Trying to come close to cable TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drboyddrboyd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
US
OK, I'm a reasonably handy and computer literate individual, and I'm willing to invest a couple bucks in FTA if it can be pretty close to as user-friendly as cable.

I figure if I can ditch the cable, I can afford to invest $600-$700 or so in a system.

Sound reasonable so far?

What I need, though, is something to keep The Sarge happy, and she will not put up with nine remotes and figuring azimuth readings and the geospatial circumnavigation quotient of the muffler bearings. Trust me when I say that I know this for sure. :rolleyes:

So, can I put together a system that won't need me to be up on the (two-story) roof twice a week, will get a couple hundred channels in HD (it's OK if some of them are in Latvian or whatever), and can be automated to the point where she selects a channel, pushes a button, and the motor tracks to the new sat and it tunes in badda-bing?

I'm assuming that whatever receiver I end up with will have PVR capabilities if I add a hard drive.

Is this just wishful thinking, or is this do-able?

Thanks!

I would not recomend getting into this thinking it will be a direct replacement for premium pay satellite or cable with dvr etc. What it is great for is, hobbyist/tinkering, adding a few channels to you existing setup of OTA, cable, satellite etc. You will find some sports feeds, a few full time channels in HD, more in SD, news feeds, full time news channels form different viewpoints than the mainstream, along with the mainstream, ethnic programming, religious programming etc. Check out the list and read through the forums a bit to get a better idea.

I would still encourage a fta investment as it is a great hobby, but you need to have a better idea of what it is. A couple hundred full time HD channels it is not.

The closest you can come is a some type of 4DTV service. This requires a C Band dish and regardless of what others say I would NOT go with less then 8 foot.

Like ghia said, I am not sure you will find what you seek with true FTA.

I wish you well.

Take a look at:
FTAList.com - The easy list of North American free-to-air TV channels
and you will get an idea of what is available. You will not be able to get much HD in a format that would be easy for your wife to use. Most HD that is up there is in the form of unpublished feeds of sports events. The hobbyist searches them out and then enjoys the fruits of his labors.
Some folks love their motors - while others don't. Motorized systems should be mounted in such a way that they are easy to get to and work with. For instance, a motorized system on the peak of a two story house would be very frustrating.
Bob

Last edited:
And for a guide, you'll probably have to rely on a computer, not the receiver.

I don't mention 4DTV, because it won't do much of what you requested.

What the others said, but I will add a bit...

OK, I'm a reasonably handy and computer literate individual, and I'm willing to invest a couple bucks in FTA if it can be pretty close to as user-friendly as cable.

I figure if I can ditch the cable, I can afford to invest $600-$700 or so in a system.

Sound reasonable so far?

Not really, if you are firm about the "pretty close to as user-friendly as cable" part. There will be no Electronic Program Guide like you get on digital cable, or the schedule you get on basic cable.

You can get schedules online for some channels through Titan TV, (and other places) but you need a computer to see this...

What I need, though, is something to keep The Sarge happy, and she will not put up with nine remotes and figuring azimuth readings and the geospatial circumnavigation quotient of the muffler bearings. Trust me when I say that I know this for sure. :rolleyes:

So, can I put together a system that won't need me to be up on the (two-story) roof twice a week, will get a couple hundred channels in HD (it's OK if some of them are in Latvian or whatever), and can be automated to the point where she selects a channel, pushes a button, and the motor tracks to the new sat and it tunes in badda-bing?

After set up, it would be automated, so you select a channel with the remote, the motor tracks to the satellite and the receiver displays the channel. (after waiting for the dish to move)

But are the channels that are available something that either of you want to watch? (review that FTA List link wescopc posted) Much of the HD is sports feeds, so you have to scan for those - can't count on when and where they would be. (it's like fishing) A lot of the rest of the HD content is network-type TV, not cable channels. (there are some, though)

I'm assuming that whatever receiver I end up with will have PVR capabilities if I add a hard drive.

This is true, but you will end up programming times and channels into the recorder, not names of shows. (again, no program guide)

Is this just wishful thinking, or is this do-able?

Thanks!

Yes, and No...

Having said that, I spend as much or more time watching FTA as compared to my Dish Network subscription. I like searching for and finding unexpected stuff. Also, This is simply because there is so much junk on pay TV...:(

I have no desire to watch most of the channels I pay for. There is so much waste because of how they bundle the packages. They don't offer a-la carte programming for a reason....:dev

FTA has some very good programming. That being said it's spread across many satellites on both C and KU bands. There are also different encryption methods; DVB, DVB S2, MPEG 2, MPEG 4, DC 2, etc... There are also linear and circular polarization methods. You want to make sure that the equipment you buy is compatible with what you want to receive.

It is possible to set up a combination C/KU system with receivers and LNB's that are capable of decoding all of these different methods, but it will take some doing. As stated earlier, though, it will not necessarily be a direct replacement for cable or pay satellite service. If you decide to proceed with FTA, I would also consider a good Over The Air antenna system for your locals, or a lifeline cable package that contains just local channels.

As others have mentioned, supplementing with broadband access and a computer with Media Center (PVR), PlayOn, Boxee, etc and subscription to NetFlix may help. To extend it to another room, get a media extender (i.e. DLink 750). Otherwise you will have withdrawls :), especially if your viewing habits are mostly cable channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts