True South

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jagee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I have a long 82.2 and lat 33.5 from one site and 33.3 from another and 33.2 from again another.Which one should i use and what compass reading is my true south.

Would i use the Nimiq 2for my true south,And if so what is that compass heading

jagee
185° would be your compass reading for Nimiq 2. Elevation is 51° However you will need a DBS LNBF for that satellite.

You might want to use 79 (AMC5)-12182 H 23000 or 11742 V 11110 instead.
It would be at 179° and 51° and would use a linear LNBF.

You don't have to use your exact "TS satellite" for alignment. Read this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=95921
Bob

Im using a BSC621-2 C/KU Digital LNBF will it work,Im using a h180 motor and a 6 foot fortecstar dish.No adjustment on thre dish just the motor

The BSC621 is a linear LNB so you would NOT be able to use it on a DBS circular satellite.

I have a spacer that goes in the horn to make it circular is that what nimiq2 is

Why would you want the DBS circular satellite? If only because it is your TS satellite for alignment, then use AMC5 like I mentioned before.

I do not know the answer about your spacer for circular. Maybe a "C bander" can chime in here with an answer.
Bob

Great! i will do that,Thank you for your quick come back for a sun.

To answer your other question . just to see if it works thats alll.When a manufacture says so i like to see for myself,Thants all lol

Im sorry i forgot to sak what would be my declination on the moter

The elevation on the motor would be 56.7° (90° less 33.3° [your latitude]). The shaft needs to be parallel to the earth's axis.

Declination for the dish will be about 5.4° - double check this with the manual that came with your motor.

You will need to be able to set both the elevation of the motor as mentioned above and the elevation of the dish (for declination) to get the dish to track the Clarke belt.
Bob

Hey thanks for all your help ill let you know what turns out.

I saw your pictures over at:
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m49/ski5010/
Very nice!!
I will look forward to hearing how you are doing.
Bob

Edit: BYW - now that I know what your setup looks like. All you need to do for the motor elevation, is set the motor shaft to your Latitude 33.6°, by using a $10 inclineometer (available at Home Depot). Then use the inclineometer to set the dish declination.

I see a possible problem? In one of the pictures at the link in the above post, looking at the home made mount, I don't see a place to adjust the declination. If that is the case, then you probably won't get the outter sats, or if you get the outter sats, you probably won't get the middle sats. With a polar mount set-up, you will need a way to adjust the declination to travel the arc correctly. From your location the declination would be around 4-5 degrees, probably closer to 5. It would point the top of the dish in a more downward position. You could possibly put some washers in the 2 top bolts that mount the dish to the mount and achieve this. Good Luck!
Maybe I'm missing something, while looking at the pictures? If so, hopefully I'm wrong and everything will track just fine?

Al

I don't think those are his pictures.
woops: I'm wrong. See later posts in this thread.

And as for declination adjustment, see picture 000_0067.jpg (second one).
That long threaded thing, just to the right of the orange smudge (reflection?), right above the black motor, is the declination screw.

....hrmmm.... actually, you can see it even better in: 000_0065.jpg
and the elevation screw can be seen below the motor in: 000_0066.jpg

Last edited:
I have a spacer that goes in the horn to make it circular is that what nimiq2 is
I've seen several people mention that the diletric slab that comes with that lnbf setup only affects the c-band side. It makes for circular c-band but not ku. I am not aware of why this would be (other than the slab may have differing effects on the larger wavelength than the smaller?) I'd shoot for a linear sat before venturing into the lesser traveled path.

I see that, but looking at the picture, I can't see how it moves the mount up and down. That must be it though, just seems like something should be slotted to allow for movement. Maybe it has that, but I can't see it?
No Wait! I think I see a possible slot in 000_0067.jpg , just under the bolts at the mount, there is empty space, that could be a slot. So forget my other post. Sorry!

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)