Troy Smith: Heisman Trophy Winner

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Well it wasn't a big surprise that Ohio State QB Troy Smith was named the winner of the Heisman Trophy. Congrats.

I was glad to see the boy Quinn, they kept trying to geek up till the last week, finish 3rd.

However Quinn will go in the top 2-3 in the draft,
Talk around the NFL is that Troy Smith will go in the 2-3 round, possibly late 1st .

I cannot see this happening, I can hope the happless Lions take him with the 1-2 nd pick in the 1st round, but, wait the Lions are on the clock and Matt Millen takes the Wide Reciever out of Alcorn State ...... No dis respect to Alcorn State, I don't know if they even have a WR.

Better yet, I hope Troy DOES make it till late in the1st round, at least then he will go with a better team and have a better chance of sucess.

btw, Troy is the same size 6'1" and 215 and has a better arm and almost as quick as, you guessed it.

Micheal Vick.
The scouts all think he's to short (Troy), it seams Drew Brees is doing fine at 6'1".

Jimbo

However Quinn will go in the top 2-3 in the draft,
Talk around the NFL is that Troy Smith will go in the 2-3 round, possibly late 1st .

I cannot see this happening, I can hope the happless Lions take him with the 1-2 nd pick in the 1st round, but, wait the Lions are on the clock and Matt Millen takes the Wide Reciever out of Alcorn State ...... No dis respect to Alcorn State, I don't know if they even have a WR.

Better yet, I hope Troy DOES make it till late in the1st round, at least then he will go with a better team and have a better chance of sucess.

btw, Troy is the same size 6'1" and 215 and has a better arm and almost as quick as, you guessed it.

Micheal Vick.
The scouts all think he's to short (Troy), it seams Drew Brees is doing fine at 6'1".

Jimbo

No offense...but he is NOT Michael Vick. When he gets draft...mid 2nd round AT BEST. Though he IS the best player in college football...this will be one of THE WEAKEST drafts in a VERY long time. WHO is the consensus #1?? No ONE is THAT good...!! And QUIN to me is OVERRATED.

No offense...but he is NOT Michael Vick. When he gets draft...mid 2nd round AT BEST. Though he IS the best player in college football...this will be one of THE WEAKEST drafts in a VERY long time. WHO is the consensus #1?? No ONE is THAT good...!! And QUIN to me is OVERRATED.

I didn't say "HE was M. Vick" but he has simular attributes.
personally ,I think if he is not killed by a nobody team he goes with, he has a chance to be VERY good.
People seem to think that a QB that is 6'1" is too short to succeed in the NFL, so I looked at the current QB at 6'1" and Vick was the most obvious one. also Drew Brees is only 6'0", he's doing pretty well...

btw, he's already a better passer than Vick.
I find Vick to be very selfish and normally an erratic passer, thats why he has so many up and down games.
Although his WR's don't help much, can't believe how bad they are.

I will be happy when M. Jenkins moves on, then I can see if he has really forgot how to catch the ball, or if he just needs a change of seanery.

Jimbo

Jimbo, I'll be sorry to see Troy leave for the NFL- NOT! For the record if the Lions draft a QB, I hope it's Troy. It would be nice to be on the same side for a change. I think he's the best at his position, and a proven winner, especially compared to Quinn, who couldn't find a way to win the bid games (MIchigan, USC). This guy is truelly a winner, and exceptionally talented. Congrats, Troy Smith and OSU.

Jimbo, I'll be sorry to see Troy leave for the NFL- NOT! For the record if the Lions draft a QB, I hope it's Troy. It would be nice to be on the same side for a change. I think he's the best at his position, and a proven winner, especially compared to Quinn, who couldn't find a way to win the bid games (MIchigan, USC). This guy is truelly a winner, and exceptionally talented. Congrats, Troy Smith and OSU.

Troy Smith might be a good NFL wide receiver, not a good NFL quarterback.

Quinn will probably be the best qb in the draft this year.

Quinn is more the typical NFL type QB, like Lienert was last year.
I just think that Smith can do more than Quinn and is as accurate as Quinn is if not more.

Then again, in the pro's it;s a bit different, everything is much faster.

cybok,
Please state your reasons why he will not be a good QB.
He's already better than Vick and he plays QB why can't Troy ?

Tell me what Vick does that Troy can't .....

Jimbo

Those are some pretty tough words. I think that Smith could be a good NFL QB. Don't think that he will be great but defiantly has the potential to be good. This year he has proven that he can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball. He also has the scrambling ability when needed.

Micheal Vick,
What has he done ?
Everyone makes him out to be a top 3 QB and he's not even close.

Jimbo

Micheal Vick,
What has he done ?
Everyone makes him out to be a top 3 QB and he's not even close.

Jimbo

Yeah....but if both Troy and Michael Vick were coming out AT THE SAME TIME....I assure you that Vick would be taken WAY before Troy would.....so, with that said....he is NOT a better quarterback than Vick. I mean you state he JUST AS GOOD, the proof will be WHERE in the draft will he be taken....And I think Troy is BETTER than Quinn....look at the Heisman Trophy balloting. IF Quinn was REALLY that good...wouldn't the voting have been CLOSER...??!!! It does NOT make sense.

Yeah....but if both Troy and Michael Vick were coming out AT THE SAME TIME....I assure you that Vick would be taken WAY before Troy would.....so, with that said....he is NOT a better quarterback than Vick. I mean you state he JUST AS GOOD, the proof will be WHERE in the draft will he be taken....And I think Troy is BETTER than Quinn....look at the Heisman Trophy balloting. IF Quinn was REALLY that good...wouldn't the voting have been CLOSER...??!!! It does NOT make sense.

Just because one is taken in the draft above the other does not mean that the person is or will be better than the other.

Well I have to disagree with you guys. I think that although he is a great player, and yes he did win the big games, that Quinn was the better player and will be the better player in the pros. But I do think that Troy diserved to win the heisman. I think that what Brady has done in his career is very amazing, he holds 35 ND records which is amazing when you think about the QBs ND has had: Montana, Beurline.

And the whole thing about Quinn not winning the big games thats a bad point to make, considering ND has a horrible team, the games that they lost this year, Mich and USC they still put up 20+ points, it was their defense which blew it for them, and I garentee that If troy smith was on the irish he could not have pulled the irish to a win either.

But i do believe that Troy was the well deserved winner, mainly becuase the buckeyes were undefeated. But what the hell there is no way that Quinn should have come in 3rd.

Just because one is taken in the draft above the other does not mean that the person is or will be better than the other.

True....but when you are taken higher in the draft...there is a better PROBABILITY of being a better player than being drafted lower.....thats common sense....NOTHING IS A LOCK. Play general manager....which would you rather have.....a 1st rounder in the draft or a 2nd....?

Well I have to disagree with you guys. I think that although he is a great player, and yes he did win the big games, that Quinn was the better player and will be the better player in the pros. But I do think that Troy diserved to win the heisman. I think that what Brady has done in his career is very amazing, he holds 35 ND records which is amazing when you think about the QBs ND has had: Montana, Beurline.

And the whole thing about Quinn not winning the big games thats a bad point to make, considering ND has a horrible team, the games that they lost this year, Mich and USC they still put up 20+ points, it was their defense which blew it for them, and I garentee that If troy smith was on the irish he could not have pulled the irish to a win either.

But i do believe that Troy was the well deserved winner, mainly becuase the buckeyes were undefeated. But what the hell there is no way that Quinn should have come in 3rd.

Why? What has he done differently that would qualify him to be better? I mean Troy is stronger, faster, more athletic, wins....what ELSE does he need to do???
The thing is.....Brady and Notre Dame(when doing well) are media are media darlings. You look at Troy...troubled beginning at Ohio State....black and not given a chance to even play, much less start....and now, wins a MUCH deserved Heisman.....telling....can you honestly say, that Quinn worked as hard as Troy to get to where they got?.....uh oh, I threw out the race card......:eek:

True....but when you are taken higher in the draft...there is a better PROBABILITY of being a better player than being drafted lower.....thats common sense....NOTHING IS A LOCK. Play general manager....which would you rather have.....a 1st rounder in the draft or a 2nd....?

I would want whatever helps my team at that time. I really think that it will be a out right shame if Troy does not go in the first round. He may not be a top 10 pick but he should go in the first round.

Smith is NO VICK and Quinn should go ahead of him in the draft. Doesnt make much sense does it? Neither does the Heisman, and the draft proves it. That silly trophy goes almost every year to the 1st or 2nd place teams QB or RB. I guess defensive players dont count or teams not in the top 10. :rolleyes:

Smith is NO VICK and Quinn should go ahead of him in the draft. Doesnt make much sense does it? Neither does the Heisman, and the draft proves it. That silly trophy goes almost every year to the 1st or 2nd place teams QB or RB. I guess defensive players dont count or teams not in the top 10. :rolleyes:

Yes, I actually hate the fact that Troy did win it.
How many Heisman trophy winning QB's have gone to the NFL and became stars ?
Not many, most QB's are busts that win the Heisman.

Did you know that Troy is the 1st QB from the Big Ten to win the Heisman ...:)

Quinn will go ahead of Troy in the draft, 1. because he's the typical NFL QB, taller 6'4" and that goes a long way in the NFL, approx same weight.
2. he's not real mobile, if your mobile the NFL looks poorly on you as well, unless your the media darling M. Vick.

Of course who ever takes Troy will try to make him a pocket only QB.

The original reason I brought M. Vick into teh conversation awhile back is becasue they are identical in size.

btw, M. Vick still can't comprehend a NFL offense, thats why he has to scramble so much.

Why is a 6' QB considered small and a 6'2" ideal size, 2" is not that big of a deal, it all depends on how you throw the ball (position wise).
Vince Young seems to be doing better now, and he has a very awkward throwing motion, and has scrambled to win games of late.

Quinn will go ahead of Smith in the draft BECAUSE he works with Charlie, thats all.
If Troy goes late in the 1st round, he will go to a better team, and may not play for a while.

Phillip Rivers looks like he's doing pretty well now.

If Troy goes to Detroit or Oakland, he'll do plenty of running seeing neither can build a offensive line and eventually he will be blamed for the team not winning, it's been that way in Detroit for 50 years now.

And I agree that Smith is not Vick because I think Vick is better. WHAT does QUINN have...other than being 4 inches taller...that Smith does not?? Other than Weiss playing media cheerleader.....NOTHING!!! I think Smith is a GOOD QB...I think Quinn is a GOOD qb and until someone can give me a legit reason why he is better...I stand by opinion. I agree with you Vurb that defense SHOULD be included in the Heisman, but Smith WAS the best player in college in 2006. And last year, Reggie Bush was the best player....so as far as I am concern, the Downtown Athletic Club has hit it on the nose....the last couple of years...

And I agree that Smith is not Vick because I think Vick is better. WHAT does QUINN have...other than being 4 inches taller...that Smith does not?? Other than Weiss playing media cheerleader.....NOTHING!!! I think Smith is a GOOD QB...I think Quinn is a GOOD qb and until someone can give me a legit reason why he is better...I stand by opinion. I agree with you Vurb that defense SHOULD be included in the Heisman, but Smith WAS the best player in college in 2006. And last year, Reggie Bush was the best player....so as far as I am concern, the Downtown Athletic Club has hit it on the nose....the last couple of years...

I would hope Vick is better, he's been in the league for 6 years now.
In reality, it all depends on where the QB's go, Quinn and Smith, if they go with better teams they will have a possibility of having a good to great career, if they go to Detroit they can start thier career after they get out of Detroit.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts