Trying to set a 6 Foot dish at 99c

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

James leandre

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
26.4 N, 81.4 W
How is everyone doing today.
I have a 6 foot dish I got for free. I'm trying to lock on 99.0w Galaxy4R/c. My latitude is 26.4N,Longitude 81.4 The 6 Foot dish won't be motorized for now. I used the Latitude/
Declinatin chart form www.Geo orbit.org the second page that shows the modified polar mount.I put the elevation at 26.56, using the chart I added 26.56 with 3.81(Declination offset angle) to get the declination angle. To make a long story short. I couldn't get 99c. On the 6 Foot dish,some of the panel a little tear. Do you guys think that the dish is still good? Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• CIMG0207.JPG
    CIMG0207.JPG
    644.9 KB · Views: 232
  • CIMG0208.JPG
    CIMG0208.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 236
  • CIMG0206.JPG
    CIMG0206.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 223
  • CIMG0205.JPG
    CIMG0205.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 223
  • CIMG0204.JPG
    CIMG0204.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 216
  • CIMG0202.JPG
    CIMG0202.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 264
  • CIMG0201.JPG
    CIMG0201.JPG
    1,024 KB · Views: 228
  • CIMG0200.JPG
    CIMG0200.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 211
your elevation is way off. Since its a fixed dish I dont think those numbers you use. When I plug in your location to thelist's aiming chart I get
99.0°W Galaxy 16 C/Ku
53.5° elevation
221.4° azimuth
31.4°L skew

Your elevation needs to be way higher. I'm in Minnesota and that elevation is 38 for 99W. That little tear wont hurt most signals.

I would log a transponder into the receiver when aiming a dish. World Harvest is very strong
H

Or if you have an old analog receiver around use that. Analog is WAY more forgiving than digital. Dial up TP16 vertical. Shepherd's Chapel to rough ball the signal. Then you can peak on WHT

I'll use the information that you've given to me to repoint that dish.I'm Confused about the Declination adjustment, I'll try to play around with that too.

The declination and elevation angles refers to aiming at your zenith, only if you're setting the polar mount to allow the dish to track the arc while pivoting on the polar axis. If you are only aiming at a single sat, (With the polar pivot locked to center) the only angle that's important* is the dish elevation. This would be measured on the back, on the dish mount ring, or on a straight edge spanning the front of the dish, top to bottom. * skew must be adjusted by manually rotating the feed in the scalar. Then rotate the mount on the pole to acquire signal (Q).

Thanks, guys for the info. I've installed fixed and motorized ku band dishes. This is my first time setting up a C band dish. After a couple of months, I'll try motorizing the 6 foot dish.

Last edited:
* skew must be adjusted by manually rotating the feed in the scalar. Then rotate the mount on the pole to acquire signal (Q).

I was interested in this comment. With my Chapparel feed horn only rotating the whole button hook is possible ! Were you talking about a lnbf ?

Tony

Yep, Pic #6 shows a DMX242, or similar, LNBF with an adjustable scalar(I think). My ADL also requires rotating the whole button hook. but my Chapparel and BSC421 is adjustable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)