the real stories.

One of my sisters had some real horror stories about the aftermath of Katrina.

And I'm still steamed over Katrina, and not just FEMA ("We're handling things just fine at the Convention Center." And a million more). I think they only counted the dead bodies they found. Think how many outside of town just decayed away, and how many never came back to discover just who was missing.

We really should have access to local stations for disaster coverage.

Was watching WWL at work earlier here in OH (My employer has a DirectTV Commercial account) and we get the "Isaac Channel" While WWL Streams their news online it was cool seeing it on the tv... Surprised Charlie isn't doing something like this.. Guess he doesn't want to pay someone to sit around and flip channels.

Your on the money Ice!
Only problem usually my Satelite is out
Due to the weather.
This tropical storm Isaac took both dish and Direc out more often then not.
To be expected.
We just got the outerbands. We are still getting
Drenched.

I believe the channel is for evacuees rather than ones in the storm. If you are in the middle of the storm, you probably can watch the station off-air and not need satellite.

I know during Katrina, DIRECTV's storm channel was praised by evacuees who came to this area and were able to keep up to date with what was going on in NOLA.

Directv is getting their storm channel ready for the big hurricane heading up the east coast just in case.
Will dish have one this time? It is a valuble customer service and they already have the local channels uplinked to there main hub they just to to create the channel. What directv does is they show 24hr live local news. They change local news channels as the storm moves. If a channel goes to commercial they just change to an other local.

Directv is getting their storm channel ready for the big hurricane heading up the east coast just in case.
Will dish have one this time? It is a valuble customer service and they already have the local channels uplinked to there main hub they just to to create the channel. What directv does is they show 24hr live local news. They change local news channels as the storm moves. If a channel goes to commercial they just change to an other local.

like i said the last time when Issac was a big story, the answer is no, we just are lucky to resolve the AMC Network dispute and getting AMC back.

like i said the last time when Issac was a big story, the answer is no, we just are lucky to resolve the AMC Network dispute and getting AMC back.
which was an even bigger storm than Issac and Sandy combined. ;)

Any idea what channel it will be on? Thanks for your help :)

U.S. National Weather Service
3 hours ago
Sandy Moving Northward North of Bahamas, Expected to Impact Mid-Atlantic, Northeast Early Next Week

Sandy will continue moving northward north of the Bahamas Friday night, followed by a turn toward the north-northeast on Saturday and a turn toward the northeast on Sunday, before making a turn to the northwest early next week, with direct impacts expected for the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast U.S. Details...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#SANDY

XM Radio now has there **FREE* channel up, its on XM1 the rotate between the national feeds like the Weather Channel. This works even if you do not sub

DireCTV also has there channel up on 349.

I am very sad that Dish does not have one up, this is an important public service that would not cost Dish anything to setup other than maybe some man hours in the the control room to watch the channel for local news.
It is my hope that Dish reads this and adds there channel with local news coverage "soon".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)