Trying to get locals from a different place

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TSUSnakeGuy

Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Pineville, LA
Ok I live in Pineville, LA. Tonight I called and had my service address changed to Mobile, AL because thats where my mother in law lives and she can get locals on her Direct TV there. I can not get locals here. Well the channels showed up on my box here in Pineville but now the satellite can not find signal. It keeps saying "Searching for signal on Satellite (771). What does this mean. Can I not get the locals from Mobile on my dish. I have read online of folks getting locals from places no where close to where they live. I really REALLY need help. Thanks in advance.

Ok I live in Pineville, LA. Tonight I called and had my service address changed to Mobile, AL because thats where my mother in law lives and she can get locals on her Direct TV there. I can not get locals here. Well the channels showed up on my box here in Pineville but now the satellite can not find signal. It keeps saying "Searching for signal on Satellite (771). What does this mean. Can I not get the locals from Mobile on my dish. I have read online of folks getting locals from places no where close to where they live. I really REALLY need help. Thanks in advance.

You're probably out of range of the spot beam that carries the locals. DirecTV beams locals only to a general area.

Next time you move, check with someone in the area your moving from and see if they get good numbers on YOUR sat and transponer in the Signal Strength meter.

I didn't know you could change you service address. Do you need a valid address or just any address will do.
example my locals are tampa what if i want Miami

I didn't know you could change you service address. Do you need a valid address or just any address will do.
example my locals are tampa what if i want Miami

Check the Spot Beam to see how far it goes first, but I think you would be OK in FLA.

Keep in mind also that if you "move" that's the addy D* says you are located at so if you need a tech that is where he is going. Also, just so this is out there, your TOS states that you agree to be at the location on your account.

This1, any service addy needs to be a viable address. It doesn't have to belong to someone but it needs to match up with streets for that area or the computer will kick it out.

Knowing how far the Mobile locals go to the East, I'd say that you'd be pushing it to make it to Baton Rouge going West - and you're even father West then that.

Baton Rouge, maybe New Orleans, Monroe, Shreveport, Lake Charles area, maybe Jackson - you could try one of them.

I don't have it bookmarked but I know there was a spreadsheet around here a few years ago that listed that transponders went with which DMAs (locals.) I know I checked that before I did anything (mine showed low 90s.) There's also a map floating around with a very rough overlay of where the spotbeams hit. I know because of where I live I can get Milwaukee to the North, St Louis to the West, Indy to the East, and anything between those and Southern IL.

here ya go...now when checking markets make sure you're not in a closer spotbeam with the same transponder # ;)

Attachments

• TPN_MAP_100728.xls
    489.5 KB · Views: 182
Anywhere to send corrections to? I couldn't find a link.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts