Trying to get the Sears deal

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
Dealing with Sears for Voom is like dealing with a pawn store for a Porsche. It's a god-awful process. I want the $399 + free programming through May deal. I don't know if that's only a regional thing, but I sure hope not. It's a saving of about $275 for me, and that's pretty significant. Does anyone know how to get your local Sears to honor that price? My local Sears people (multiple stores) had absolutely blank stares when I asked them about it. Any help is appreciated.

-MP

Here's something posted by dragonldy_mon at Yahoo Group. See if it can help you.

Okay Paul, you are not crazy.
Here's what you do:
Go to Sears.
Buy one of their 49.99 Sears/VOOM certificates.
Wait 24-36 hours for it to process into the system.
Then you call VOOM.
Tell them you have a Sears Certificate and you want the Sears 399.00
offer.

Tell them which plus pack you want to be included when programing
charges start, and away you go.

Before the flood gates open...we have this figured out for Sears, I
don't know that it is figured out for Charter Members..I'll keep you
posted on that.

VOOM Reps have been instructed not to elaborate on this promotion
unless the Customer specifically asks for it.
Auh, hell until late last week we didn't even have a way to enter it
into the system. Let alone know what was involved with it. cocked
brow.

I wouldn't be saying a word on this if Sears hadn't mucked things up
with you. That's kinda where I draw a line in the sand. No making
subscribers wonder if they've fallen down Alice's rabbit hole.

I'm sorry you got sucked into the whirlpool with us. Let's get it all
straightened out for you. I think you'll like what you see. grin

Yep, thanks. That was me on the other list ;). I'm heading to Sears today for the deal.

Howdy MadPoet; Sean, :)

Q: What is the advantage of buying VOOM's receiver?
OR
Going through Sears?
:confused:

Well, it looks like the answer of going through Sears is:

1) $100 cheaper on the first receiver
2) Free Va Va Va Voom through May (not sure on this one... conflicting reports)
3) Longer MBG

Buying it means I'm not paying $20/month in rental fees. So if you assume 7 months until upgrade to PVR, I will have saved $400 in charges for $600 upfront charges. That's a pretty hefty chunk of change. Again, that number assumes:

$100 less for the receiver price
$160 saved in programming (if the end of May thing is true)
$20/month saved in box fees

For me, it seems like a steal to buy it. But I understand the upfront cost is prohibitive.

-MP

Is this offer good anywhere? Or just the prior 10 states that were mentioned?
Thanks.

Cool! Thanks Sean, I just may be VOOMing sooner than expected, hafta beat that $10 price increase.

"Dealing with Sears for Voom is like dealing with a pawn store for a Porsche."

Quote of the week

Hi all!!!
I am purchasing an HD RPTV from Sears and they have the Voom deal but nobody there seems to know what the offer really is. As a matter of fact they don't even have anymore of the $49.99 coupons.

So my question to you is how does the promo work and is it worth it over the $0 down and renting the equipment offer?

Also how long is the wait once the order is made for them to come out, install and plug-in?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

I just called my local Sears to ask about VOOM and the $49 coupon. The guy I spoke with said to come into the store, purchase the coupon, take it home and call VOOM to initiate the installation.

Besides having to pay for the SD programming, my only holdback to VOOM is the lack of Firewire out. Can these units output SD/HD at the same time? That would certainly make recording a lot more user friendly.

Thanks.

DarrellP said:
I just called my local Sears to ask about VOOM and the $49 coupon. The guy I spoke with said to come into the store, purchase the coupon, take it home and call VOOM to initiate the installation.

Besides having to pay for the SD programming, my only holdback to VOOM is the lack of Firewire out. Can these units output SD/HD at the same time? That would certainly make recording a lot more user friendly.

Thanks.

Yes, they can.

truqui said:
Hi all!!!
I am purchasing an HD RPTV from Sears and they have the Voom deal but nobody there seems to know what the offer really is. As a matter of fact they don't even have anymore of the $49.99 coupons.

So my question to you is how does the promo work and is it worth it over the $0 down and renting the equipment offer?

Also how long is the wait once the order is made for them to come out, install and plug-in?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

If they don't have any, I was told by Voom sales support to tell them to contact their district manager for what to do. As for the details, see the price breakdown I posted earlier. In the long run it makes sense for me, but it might not for you.

Thanks Sean, that's one more plus for VOOM. I'll have to talk to my room mate and see if he wants a receiver of his own and go the $0 route if he does (then I can get him to split the program fee with me ;-) )

Thanks madppoet...!!!

I'm still :confused: but let me see if I can get it!!!
Bear with me because I don't have any HDTV right now and I'd love to get it once I receive my new TV so I don't have to deal with my pittyful digital cable anymore (at least on my main, new TV) I had D* years ago before I bought this new house and I haven't installed STB yet waiting to get an HDTV. Now is the time...!!!

Sears told me that if I buy my HD RPTV (Mits 55WS413) and the Voom $399 deal I get:
- The TV obviously
- Voom Dish installed
- Voom receiver installed
- OTA antenna imstalled
Anything else?

Also if I do it this way Sears will send me a $500 Gift Card :yes which in a way offsets the $399, right?

Now because they didn't have the $49.99 coupon, they couldn't tell me what it was...so what is this coupon for?

Sorry for the long post but my head is sort of spinning...

It's not a coupon :). It's an install certificate. You buy it, then call up Voom (or wait for them to call you) and give them that certificate number. They deduct the $49.99 you paid for the certificate from the hardware you buy. You get the programming free through the end of May. The $500 card is pretty sweet.

-MP

truqui said:
Thanks madppoet...!!!

I'm still :confused: but let me see if I can get it!!!
Bear with me because I don't have any HDTV right now and I'd love to get it once I receive my new TV so I don't have to deal with my pittyful digital cable anymore (at least on my main, new TV) I had D* years ago before I bought this new house and I haven't installed STB yet waiting to get an HDTV. Now is the time...!!!

Sears told me that if I buy my HD RPTV (Mits 55WS413) and the Voom $399 deal I get:
- The TV obviously
- Voom Dish installed
- Voom receiver installed
- OTA antenna imstalled
Anything else?

Also if I do it this way Sears will send me a $500 Gift Card :yes which in a way offsets the $399, right?

Now because they didn't have the $49.99 coupon, they couldn't tell me what it was...so what is this coupon for?

Sorry for the long post but my head is sort of spinning...

Sears Promo

Anyone bite on this deal instead of the lease deal.

$399 for the Receiver and Installation. $49 for a start kit which then deduct from the price of the receiver. So total cost is still $399.

This includes the VaVaVoom Package free untill 6/1/04 and then you have to choose between the Regular Voom package or the VaVaVoom. The kicker is that the Sears Promo is saying that you will still get one Premium Pack with the $39.99 Basic Package and then its $14.90 per extra Paks.

If this is the case this sounds like a better deal then the lease promo. You figure you would save at least $160 on Free programming until 6/1/04 and then you would also save $14.90 a month for the free Pak.

If anyone has used Sears on this promo let me know what the situation is with it. I called Voom and told them I might cancel my Lease package and sign up through Sears which is the only way to get the free programming according to Voom's CSR.

Thanks

Yes, several of us have. See my thread below entitled "Trying to get the Sears deal" for my details :)

I guess my main question on the Sears deal is they state you can choose 1 Plus Pak free with the $39.90 Programming and then its $14.90 per any extra Pak's. If I go the lease deal there is no free Plus Pak included. Before I go with canceling the Lease and buying through Sears does anyone know for sure that we will be receiving the free Plus Pak in the $39.90 package after the free programming ends on May 31st.

If this is the case its a no brainer to go through Sears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts