Trying to remove a dent in a dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Likvid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
I have a dish where i try to remove the dent in it but i fail as tried to smooth it out and it's gone but it seems the tension is moving around so if i smooth it out it will come up in another place close to the original spot.

Is there any way to remove a dent safely in a aluminium dish? the dent just seems to move around....

It's stretched the metal.
Is this a solid aluminum or mesh? (I'll take a stab at both)
Solid-Only way I know of "how to shrink metal" is heat and then cool rapidly. Warm it up with a torch, apply a cold wet rag.
Mesh-probably remove the panel. Roll it (or?) to flatten out the imperfections. Would probably have to trim it to fit as this may stretch it some.

I straightened a mesh panel by removing it then laying it on my shop concrete floor with the bent side facing up. I then took a large rubber mallet and proceeded to flatten it out. When I went to reinstall it it worked better upside down instead of like it was when I removed it. This was a panel that was held on with screws on my 7.5ft SAMI dish.

My 10ft Winegard dish has several panels that have extensive hail damage but those are captured in a way that I can't remove them without cutting some metal away on the outer edge of the dish frame and I really don't want to do that. I have pushed some of those hail dents out with my thumb from the back side though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)