Trouble with compression fittings for RG6 quad

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

homeownerGuy

Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
The SealTite connectors slip right off after I install them, obviously I'm doing something wrong.....

Equipment and parts:

Paladin Tools SealTite Pro #1555 compression tool
Paladin Tools SealTite Compression Cable TV "F" connector, for RG6 and RG6 quad, part #9643
Paladin Tools coax stripper for RG6, RG6 quad, and RG59 #1257
Phillips RG6 quad shield, part # SDW52250/17

First, I use the stripper, with quite a bit of difficulty I might add. The tool required adjustments to perform the two strips, one for the outer jacket, and the other down to the center conductor. The adjustments consisted of trial and error turns of a hex screw to finely adjust the cutter knives.

Next, I laboriously folded back the outer shield, slit the outer foil, removed it (from reading on this forum I understand this is the correct operation to perform), then folded back the inner braid. I was not sure if the innermost foil should be slit and removed or slit and folded back. I slit and removed it.

Next, I placed the connector in the compression tool, adjusted to the proper compression length per the included instructions with the tool. I inserted the cable and performed the compression. The connector compresses but the O-ring does not clamp tight enough on the outer jacket to prevent the cable from pulling out of the connector.

What did I do wrong?

Since the O-ring doesn't seal tight enough on the cable, I'm thinking maybe more bulk is needed compared to just the bare cable jacket and the two folded back braided shields. So, perhaps, I should not be peeling/cutting the inner foil layers but folding them back along the cable jacket. I also tried applying more compression than recommended, but this did not make any difference. I'm assuming the cable jacket diameter is a standard size and would not be the cause of this problem... I measureed the O.D. of the cable jacket with my micrometer and it's 0.284". The SealTite connector has an opening of 0.352" (eyeballing with the micrometer in this case).

As you can tell, I'm a newbie on this. I have read the forums but have not encountered anyone having this problem.

Thanks for your advice!:eureka

More info on this problem.

Given that the jacket size of the cable seemed to be incompatible with the SealTite connector, I tried two experiments:

1) Folding back all four shields, instead of cutting off the foils. This increased the diameter of the jacket as it is pushed into the SealTite connector.
Result: tighter, but still easily pulled off connector.

2) Wrapped several turns of black electrical tape on the jacket before folding back the shields. This slightly increased the diamter of the jacket.
Result: connector is tight.

I conclude that the SealTite connector only works within an extremely tight tolerance for the RG jacket diameter. Of course, this is not specified anywhere in the documentation, so it's hit-and-miss depending on the particular cable you buy. This is a very poor product - hard to believe anyone uses it. It's advertised as a premium product compared to the homeowner-oriented connectors that are screwed on by hand. We'll see if the connector actually works. If not, I'll cut off and reterminate after buying a different manufacturer of terminator and compression tool.

I can't imagine anyone using these connectors unless they find a particular brand of cable that has the exact outside diameter needed for the external jacket. There is too much variation in external jacket diameter to deem this connector system as acceptable.

i am having similar problems - i have an IDEAL OmniSeal tool) and have been using ideal fittings - all from home depot and lowes. i am having similar problems where a) they are really hard to push down onto the wire all the way and

b) maybe 1 in 3 actually stays in place after i compress it.

i cant figure out what i am doing wrong here. I am using RG6 Quad Shield that i got from home depot and I have tried folding down all the sheilding, and sometimes just the braiding (cutting off the foil). it just seems to randomly work sometimes and other times not.

let me ask this the sleeve on the fitting will often disconnect while i am pressing it onto the wire. am i supposed to disconnect this and then slide this bottom piece in under the folded back shielding? or is it all supposed to slide over the folded back shielding.

it doesn't seem like it should be this hard - i feel like there's gotta be some small stupid thing i am doing wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts