Trouble with 8Ft dish, notfinding any bird.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome -
1) You have to pre-program the receiver with transponder info for active transponders on the satellite you're aiming for. One has to be selected in the tune up screen to monitor Quality
2) I think the 741 requires the skew "0" mark aligned with the very top of the dish.
3) Do not connect or disconnect any coax connections with the power on at the receiver. It may very easily burn out LNBF's or switches.
4) where on the dish did you measure "48.4 elevation"? See attached picture
5) This may be broken off into it's own thread. (hijacked)

Attachments

• polar_mount_pic.jpg
    polar_mount_pic.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 91
Thanks ocean, I'll ring you up. The front of the dish has two tall building. I attached the pictures along. It's frigging cold outside,but everyday I keep tweaking this bad boy. One day!

Attachments

• IMG_20120109_110943.jpg
    IMG_20120109_110943.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20120109_111019.jpg
    IMG_20120109_111019.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 124
you got to be joking? Your only sky is the gap between those buildings? Only Dishpointer.com will tell you what bird is between those two buildings. I suspect a motor will be of no use to you....ever.

Last edited:
Wow. You were facing south when you took the photo right? And you were standing in front of the dish right? If that's the case you can only get 4-5 satellites...... maybe. You should have done a site survey before you bought any equipment.

I read the whole thread and it is / was very educational.
Remember, pictures still may lie.
Just for example. (example only for demonstration and for easy calculation)
If the original poster WOULD need a 45 degrees inclination to aim at the satellite and if the dish is 100 feet away from those tall buildings, then those tall buildings can be 100 feet high and that would be about a 10 story building and still would get a signal. If the OP's dish would be away 200 feet from the building than the building could be 200 feet high and he still could get a signal.
I have been out of school for to many years and I forgot to calculate at a angle of 38 degrees. This is where dishpointer comes in handy.

If i look at the building to right, I see about a 60 foot building or about 6 stories. It looks like the building to the left is taller.

Wow. You were facing south when you took the photo right? And you were standing in front of the dish right? If that's the case you can only get 4-5 satellites...... maybe. You should have done a site survey before you bought any equipment.
No way to get more than 1 or 2 at most 3.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)