Trying to find Nimiq 82W

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

silverbulletspider

Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
texas
I am near McAllen, Texas next to the Mexican border trying to point to 82W without much success. I have a 9241 PVR and the standard 24" dish. I have been able to lock onto 91W but given I have a dual LNB for HD programming am missing out on all the HD stuff and cannot seem to find 82W. Currently my dish is set at 150 (azimuth)and 64 (elevation) with a strength of 73. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Also, I gather many of the channels 'drop out' down here - anyone have a list of the channels that 'should' come in?

82 wont come in at all in Texas

Bell moved all of 82 to a satellite (Nimiq4) that is mainly at Canada. I have OK reception in Minnesota but folks in Jersey & PA have issues and need bigger dishes

no way it will work in Texas

Iceberg is 100% correct. I am in Nashville, TN and I pull in 82W with a 39 inch dish. I tried a 36 inch but that did not pull in all the transponders.

I would consider myself to be on the southernmost fringe of reception. Even a 6 foot would likely not pull the signal in at your location as you are several hundred miles further south than Nashville.

Look at post #1 below for an idea for reported posters for signal strength with 82W:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/canadian-satellite-services/166004-nimiq-4-contour-map-first-take.html

From reports we have on this site, the western half of the US signal fringe cut-off for 82W is around Denver CO. Like the others above have stated, there is no chance for you to get a good signal from 82W in Texas anymore. If you want Canadian HD you will need to either setup a slingbox linked to a receiver in the northern US or Canada or change your provider to Shaw Direct.

Many thanks Iceberg, OnlineLC and QCK for your learned advice. I thought maybe it would work down here. Actually before leaving Canada I called Bell to cancel my service, but you know the story, well they gave me a new PVR and another HD dish free for a year to stay with them. However, given we are in Texas for almost 5 months and cannot get Bell HD the only option seems to be to cancel my service completely - I tried suspending only my HD service but they said they could not do that.
The only problems I see with going to Star Choice is a change in the actual channels AND given I also have a Hughes Internet Satellite system where buddies have told me they cannot watch Star Choice TV and work on the internet at the same time due to interference. Maybe a separate ground mount for the Star Choice dish would work - has anyone got experience with that?
It would be nice to be able to talk to Bell about the problems etc, but of coarse as soon as they find out you are in the US they will cut you off and lie that it is a CRTC rule you cannot use Bell in the US.
Anyway, looking forward to hearing more sage advice.

The only problems I see with going to Star Choice is a change in the actual channels AND given I also have a Hughes Internet Satellite system where buddies have told me they cannot watch Star Choice TV and work on the internet at the same time due to interference

I havent heard of that before. Starchoice is KU Band and I know of a few free to air folks that have Hughes and use KU Band with no issues.

The channels are pretty much the same on both systems. Starchoice has some that Bell doesnt and vise versa

QCK,
I am also in Texas, just north of Corpus Christi and have the same problem. I am aware of the 82 issue but would like to receive HD without changing from Bell. Can you tell me what a slingbox is?

I have a Slingbox Pro HD which I use to watch TV on my laptop.

A few things you will need to consider.

1) You will need to find someone with a Bell HD Receiver that it can hook up to. Note: you in effect take over that receiver so it almost needs to be one that is not used frequently.

2) It is not genuine HD. I think it gives something like 500-600 vertical lines of resolution but not 720P. If you wish to connect it to your TV you may want to look at the Slingcatcher also.

3) Both of you will need a really high speed internet and monthly bandwidth limits may be an issue. I typically get 8000 MB/s within the LAN (ie at home) but the speed (and HD quality) drops off if I am in another location.

82 provides amazing signal strength in Fairbanks, Alaska. I don't have my sub any longer though. Using an old 18" Direct TV dish only 1-2 degrees above the horizon I had every transponder with good strength. The signal strength table referenced above has my report from Fairbanks included. I guess when they shifted their footprint North we won out up here!. There is a photo of the setup in the "Home Theatre Pics" section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)